Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 09:49 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times

Advertisements

I am beside myself. I just stumbled onto CSpan covering the "Don't Ask Don't Tell" hearings.
An Admiral, a General, The Defense Secretary, and some other guy, have just testified that the policy should be changed. Done, and done, right? What more is necessary?
Each Senator on the committee now feels a need to bloviate ad nauseum. Sen. McCain would like to extend the hearings longer so that they can have MORE TIME to bloviate. ARRGGH!
No wonder nothing ever gets done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 09:51 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
DADT is the least of our problems. Politicians really do not belong in this discussion. More pandering to special interest groups for votes.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:10 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am beside myself. I just stumbled onto CSpan covering the "Don't Ask Don't Tell" hearings.
An Admiral, a General, The Defense Secretary, and some other guy, have just testified that the policy should be changed. Done, and done, right? What more is necessary?
Each Senator on the committee now feels a need to bloviate ad nauseum. Sen. McCain would like to extend the hearings longer so that they can have MORE TIME to bloviate. ARRGGH!
No wonder nothing ever gets done.
Funny, I believe the Army and Marine heads claim it will not be welcome in their ranks, especially those in the front line, in combat.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...al_520659.html

Quote:
At today's Senate hearing, three of the four service chiefs expressed opposition to repealing the Don't Ask, Don't Tell (DADT) policy on gays in the military. "My recommendation is that we should not implement repeal at this time," said Marine Corps commandant General James F. Amos (watch his opening statement here).The Pentagon's survey showed that 67% of Marines in combat arms units--infantry, artillery, armor--believe repealing DADT would have a negative effect on their unit's performance.
I guess we should put trust in the politicians instead of the boot on the ground?

I guess you didn't watch ALL of the broadcast - how could you miss this?

Old 12-05-2010, 11:16 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,588,499 times
Only in America could something so simple take months, at best, years at worst, and millions upon millions of dollars in "studies" to accomplish, when the reality is it's just common sense. You don't need studies for common sense. You just need to say "there, we changed it".

Instead we've got guys like Harry Reid turning it into a political football by taking a vote that would have passed and tacking on Dream Act into it so it would fail, McCain waffling on whether he would listen to the commanders or not (because he misjudged what the commanders would say), Obama trying to play chess when all it is is a game of Tic-Tac-Toe with all of his "strategies" and challenging court rulings, etc.

It's a shining example of why this country is going down the tubes.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:31 AM

276 posts, read 477,117 times
It should be noted that during Bush's nightmare, there was heavy infiltration by evangelical theocrats. That's why you can have have some people saying there would be no effect, and others screaming hysterically that it would be the end of the world.

Religion. Again.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:26 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,762,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsobchak View Post
It should be noted that during Bush's nightmare, there was heavy infiltration by evangelical theocrats. That's why you can have have some people saying there would be no effect, and others screaming hysterically that it would be the end of the world.

Religion. Again.

LOL. care to name names?

Old 12-05-2010, 04:05 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Rediculous.

I never could figure out why this is an issue. In the service you will follow the rules they set forth, end of story. You follow them or you are out. Nothing else matters. If someone can't be molded into whatever the service wants to mold them into then they don't belong there but I don't think the hows and whys of their sex lives ever figured into it.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:50 AM

22,193 posts, read 19,476,372 times
John McCain has flipped flopped the ever living hell out of himself on this issue

Old 12-06-2010, 01:31 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,709,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Only in America could something so simple take months, at best, years at worst, and millions upon millions of dollars in "studies" to accomplish, when the reality is it's just common sense. You don't need studies for common sense. You just need to say "there, we changed it".

Instead we've got guys like Harry Reid turning it into a political football by taking a vote that would have passed and tacking on Dream Act into it so it would fail, McCain waffling on whether he would listen to the commanders or not (because he misjudged what the commanders would say), Obama trying to play chess when all it is is a game of Tic-Tac-Toe with all of his "strategies" and challenging court rulings, etc.

It's a shining example of why this country is going down the tubes.
Mccain did not misjudge what "commanders" would say. The discrepancy is that some commanders are not being heard, and some commanders are being politically correct. It is true that the military does not care whether a soldier is gay. What is also clear is that (gay or not) all soldiers must put service before self. The Don't ask policy is a fair compromise... BUT, the gay rights people want more.
The military succeeds when members put aside their individualism, and fight for the team. By allowing gay soldiers to "tell" you are opening up a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened. The military culture (and the military law) is a lot different than civilian life. By telling gays that they can be "gay' you are giving them a false sense of reality. yes, they can admit that they are gay... NO, they can not really act gay because the military will still not allow ANY behavior that does not fall in line with military policy.
here's some things to consider...
Do you think we should allow gay pride parades on military installations?
Do you think that servicemen should be allowed to participate in any public gay events? (i.e. parades)
Should rainbow flags be flown on base?
If a soldier had a gay marriage, (i.e. Massaschussets) what is his status in the military? single? married? other? What about benefits?

As you can see, there are many issues that will need to be addressed if they just change the law. It's not a simple matter.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:43 AM

22,193 posts, read 19,476,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Mccain did not misjudge what "commanders" would say. The discrepancy is that some commanders are not being heard, and some commanders are being politically correct. It is true that the military does not care whether a soldier is gay. What is also clear is that (gay or not) all soldiers must put service before self. The Don't ask policy is a fair compromise... BUT, the gay rights people want more.
The military succeeds when members put aside their individualism, and fight for the team. By allowing gay soldiers to "tell" you are opening up a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened. The military culture (and the military law) is a lot different than civilian life. By telling gays that they can be "gay' you are giving them a false sense of reality. yes, they can admit that they are gay... NO, they can not really act gay because the military will still not allow ANY behavior that does not fall in line with military policy.
here's some things to consider...
Do you think we should allow gay pride parades on military installations?
Do you think that servicemen should be allowed to participate in any public gay events? (i.e. parades)
Should rainbow flags be flown on base?
If a soldier had a gay marriage, (i.e. Massaschussets) what is his status in the military? single? married? other? What about benefits?

As you can see, there are many issues that will need to be addressed if they just change the law. It's not a simple matter.
It actually is very simple. Stop the hate, Stop the bigotry. Stop the venom, let them serve.

As far as any behavior that does not fall in line with military policy, someone who breaks military policy should be subject to discipline whether they be gay or straight. No one is trying to argue that. However, it shouldn't be one set of rules for gays and another set of rules for straight people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies