Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Here's how it's fair:

As of 2007 the top 1% of US households possess 42.7% of financial wealth. The top 20% of households have a total of 93% of the wealth. The other 80% of households control a measly 7% of the wealth. (Source: economist Edward N. Wolff at New York University (2010))

Shouldn't those who control the overwhelming majority of wealth in the country pay the most taxes? Makes sense to me.

A better question is how do you think people who control only 7% of the wealth in the US can possibly fund the government? The answer is they can. If you have more wealth, you pay more taxes. Completely fair.
National Taxpayers Union - Who Pays Income Taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 08:46 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
This thread has already been stomped to death. IOW... it's a duplicate.

It has nothing to do with ENVY or HATE. As I said in the other thread of the same topic, it's pure unadulterated DISGUST. Go ahead and keep taking from the blue collar to make your white collar, whiter. Unbelievable.

This stupid argument just reiterates how much more deserving the 'upper crust' feels. It's not all that difficult to understand that while it takes money to begin a business, it's the workers that keep it going. Without workers there is NO product. NO profit. But cheap labor allows you to buy that 4th car. That swimming pool. That golf club membership. And whatever else you FEEL you NEED. While it's very difficult for the average American to even buy ONE car that can at least get from point A to point B without trouble. This has become a country with a large problem of unappreciative business owners. Shame on you. Shame on America for allowing this to happen.

Sleep well and sweet dreams.
Do you have any idea why most of the "rich" are "rich?" Or why a CEO makes a lot more money than a "worker?" The average "worker" has very little consequence to a business and usually has a lower education level and is more replaceable than Upper Management level Executives. CEO's bear a lot of responsibility and their day to day decisions can have either great, or disastrous long term effects on the company.

Besides, with out the planning, organization, and vision of an entrepreneur all of that production would be aimless. I mean if a CEO is worthless and his job is "easy" then you do it. You start your own company, it's a free country. Go ahead and start a company that's the beauty of free enterprise...while it lasts.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:48 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
If your source is some conservative, right wing, propagandist, sorry, I'll stick with the academics.
In other words if your source says anything that I don't like I'm going to ignore it and stick with what makes me happy.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:49 PM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Envy, the left believes they are smarter than us meer mortals and should therefore be rich. And of course anyone who makes more than them must have gotten their wealth through nefarious means.
Envy is perhaps more suited to those that can never have enough. And yes there are a large number of folk whom obtained their wealth through under hand means.
Few seriously rich would see themselves as mere mortals,one suspects.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:50 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Seriously, why? Please share.
I don't hate them - heck - I don't even dislike them. As a matter of fact, I greatly admire a large portion of them.

The ones that don't have my undying devotion are the likes of Bernie Madoff, the heads at Enron, and a guy like Stan O'Neal who killed Merrill Lynch, yet walked away with a $160 million pay-off. Those type of guys I have a real, genuine dislike for.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:51 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
In other words if your source says anything that I don't like I'm going to ignore it and stick with what makes me happy.
Actually no. I stick with sources that are unbiased and factual. Not sources that distort factual information to advance their agenda.

Facts are facts and lead where they lead, whether I like it or not.

Please don't assume that everyone is as close minded (or perhaps willfully ignorant) as most right wing conservatives seem to be.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What makes you think they're not paying their fair share?

Keep in mind that by law, it is an INCOME tax. Think about each group's share of the INCOME compared to the share of the tax revenue they pay.
Most places in the world the poorer folk pay a far greater percentage of their wage and in fact subsidize the idle rich.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Here's how it's fair:

As of 2007 the top 1% of US households possess 42.7% of financial wealth. The top 20% of households have a total of 93% of the wealth. The other 80% of households control a measly 7% of the wealth. (Source: economist Edward N. Wolff at New York University (2010))

Shouldn't those who control the overwhelming majority of wealth in the country pay the most taxes? Makes sense to me.

A better question is how do you think people who control only 7% of the wealth in the US can possibly fund the government? The answer is they can. If you have more wealth, you pay more taxes. Completely fair.
Complete sense,but unfortunately what makes good sense few governments would introduce greater taxation on those who earn the serious money as they wouldn't pay it.
They would hide behind creative accounting or even move to lower tax havens. They are for tax purposes almost untouchable.
Not the case for the rest of us middle class and working class of course. We are hammered from every direction. Question should be why would anyone feel at best more than indifference for the rich?

Old 12-06-2010, 09:05 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
Quote:
Glad you mentioned this. Here are the numbers for income:

The top 1% receives 34.6% percent of the nation's income.
The top 20% receives 85% of the nation's income.
That leaves 15% of income for the bottom 80% of the nation.

I read the Millionaire Next Door. Great book. It has nothing to do with the rich paying their fair share of taxes.

I make about $120,000 per year. I believe I pay my fare share of taxes. Could I pay a little more... Sure. However, I think people who make more than I do and have more wealth should pay more taxes. I don't see why anyone would argue with that.
Because who are you to decide how much is someone else's "fair share?"

Old 12-06-2010, 09:07 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
Actually no. I stick with sources that are unbiased and factual. Not sources that distort factual information to advance their agenda.

Facts are facts and lead where they lead, whether I like it or not.

Please don't assume that everyone is as close minded (or perhaps willfully ignorant) as most right wing conservatives seem to be.
Sorry, I just normally assume that all liberals and progressives are as close minded and ignorant as the ones that represent them here on CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies