Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 08:41 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,593,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
What about your time, or your labor? Aren't those resources that they can steal from you?
No. You make the choice to enter into an agreement to work for a certain wage. There are labor laws against stealing that from you.

Quote:
By the way, most products or services are not worth what they're asking for them, but if you can't find it any cheaper, I guess you're going to pay for it anyway.
You don't have to buy them. You agreed to make the exchange. You must think it's worth it or why would you do it?

Quote:
I should be getting a lot more food for what I spend on it--but I have to buy food even if it is overpriced. I have to pay rent, to have shelter, even if they overcharge for it. I should be able to get somewhere decent for about $350 a month--but there's no place like that around here.
Prices are set by the market forces. Again, you choose to enter into that exchange. You give money and someone provides food; that's not stealing.

There is no place like you want for the price you want, that does not equate to stealing. You are free to move somewhere else if you wish; again, it's voluntary.

It sounds like you're complaining because you don't get to steal someone else's time or labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 08:51 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,085,759 times
I love the rich! It's all fair, I mean, Paris Hilton deserves that money, she worked her ass off literally for it and why should that poor girl pay more taxes? She wouldn't get to do her charity work with the drug dealers of our country..........she does fund a lot of business ya know...........I bet she even pays top prices for her drugs. Way more than the local grocer or small shop owner would, it's all fair, no complaints. LOL
Most of the rich in our society work their butts off, be it reality talk show, or facebook..........they are working a lot harder than any plumber or construction worker I've ever seen. OMG, and the press, geez, the gifts, they are stressed! Besides, who would we make movies about if we made them poor. Sarah Palin is the perfect example, she has worked her way to the top! We just love this stuff, and pay a pretty price for our loves. You go girl!

Old 12-14-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I love the rich! It's all fair, I mean, Paris Hilton deserves that money, she worked her ass off literally for it and why should that poor girl pay more taxes? She wouldn't get to do her charity work with the drug dealers of our country..........she does fund a lot of business ya know...........I bet she even pays top prices for her drugs. Way more than the local grocer or small shop owner would, it's all fair, no complaints. LOL
Yeah, the middle class and the poor never buy drugs...

Old 12-14-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Yeah, the middle class and the poor never buy drugs...
Really, then I guess I'll retract my shop owner and grocer comment. Good to know!

Old 12-14-2010, 09:29 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,404,948 times
Because (ignorant) people buy into the Hollywood stereotype that rich people are all vapid, selfish Paris Hilton types who go around lighting cigars with hundred dollar bills and constantly plotting new ways to stick it to the little guy.

It's funny...all the rich peeps I know (except for one who inherited it, but even before that, she made her own money) work 80 to 100 hour weeks, worry about their employees and customers incessantly, and are just trying to make a better life for themselves and their families.

But that would make a boring Hollywood movie or TMZ episode, I guess.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:29 AM

I guess it's just the high paid athletes and fake celebs then.............you know, our "rich" people. Maybe, just a thought, the playing field seems a little lop sided.....we pay a little more for a quarterback than we do a firefighter, but maybe thats just me, silly ole' me..... If our priorities matched our need for entertainment there might not be such animosity, ya think?

Old 12-14-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Because (ignorant) people buy into the Hollywood stereotype that rich people are all vapid, selfish Paris Hilton types who go around lighting cigars with hundred dollar bills and constantly plotting new ways to stick it to the little guy.

It's funny...all the rich peeps I know (except for one who inherited it, but even before that, she made her own money) work 80 to 100 hour weeks, worry about their employees and customers incessantly, and are just trying to make a better life for themselves and their families.

But that would make a boring Hollywood movie or TMZ episode, I guess.
My point exactly, maybe if we were more obsessed with watching shows about hard working rich people we could give it a balanced view, but, we don't so we don't..........and why is that do you think?

Old 12-14-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Really, then I guess I'll retract my shop owner and grocer comment. Good to know!
Glad I could help.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:08 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,404,948 times
Quote:
My point exactly, maybe if we were more obsessed with watching shows about hard working rich people we could give it a balanced view, but, we don't so we don't..........and why is that do you think?

No drama. All american media is based on drama generation. Watching my pal Steve schlep all over the country 350 days a year or watching my bro and his wife work 16 hour days is not nearly as interesting as watching some idiot who can throw a ball fast decide whether he wants $30 million in NY or $35 million in Philly.

And the average american is stupid enough and shortsighted enough to allow whatever information bombard him the most convince him that is reality and the truth.

Right now, the only info we have is that rich people are 'Wall Street Fat Cats' and undeserving moronic celebs and athletes. Whereas the majority of what Obama and his minions have dubbed 'rich' ($200k and above) are boring regular joes who *earned* their money by just working their butts off, competing, sacrificing, and investing in their future. Think of this...how many people know that only 20% of millionaires inherited their money?

Old 12-14-2010, 10:23 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,523,397 times
It's not so much that I hate the rich, but what rich people have done to this country. I hate the rich "banksters" that have swindled our hard-earned taxpayer dollars in massive bailouts, just because they made a bad call (and I thought risk-taking was part and parcel of being a capitalist, guess I was wrong on that point. ) I hate the rich corporatists that send good jobs overseas just to save a few bucks for themselves. I hate rich Hollywood types that have everything anyone could ever want in this world, only to throw away their lives on drugs, booze and romantic break-ups. I hate the rich types that make it extremely hard for someone who's been unemployed for any length of time to get a job, and then turn around and call them "lazy" for not working (that's one that really gets my goat ).

And I hate the way that the rich have become richer while the middle class is sinking relentlessly towards poverty and destitution - is this what you "richies" want for our country, to be a 3rd world backwater? And before any of you trot out yet another example of working 3 jobs and 100-hour workweeks, what if everyone was born smart, extremely hard-working and ambitious, and everyone performed the same actions that today's "successful" people have taken - do you think everyone would be rich? I think not. And besides, who would be around to pick up the garbage and run the tills at the grocery store? Who would be the cops, and the teachers, and the postal worker? Who would be working in the nursing homes, or in the call centers? How about we give these people a bit more dignity, a bit more pay so they can enjoy life comfortably and more securely, and give the rich a bit less, after all, they ain't gonna miss it too much, whether they're taxed at 35% or 45%. And who in God's name needs to be a billionaire? A cap should be put on total wealth above an extreme level, say around 500 million dollars, so all that "locked up" wealth can be put to good use in society. These people are not gods, and they shouldn't be treated as such. People are people, no matter how "important" they may feel.

The rich people in this country have better start counting their blessings for being able to live a charmed life, as their days as millionaires and megamillionaires are most likely numbered. Once the great middle class of this country have been reduced to penury, while they're forced to watch the rich drive to work in their snazzy, expensive vehicles from the window of smelly, dirty buses on their way to extremely low-paying jobs, well, can anyone on here say the year "1917"? Or better yet, repeat the word "communism" for me. Say it nice and loud, so I can hear ya.

For that's what's coming down the pike, if things don't change, and soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies