Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 03:38 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel.S View Post
What are you afraid of? It was you that made the comment. I'm simply calling on you to prove it.

I've heard your statement from more people that I can count, most of which are jobless now.

Yep, I'm calling you out Snake! Put your money where your mouth is if it is as easy as you make it out to be !!!
Sorry Sport, I don't have a job I can "quit". I'm self-employed. You know, the type of people that, if fired from a job, would waste no time either getting another or making one for themselves.

I had such a good year that I'm taking some time off til Spring. Plus I owe the wife a nice vacation after New Years.

If it makes you feel any better, I can fire myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 03:40 PM

180 posts, read 391,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
My wife did (put her money where her mouth is).

Less than a year ago, she lost her job. It was pretty good pay. So, she started looking, but rather than take unemployment, she snagged up a job in less than a week (for much less pay) and continued to look for work in her field. When she didn't find anything in 6 months, she looked up some other fields to which were more specific and would pay higher on entry. Now she is attending school for 10 months and will have transitioned into the new field shortly (all while working that job).

I have never taken unemployment in my life. When I have been let go from work, I look for something as good, but in the mean time, I take anything to pay the bills. My wife and I have both worked 3 jobs in the past while searching for something better.

I am not saying people are lazy, but there are many who are too proud to lower their intake to keep working and providing for themselves. I don't think poorly of people who take unemployment, it is just something that I never consider as I would rather mop bathrooms than take handouts.
In my entire life I've never been unemployed. When my company folded I went back to school and retrained. I have 2 jobs waiting for me right now. Thing is, I made certain I would have a job as soon as I graduate.

With that said, I would never ever resort to all these personal attacks. It's all about timing right now and a lot of luck in landing a job. Need I remind you that one out of 10 people in the U.S. is unemployed? Many job openings have over 100 applicants for one position !!!!!!!

This recession is just going to get worse. I can easilly see 5 more years of decline in jobs. Don't get too snug, luck only holds out for so long!!!!!!!

Old 12-09-2010, 03:48 PM

180 posts, read 391,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Sorry Sport, I don't have a job I can "quit". I'm self-employed. You know, the type of people that, if fired from a job, would waste no time either getting another or making one for themselves.

I had such a good year that I'm taking some time off til Spring. Plus I owe the wife a nice vacation after New Years.

If it makes you feel any better, I can fire myself.
First, my name is Gabriel NOT Sport thank you.

Self employed? Yep been there for 20 years. If it makes you feel any better, I am in the process of setting up another business as well.

With that said, Unlike you, I will continue to support the unemployed.

Last edited by Gabriel.S; 12-09-2010 at 04:01 PM..

Old 12-09-2010, 04:45 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
Some of you people make me sick. You act like every person who is unemployed is getting some kind of enjoyment out of this horrible situation. I really never thought I would stoop to this level of wishing something bad on people who I don't even know, but being unemployed changes you. Every time I hear someone say we are lazy or milking the system it makes my blood boil. There is nothing that would please me more (other than getting a job) than to see you people lose your jobs. Maybe then you would wake up and smell the coffee.

You are a shining example of a person who doesn't think things through, and then cries when unintended consequences arise.

Let's say I do lose my job. It won't happen, but let's say. It's going to cause a domino effect. Because if I lose my job, there are about 10 other people that are going to lose theirs, as well. Not only that, but I'll quickly find another job. Which will displace someone else, who will end up having to take a job beneath them, which will displace THAT guy, who will displace someone beneath him, etc. and ultimately fall down to a guy on the bottom rung, who becomes hosed.

Well done.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:47 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Strange math. If $9.00 per hour, times average 160 hours per month, would mean $1,440.00 per month earnings. Why would a person keep to $315 per month, or is that a typo?
He got $315/week. I must have made a typo.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:51 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
Some of you people make me sick. You act like every person who is unemployed is getting some kind of enjoyment out of this horrible situation. I really never thought I would stoop to this level of wishing something bad on people who I don't even know, but being unemployed changes you. Every time I hear someone say we are lazy or milking the system it makes my blood boil. There is nothing that would please me more (other than getting a job) than to see you people lose your jobs. Maybe then you would wake up and smell the coffee.
I don't care about the cause of unemployment, 99 weeks of gov't handout is enough. That's almost 2 years. Unemployment benefits were never intended to be a substitute income for 2 years, but rather a supplement to savings and other personal income during periods of short term unemployment that was beyond your control.

As with many gov't programs today, unemployment benefits have become another entitlement, and people feel they are owed that money. How many people have turned down jobs, maybe lower paying or distasteful jobs, because they had unemployment benefits coming in still? That's not how it's supposed to work or was intended to work.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:51 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
Perhaps the sore spot you have hit is the fact this person doesn't like being unemployed, is looking, and people like you (who HAS a relative milking the system) are assuming that this poster just doesn't want to work.

Clean up your own family if you are so worried about people milking the system and perhaps those that actually need unemployment will still be able to get it. Aren't you part of the problem if you know someone who is being dishonest and doing nothing about it?
Okay, right, so I'm supposed to stop someone in my family, who I'm not close with, who lives 1400 miles away, from milking the system? She's done it for the last 20 years (since she had her first child of 4 at the age of 18), there's nothing I can do to stop her. And why is it my responsibility to "fix" her? Why can't the gov't do its job and figure out where the waste/fraud/abuse is? She already knows how I feel and doesn't discuss these things with me b/c she knows I'll call her out on it. What else am I supposed to do?

My relative has no bearing on my morals, obviously, since I've never taken any kind of handout. Don't try to corral me in with those types.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:52 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
He got $315/week. I must have made a typo.
First off, in many states, it's well above 315 a week. I know where I live, they get over 400 a week. I think they get 447.

So the person would actually be LOSING money by taking a 9 dollar an hour job. So, obviously, they'll sit around and not take it.

But let's ramp it up some. Let's say the job pays 15 dollars an hour. 15x40=600 a week. A net gain of 153 dollars a week for the individual. They'll take it, right? No. They'll rationalize it to themselves that if they take it, they'll have to pay Social Security taxes and Medicare taxes and have to pay for gas to get to and from work and will have to, oh no, get out of bed every morning. It's worth losing the 153 bucks to them to not have to surrender 40 hours a week of their lives to working as opposed to watching TV.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:53 PM

117 posts, read 160,523 times
If they all lost their jobs then who would pay for you unemployment check? Just sayin.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:54 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
This is such a funny thread!

There are those who CLAIM they have a job but spend all day in CD...guess their message is:

If someone else is cheating..Bad.

If I am cheating by being in CD when I should be working...it's OK.

Some people work from home.

Some people are 1099s who can do as they please and don't have an employer breathing down their neck.

Some don't work b/c they don't need to, whether they are retired or b/c they're between jobs and are living off savings for now.

Now, the real question is...who here is receiving UE benefits whilst sitting on CD all day??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies