Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 11:21 AM

321 posts, read 920,867 times

Advertisements

Sadly they do have a constitutional right to do this. I think the reason they are doing it has a minimal amount to do with Mrs. Edwards opinions but rather this is a high profile funeral and will get them the attention they desperately seek for themselves (point in case it's all over the news). The best thing to do is ignore them - put up police barriers to maintain security for attendees of the funeral. To engage in friction with them only adds energy to their cause. They be who they be - we aren't going to change that - nor would you want anyone to ask you to change your beliefs. It's deplorable and I feel for Elizabeth's family but to respond to this negatively is not the answer.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:23 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,196,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
At least they are in the open spitting out their hate...

You have to hide behind something to do your deed!

Man up and go after them in the open!
And go to prison for killing those POS's, they're not worth it, I'd deserve a medal!

Old 12-09-2010, 11:25 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
You're confusing things. It's one thing to suggest that there is a form of manifest destiny, or exceptionalism, it's another to place America in scripture as Israel.

That's much, much different. It's just not consistent with Biblical teaching.

As for your other question about mormons being Christians? Do you think a mormon would consider me, and Evangelical Christian, to be mormon? There is a distinction. We have 2 very different sets of theology.
For starters, there is NOTHING consistent about the bible, religion or theology, it is ALL subjective opinion open to interpretation by whomever is holding a holy book. Its just not consistent with YOUR teachings is what you are taking exception with.

As to whether Mormons believe you to be a true Christian or not and vice versa, well I suggest reviewing Ford's post below.

Argumentum ad populum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
She became the target of a crazy person/group of crazy people?

/got nothing.

Jesus & Christianity/his movement challenged the Status Quo and thus, he had to die.

Wanna hear something really weird? Jesus wasn't the only person who claimed to be the Son of God, even way back then. He just got the most attention.
List of people who have claimed to be Jesus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's another observation. You are walking down the street and you see a man, speaking softly, then powerfully, and quoting scripture. Suddenly, he claims, "I AM THE SON of GOD!"

Is he CRazy?

Same situation, except he has two people sitting at his feet, nodding and saying, "Praise be to GOD."

Are they crazy?

Now, there's 1000 people in a huge mass. SAme dude. SAme words.

CRAzy?

Now there are 570 million people around him.

CRazy?

Old 12-09-2010, 11:30 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
You're confusing things. It's one thing to suggest that there is a form of manifest destiny, or exceptionalism, it's another to place America in scripture as Israel.

That's much, much different. It's just not consistent with Biblical teaching.

As for your other question about mormons being Christians? Do you think a mormon would consider me, and Evangelical Christian, to be mormon? There is a distinction. We have 2 very different sets of theology.
If they believe in Christ and the bible, they are but another Christian sect.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:31 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Don't you read your own book? I'm dying to hear your rationalizations on this. Let me guess, these passages meant something entirely different or were intended for Jews or something, right?
You ought to at least TRY to read stuff in context. It's intellectually dishonest to not make the attempt.
Quote:

Quote:
Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them. (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)
That looks like it's stating that Christians might own slaves...but does it endorse slavery? Does it say we have a "right"? Do you have a clue what slavery looked like back in that time, or that a man would willingly enter into it? Do you even have a clue that it was not based whatsoever on race and looked nothing like modern day slavery?

Quote:

Quote:
The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given." (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)
"servant" != "slave"

Nevermind the problems you have understanding the difference between then and now.

Quote:

Quote:
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)
Still no mention of any "right to own slaves". Especially not racially based.
Quote:

Quote:
When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)
Now, in addition to the incorrect understandings above, you've gone back to OT times to look at the OT Law. Notice it doesn't encourage or endorse slavery--it actually protects slaves.

Quote:

Don't you read your own book? I'm dying to hear your rationalizations on this. Let me guess, these passages meant something entirely different or were intended for Jews or something, right?
But will you actually make an attempt to understand or correct your incorrect views on the subject? That is the big question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If they believe in Christ and the bible, they are but another Christian sect.

That's the thing though---neither the mormons or the westboro inbreeds are willing to "believe" what the Bible says. They have created their own Jesus that suits their needs.

Can I be a mormon if I claim that Joseph Smith was a black woman from Canada? Or is there any kind of basic requirement?

Old 12-09-2010, 11:42 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,271,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
Westboro Baptist Church says it will picket Elizabeth Edwards’ funeral – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

This is outrageous! In the past a few people on here defended this scum church and their right to free speech. I'd like to see if they still back their right to picket the late Ms Edwards' funeral.

What did she do to deserve this?
She was a Democrat!

Old 12-09-2010, 11:42 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
You ought to at least TRY to read stuff in context. It's intellectually dishonest to not make the attempt.

That looks like it's stating that Christians might own slaves...but does it endorse slavery? Does it say we have a "right"? Do you have a clue what slavery looked like back in that time, or that a man would willingly enter into it? Do you even have a clue that it was not based whatsoever on race and looked nothing like modern day slavery?

"servant" != "slave"

Nevermind the problems you have understanding the difference between then and now.

Still no mention of any "right to own slaves". Especially not racially based.

Now, in addition to the incorrect understandings above, you've gone back to OT times to look at the OT Law. Notice it doesn't encourage or endorse slavery--it actually protects slaves.

But will you actually make an attempt to understand or correct your incorrect views on the subject? That is the big question.

That's the thing though---neither the mormons or the westboro inbreeds are willing to "believe" what the Bible says. They have created their own Jesus that suits their needs.

Can I be a mormon if I claim that Joseph Smith was a black woman from Canada? Or is there any kind of basic requirement?
The problem is the bible. It is so ambivalent, contradictory, and vague that it has many interpretations. We have seen thousands of sects all from the bible.

About slavery from your good book:

Quote:
If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom. If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year. But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him. If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master. But the slave may plainly declare, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children. I would rather not go free.' If he does this, his master must present him before God. Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl. After that, the slave will belong to his master forever. (Exodus 21:2-6 NLT)

Quote:
When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

Old 12-09-2010, 11:44 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Looks like yet another thread about the bad behavior of one family formed "church" has turned into a "bash Christians" thread.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:44 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The problem is the bible. It is so ambivalent, contradictory, and vague that it has many interpretations. We have seen thousands of sects all from the bible.

About slavery from your good book:
No...it really isn't that unclear. It's very clear and specific if you spend some time and actually read it. Nowhere will you find that it endorses slavery, or that it encourages it. Slavery happened as a result of war, financial issues, and man's sin. God allowed it to happen, and gave them rules on how to treat their slaves...but he didn't command it.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:48 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
I wouldn't worry about it. All the people have to do is get there before them, take all the parking around and block their view and view of their signs. It has been sucessful in other attempts to picket, lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies