Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 01:19 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Good news...but doesn't it make you wonder if South Korea would've been willing to sign such a deal if they weren't under imminent threat of war from the North? It almost sounds to me like they now feel they can expect an American intervention if things get really bad over there. I just hope that deal was signed without any hidden strings attached.
Absolutely. It's pretty much just a "give us jobs and if sh*t hits the fan we'll have your back"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 03:04 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred314x View Post
good news...but doesn't it make you wonder if south korea would've been willing to sign such a deal if they weren't under imminent threat of war from the north? It almost sounds to me like they now feel they can expect an american intervention if things get really bad over there. I just hope that deal was signed without any hidden strings attached.
bingo!!!

Old 12-04-2010, 04:10 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
Just a wild guess.....but......

South Korea would have told Obama to "pound sand" on a trade treaty, if the guns of North Korea had remained silent.

Steve

Since we've had a mutual defense treaty with South Korea now for nearly 60 years I doubt that was much of an issue. If they get into it with the North, we're coming anyhow, whether they agree to buy cars or not.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:16 PM

28 posts, read 15,554 times
Huff Po is saying this is a NAFTA style treaty that will **** us over, but of course. I hope not, but this coming right after the Commie pricks up North bombed our allies, seems fishy.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoddard View Post
Huff Po is saying this is a NAFTA style treaty that will **** us over, but of course. I hope not, but this coming right after the Commie pricks up North bombed our allies, seems fishy.
"You buy some US vehicles and we'll cover your back"..you think ??

Old 12-04-2010, 05:09 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Good news...but doesn't it make you wonder if South Korea would've been willing to sign such a deal if they weren't under imminent threat of war from the North? It almost sounds to me like they now feel they can expect an American intervention if things get really bad over there. I just hope that deal was signed without any hidden strings attached.
They've been working on this for years and it was supposed to be done when Obama took his trip to east Asia last week but it seems there was still negotiations going on at that time.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
They've been working on this for years and it was supposed to be done when Obama took his trip to east Asia last week but it seems there was still negotiations going on at that time.
Since Bush was in office and that's a long time.
S. Korea didn't budge on the beef issue though; they still will not take our beef.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:04 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
"The economic argument for free trade should be no more complex than the moral argument. Tariffs are taxes that penalize those who buy foreign goods. If taxes are low on imported goods, consumers benefit by being able to buy at the best price, thus saving money to buy additional goods and raise their standard of living. The competition stimulates domestic efforts and hopefully serves as an incentive to get onerous taxes and regulations reduced."

Old 12-06-2010, 05:23 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
I think this is great news & hopefully a turning point in both job creation & the economy.

Hopefully we can continue negotiations like this one with other countries.
It's not big enough to turn around the economy.

We have an aging population which will have higher medical and social services cost.

We have not invested enough in infrastructure and there are those that are resistant to investing in infrastructure even though it a proven factor in promoting economic growth.

We have not had any significant technical or scientific innovation that you could call a "Game Changer" in the last decade. That is by far the best way to promote long term economic growth.

American companies and investors are increasing their investments outside of the United States to emerging market nations. The labor costs are lower, and the economies are growing faster. There is simply more profit to be made investing in these countries than the United States. That is by far the biggest reason why the economy will continue to just limp along.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:31 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
"The economic argument for free trade should be no more complex than the moral argument. Tariffs are taxes that penalize those who buy foreign goods. If taxes are low on imported goods, consumers benefit by being able to buy at the best price, thus saving money to buy additional goods and raise their standard of living. The competition stimulates domestic efforts and hopefully serves as an incentive to get onerous taxes and regulations reduced."
Tell me how you compete with a certified public accountants in Sri Lana that make $5,900 while those in America make $59,000 a year?

How do you compete with a solar panel factor worker in China that makes $1.80 an hour when one in the United States makes $27.00 an hour?

How do you compete with engineers and scientist in India, and China that make about one third less than the same ones in America?

You can't. That's what many Americans don't understand. In terms of labor cost the United States is no longer competitive in many areas. That has driven a tremendous increase in direct foreign investment from the United States to other countries in the last decade.

For about 55 years the United States was on the winning side of capitalism. We are now on the losing side in many ways. The United States has long term structural economic issues that it must address if it's going to fully recover. At this point I seriously doubt with have the political leadership to address these issues in either party.

Last edited by JazzyTallGuy; 12-06-2010 at 05:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies