Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 11:01 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,788,537 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ9To30Hz7A&NR=1

This would be an example of why I support separation of church and state. It's very nice to offer up a prayer before undertaking the serious duties of the senate, but unfortunately, people have abused religious clauses to disgrace themselves and religion itself. Secular governments then get put in a position of having to dictate impartially that you all have to leave because it's disruptive to the core job mission. Why anyone believing themselves faithful would get into such ridiculous contests makes me believe they are not only faithless, but the religion they profess is a sham. No where in the Bible does it state Gods word is to be delivered by thugs.

America is not a contest of religions. It's permission for all to exist and leave government out of the space between a man and his maker. Abusing that privilege only forces the issue to a point where restrictions have to get put in place. No one stole prayers from school, people overstepping their boundaries, being disrespectful of all others, using intimidation tactics and children as human shields, turning public schools into a battleground for personal crusades did. America is not 'owned' by any one particular religion, and- irony of ironies- this broken mentality, this hubris within Islam/ Christendom/ Judaism, is the very thing killing faith faster than it's possible to be cultivated.

Public officials are obliged to represent all constituents of all faiths no matter their personal faith. This is the nature of our representational system. It's congruent with standards of professionalism and with justice blindfolded using only scales to measure. These symbols of America represent aspects of our constitution that are willfully being ignored.

Any religion conducting itself as if God were exclusive real estate to covet has gone wayward. This includes incidents like...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFfZ6rYJrL0

Prayers in school-- things were very nice when the first 3 minutes of the school day began with the 'moment of silence'. You were free to pray, free to invent excuses for missing homework, free to daydream, but it did quiet down all our minds as if a warm up exercise to prepare to open our brains. Then screwy religious people trying to stand on my head came and messed it all up, blaming heathens/ whatnot for why the world is sinful. I say hail mary's but why should a jewish kid, or any other kid, have to? I was taught to say my prayers, not to say someone else's prayers. No one put a gun to my head to learn those prayers.

More screwy religious people causing a ruckus...
West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After all this time y'all still can't buy a clue. You pick fights where there were none, act as if God is your personal bricbat, beat the living daylights out of your own religion and claim yourselves martyrs. Nothing makes atheism/ agnosticism look so enticing than ignorant bloodthirsty religious folks. Ignorant not of the ways of the world, but of the very religion you claim as your own. Resorting to nasty tactics only disgraces faith, which in turn serves as the worst possible examples for children. Atheism isn't killing religion, faux religious are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies