Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:13 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaluce View Post
I can't blame my parents---as they were not well educated themselves, and struggled mightily, raising 6 kids.

I'm grateful to many of my teachers and coaches for their assistance, dedication, and encouragement.

However, the public school system today, is different than when I graduated in the '60s

...the 1860s
it feels like
Glad to see you made it. It's fine when faculty provide assistance and encouragement.
Too many parents have a 'don't give a dam' attitude. What I've notice is that many parents are ignorant and would be bambozzled by any 4th grade lesson in any subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 08:14 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
So perhaps now some understand better why so many conservatives feel frustrated by public schools when there's no meaningful way to go about making people accountable for themselves or their own kids. Even classroom disruptions aren't getting dealt with appropriately. You could do everything right but what does that mean in columbine? It's not so different from poorer neighborhoods frustrated when their own kids are subject to drug/gang violence.
Very good points!

Old 12-12-2010, 08:18 PM

565 posts, read 485,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
It's parent's that set the tone in terms of how much a child values education. How much support a child gets at home to be successful in the classroom is determined by the parents.

Show me a parent or parents that instill a respect for education and teachers and makes every effort to make sure their kid is successful in the classroom and I'll show you a kid that does well in school.
Yes, that is true in a perfect world, in good suburbs.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:25 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,738 times
I agree. It's about time parents were held accountable for the little monsters they spawn, who come to school unprepared and unwilling to learn.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I agree. It's about time parents were held accountable for the little monsters they spawn, who come to school unprepared and unwilling to learn.
I doubt that will ever happen. Parents aren't held accountable for supporting the children they have. The government readily pays the expenses for parents who can't or won't, so why would any parent have reason to think they're responsible for anything?

Old 12-12-2010, 08:32 PM

565 posts, read 485,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The government readily pays the expenses for parents who can't or won't,
That is the case in every civilized countries. Get used to it.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
That is the case in every civilized countries. Get used to it.
Something is going very wrong with it in this country. Note the fact that our students lag those in the other countries that also negate the need for parental responsibility.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:03 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,722 times
I'm certainly not surprised to read this. While in no way could I ever be mistaken as a cheerleader for teachers, I certainly have empathy for the ones who go in there and try to do their job. Overall, it would seem that few children actually have respect for teachers (something you learn at home), little to no self-control (encouraged at home - or at least ignored at home), and certainly an attitude of "I'll tell my Mom/Dad/Principal" what you said/did. And the problem is that a provoked teacher will then sadly get a dressing down from Mom/Dad/Principal.

Many an eraser was shot across the room, aimed directly at my head by the teacher I was disturbing. On too many occassions (I am sad to say), my arm (and then the rest of me!) was dragged across the room and tossed out of the classroom. I could also have been considered the Class President of Detention. I deserved every bit of it and I learned to shut-up, sit-down and apply myself. The thought of running home to tell on teacher to my Mom?! Are you kidding me?! The belt would have been taken out of the hallway closet so fast, I would be lucky to hear it whizzing passed me as it made contact with my upper legs. Trust me, I did everything I could to make sure my Mom did NOT find out if I had gotten myself in trouble. Respect of teachers and the importance of education was drilled into us at home. And you know what? It paid off handsome dividends.

Over-protective Mommies are as lethal as uncaring Mommies. The latter being the saddest. Junior is not always right. Junior does not always need to be heard. Heck, Junior is not even all that brilliant. The term In loco Parentis needs to be understood for what it is. It means that the teacher is in charge of your bundle of joy for those hours while at school. In return, you should send in a child who has been versed in manners and self-control. He/She should have been instructed by their parents on the great importance of an education and made to understand that it is their responsibility to perform and behave in a manner that will bring honor to their family. They should also have been taught to respect not just their teachers - but any elder.

Kids aren't bad. They can just be poorly trained.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:20 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
As a head room Mother for both of my kids and spending a ton of time at school I agree.

Knowing almost every single kid at our school in my kids grades I can tell you first hand that the kids who do not do well have lazy parents who wont even return a call or sign the kids planners every night.

The kids who have parents behind them and push them to learn, give them a positive word of encouragement always are the straight A students and act like decent kids.

Most of the kids who get poor grades do not even act properly. They are usually aggressive, non caring, selfish kids who of course have been taught this by their parents at home.

Your kids education is in your hands, you must teach them at home before you can expect them to learn at school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
It's parent's that set the tone in terms of how much a child values education. How much support a child gets at home to be successful in the classroom is determined by the parents.

Show me a parent or parents that instill a respect for education and teachers and makes every effort to make sure their kid is successful in the classroom and I'll show you a kid that does well in school.
This thread skirts around the "nature vs. Nurture" debate. I'm firmly on the side of nature: Show me a kid who does well in school and I'll show you a kid with good genes.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:27 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
It most definitely starts at home, simple things like healthy meals to what time kids go to bed has everything to do with parents. Medicine like Ritalin given at the right time, getting kids up in time for the bus so they aren't rushed. As a parent I take full responsibility for my kids education and both of my kids 11 and 9 go to public school. In the years my kids have been in school I have not met one teacher that I didn't think didn't care. All of their teachers have been different but effective, my 11 year old is a straight A student while my 9 year old is a B and C student like I was. We have treated them the same and different for schooling but nothing is going to change the fact that our 9 year old hates school. The positve about him in school is that he doesn't disrupt his class, he's a good kid just hates school, which I can deal with for now. What I can't deal with is the bad kids who don't care and ruin it for everyone, and that starts at home. Whether its parents who don't feed their kids or parents who argue with teachers about why black history month the the shortest month of the year. Parent days at my kids schools have been nightmares and its not the kids fault its the parents!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies