Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 10:14 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
President Barack Obama on Wednesday signed a $1.15 billion measure to fund a settlement initially reached between the Agriculture Department and minority farmers more than a decade ago. A few hundred black farmers were discriminated against a generation ago. So 40,000 black farmers today get $50 Grand each. I Heart USA.

National Black Farmers Association

http :// Imagineifwhitepeoplemade WhiteFarmers. org

--
Are the white farmers that Shirley Sherrod discriminated against going to get the same treatment? Or the millions of college kids that get rejected because they are white?

-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrNWw7TGkjo
I completely agree! Thanks for bringing this up, I had forgotten about Sherrod. Now we can really see the hypocrisy of this black farmer reparations thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Funny how many black farmers popped up faster than you can say "cash crop" when this suit came about
Suing the fed is a cottage industry nowadays.

Oh and Mike Espy the scandal plagued former Secretary of Agriculture whose tenure took place during all the so called discrimination, is now a lawyer representing some of the plaintiffs.
No conflict of interest there
Agreed. On both counts. Reading the facts about this case makes me sad and angry at our justice system. We are losing LOTS of money on paying the farmers here, especially considering that the vast majority of them were not farmers at that time and/or were too stupid to read the notice about the filing date properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Cry me a river. Let's see if we can find that pacifier.

Those black farmers should be paid millions each. Blacks have been discriminated against for centuries. Good to see that under Obama, progress is in order. Inequities are being addressed for a change.

About kids getting turned down because they're white, this has never happened. They instead get turned down because MECHANISMS ARE IN PLACE TO RECOGNIZE OTHERS, and others are better qualified. For centuries, this wasn't the case.
So I assume you're pro-reparations, right? What a ridiculous post, to basically expect a half-black president to implement some kind of handout for black farmers who are committing fraud. Not sure if you missed the video about the last part, Sherrod openly admits to discriminating against whites. What "mechanisms" are you talking about? AA? Right, like that was a successful and non-racist program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Maybe the poster should try playing the race card by quoting a comedian. lol
LOL I agree! Funny how the black people always pull out the race card and then say whites are the racist ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 10:17 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,367,490 times
nice of that bumbling idiot to spend more of the $$ belonging to our grand-kids to suit his racist agenda.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:01 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Probably beats being a white Christian middle-class male; from 1985-2020
Cry me a river!

Old 12-12-2010, 12:10 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I completely agree! Thanks for bringing this up, I had forgotten about Sherrod. Now we can really see the hypocrisy of this black farmer reparations thing.

Agreed. On both counts. Reading the facts about this case makes me sad and angry at our justice system. We are losing LOTS of money on paying the farmers here, especially considering that the vast majority of them were not farmers at that time and/or were too stupid to read the notice about the filing date properly.

So I assume you're pro-reparations, right? What a ridiculous post, to basically expect a half-black president to implement some kind of handout for black farmers who are committing fraud. Not sure if you missed the video about the last part, Sherrod openly admits to discriminating against whites. What "mechanisms" are you talking about? AA? Right, like that was a successful and non-racist program.

LOL I agree! Funny how the black people always pull out the race card and then say whites are the racist ones.
Don't people see the scam here. We're talking a few hundred farmers from waaaaay back, and now the taxpayer is responsible for paying some 40,000 supposed "farmers" $50,000.00 each?!? I'm not buying it. There are black people that were never even farmers that are getting this money. As long as youre black and live near a rural area, you can come in and pick up your check. It's complete theft from taxpayers.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:16 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,263 times
Quote:
Don't people see the scam here. We're talking a few hundred farmers from waaaaay back, and now the taxpayer is responsible for paying some 40,000 supposed "farmers" $50,000.00 each?!? I'm not buying it. There are black people that were never even farmers that are getting this money. As long as youre black and live near a rural area, you can come in and pick up your check. It's complete theft from taxpayers.
Agreed, so why not go after the cancer of your anger? Had the USDA never discriminated against those "few hundred" farmers in the first place, we would not be having this discussion. Greed and fraud are part of human nature and I would have no qualms with auditing the money to ensure that it goes to the actual victims, but as the saying goes "you started it..."

Old 12-12-2010, 12:22 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Maybe the poster should try playing the race card by quoting a comedian. lol
Yea...maybe.

Still though...it's true. Can't dispute it.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:43 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
Dang. Where can I find some black paint?

Old 12-12-2010, 12:50 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post

Of course we forget to mention that Breitbart through up a heavily edited video to suit his own agenda and the white farmers that she was talking about in this case, were the first ones who came running to her defense....

Old 12-12-2010, 12:58 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Trying to gain sympathy by playing the race card, huh?

Please. Like Chris Rock said...there isn't a white man on the planet that would trade places with ANY black person for ANY reason whatsoever.
I will take it that neither you or Chris Rock knew my favorite black farmer from back in the 1950s. Of course, Kenny (last name withheld for obvious purposes) and his wife were smart enough to live in Western Kansas where they were discriminated against, locally, but nobody in DC knew their skin color so he got all the subsidies that the whites in the area got.

AAnyway, they had to be out of town by 8:00 pm so their kids weren't allowed to stay in town to go to school. A family on the edge of the city limits kept the first two that went to school in the town and then the third one came along and he was an exceptional athlete so the other 5 kids were allowed to stay in town to go to school. (I forgot to say that they lived 45 miles from town.) Anyway after that boy became one of the best hurdlers in the state and an All-state basketball player the whole family could live in town, if they wanted to.

I always thought that Kenny and his wife were special people even when they became equals in the late 1950s. Ain't it something what having a good athlete in the family can do for the whole group.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:16 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Actually, in Congressional testimony the original estimate of eligible black farmers was 50, but the U.S. Government has paid out around 94,000 claims, and counting.

Quote:
"As one of only two Republicans serving on both the House Judiciary and Agricultural committees, King had a front row seat as the payout process unfolded. One witness in favor of the Pigford settlement testified about the USDA’s discrimination, saying that farmers needed to be compensated. With a series of questions asking how many farmers specifically were affected, King finally forced an estimate: 50. Other witnesses put the number closer to 3,000. Time would show that even the latter number failed to consider just how attractive a racially-conscious settlement arrangement would prove to be.
Within just a few years, 14,000 Pigford-related claims were paid. Soon there were charges that notice of the Pigford settlement terms were not adequately communicated to black farmers, particularly the filing deadline. These late filers succeeded in getting legislation passed to reopen the filing deadline and settlement fund, now flush with an additional $100 million.
Yet even that wasn’t enough. After entering office, President Obama announced, through Attorney General Eric Holder and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, an even bigger windfall. Even though no lawsuit was pending and the payout process in the original consent decree was still in effect, the Obama Administration pledged another $1.15 billion to be made available to all successful Pigford II (i.e. late filing) claimants. Today, over 90,000 Pigford-related claims have been paid with more in the pipeline."
Feds' Pigford Settlements Leave Taxpayers Picking Up the Tab
Quote:
“There is a growing firestorm over the allegations of massive fraud in the Pigford settlements,” King stated in his press release. “According to sworn testimony by John Boyd, President of the National Black Farmers Association, there are 18,000 black farmers. They could not all have been victims of discrimination. To date, there have been over 94,000 claims made. These numbers speak to massive fraud...
...“The Senate may be poised to pass the Obama administration’s request for additional Pigford funding. Pigford payouts must be stopped until Congress and the USDA can conduct a thorough investigation.”
DTN/The Progressive Farmer: Agriculture Markets, News and Weather

Update: Obama got his Dem Congress to approve that additional money for Pigford.
Reparations? When Pigford Flies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies