Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:38 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This article explains a little about property-based voting.

Nonresident Property Owners and Voting in Local Elections
Thanks for posting... more informative than my links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 11:48 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,762,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
BS thread. I rented for years and ALWAYS voted. The owner of the property would grant you the right to vote ( so-to-speak).
No different than what they want. They don't want illegal homeless vermin voting.

Wow. Speaking of blind hatred...

You realize that there are plenty of homeless college graduates right now right? And that you have to be a citizen to vote?

Who are some of you people? The ignorance is disturbing at times...

Old 11-30-2010, 11:48 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
Ooops. No votes for our men in uniform - the majority of whom are renters or housed by the military.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:53 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
As mentioned... it varies by location. I'm involved with Post Office Leases and in one State the procedure is the Tax Collector Sends out a Bill each year and we submit proof the property is currently leased to the USPS... very glad too, because the billed amount is substantial... at least to me.
What state is that because I've got numerous post office properties and havent heard of such a thing...

Old 12-01-2010, 07:00 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
"The homeownership rate in the United States[1][2] in 2008 remained similar to that in other post-industrial nations[3] with 67.8%"

One third of Americans are scum of the earth.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:01 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,532,697 times
I love it I love it. Lets go tea party. I hope they take all non white males rights to vote. That is how they will insure no more Obamas ever,which is and has been their platform. The poor and all other ethnic groups deserve everything the tea party gives them. You didn't want to vote,well now the tea party will make sure you don't have to worry about it. Go ahead and kick back like you did in November. I hope it goes much much further. I hope they stop public schools for the all except white land owners. Ahhhh the good Ole days.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:26 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,296,264 times
Default Should Only Property Owners Have the Right to Vote?

Just recently Judson Phillips, the head of the Tea Party Nation said that only property owners should have the right to vote. Here is the quote from his radio address which has been splashed across various news outlets in the media:

"The Founding Fathers originally said, they put certain restrictions on who gets the right to vote. It wasn’t you were just a citizen and you got to vote. Some of the restrictions, you know, you obviously would not think about today. But one of those was you had to be a property owner. And that makes a lot of sense, because if you’re a property owner you actually have a vested stake in the community. If you’re not a property owner, you know, I’m sorry but property owners have a little bit more of a vested interest in the community than non-property owners."

I'd like to know people's thoughts on this, both for and against.

I'll start with mine, but I don't have any problem with those who disagree with me.

1. Anytime you start taking away a citizen's rights, whether granted by the constitution or subsequent amendments, it seems a little fascist to me. If we take away the right to vote from those who don't own their own property, where do we draw the line? Take away the right to vote from women and African Americans? By excluding millions of American citizens, you can effectively have a minority voting public that can more easily be manipulated.

2. It seems very ignorant to me. A) as I understand it, the founding fathers didn't just qualify land ownership as property (as Phillips has done in subsequent comments), they included such items as horses, cattle, wagons, silver spoons, and furniture. I read that the total dollar amount of all the property you needed to own in order to qualify to vote is equal to $20,000. So even though you may rent your apartment, the value of your car, TV, and couch would qualify you to vote in the founding father's time. B) Phillips and other proponents have gone on to say that voting should be tied to property taxes. Even if you rent an apartment, you are still paying property taxes, it is figured in as a component of your rent. In some cases, renters are paying a higher percentage of their rent for property taxes than many homeowners do on their mortgages.

3. This could be construed as possibly rascist since a larger percentage of the the white population tends to own property than other minorities.

4. Before I bought my house, I lived in an apartment complex where a friend of mine also lived. He is Army Special Forces and has done several deployments to Iraq and Afganistan. According to Phillips, this young man and others like him who have and will continue to risk their lives to fight for this country should have no vote in their government electorial process. How wrong is that?

Now for your thoughts....

Old 12-07-2010, 04:28 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
No one owns property in the United States.

Don't believe me? Don't pay your property tax aka "leasing fee" from the government.

In a country with condominiums and apartment homes, that would be a bad idea anyway.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:30 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
He said it makes a lot of sense. I don't think he was actually advocating we go back to it...but I take that as more of a "remember back when" statement.

The Founding Fathers' intent was for landowners to vote--because they had a stake in things.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:31 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Judson Phillips is a MORON! The answer to the question is NO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies