Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 11:06 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,470,263 times

Advertisements

...in the form of a tax deal that will add $800B to the deficit?

A deal that they insist on making as incrementally expensive as possible by throwing away money on non-stimulative tax cuts for some of the wealthiest people on Earth who need them the least and will spend the smallest portion of them?

Riddle me that... I love it!!! You can't make up this kind of comedy.

I mean, you'd expect this sort of thing from the evil Democrats, right... But Republicans?? What happened, guys?

Last edited by ambient; 12-14-2010 at 11:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 11:24 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,160,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

A deal that they insist on making as incrementally expensive as possible by throwing away money on non-stimulative tax cuts for some of the wealthiest people on Earth who need them the least and will spend the smallest portion of them?

...because the ultimate goal of the GOP/Wall Street/ Corporatists is to put us in a large enough hole to start hacking away at Social Security and Medicare. They are chomping at the bit to privatize and gut these programs.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:30 PM

952 posts, read 944,021 times
If the tax rate cuts for the wealthy are eliminated,

maybe we could donate some canned goods and blankets

to show our support, in their time of need...

Old 12-14-2010, 11:44 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,200,976 times
More liberals displaying their lack of knowledge that its not income that creates deficits, its spending.. Oooh man, you guys should have a skit on SNL... You wont even need to make up a script.. You can just get on and talk honestly about your knowledge of economics and we can sit there and laugh at you...

Old 12-15-2010, 12:44 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,949,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
More liberals displaying their lack of knowledge that its not income that creates deficits, its spending.. Oooh man, you guys should have a skit on SNL... You wont even need to make up a script.. You can just get on and talk honestly about your knowledge of economics and we can sit there and laugh at you...
Really? Boy are you in for a surprise in a few years...

Old 12-15-2010, 01:25 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,200,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Really? Boy are you in for a surprise in a few years...
Care to elaborate, or should you leave me in suspense for the next few years? ooh what will I do

Old 12-15-2010, 01:26 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,074,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
...because the ultimate goal of the GOP/Wall Street/ Corporatists is to put us in a large enough hole to start hacking away at Social Security and Medicare. They are chomping at the bit to privatize and gut these programs.

You are so right.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:00 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,553,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
[/b]

You are so right.

And why are they so intent upon doing that?

Because so-called privatization simply means transfering all that money from a government account into the stock market, where it (and YOUR future) can be controlled by Wall St. traders....IF they don't steal it all!

Old 12-15-2010, 04:43 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,778,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

I mean, you'd expect this sort of thing from the evil Democrats, right... But Republicans?? What happened, guys?
Nice slight of hand. Not raising taxes will add to the deficit? No, no my friend, by not cutting spending by $800 billion we are adding to the deficit.

Think about your own finances. Do you go out and by a Corvette and then blame your boss because he doesn't pay you enough when the repo man makes his visit? You don't have a revenue problem you have a spending problem.

Last edited by shorebaby; 12-15-2010 at 05:24 AM..

Old 12-15-2010, 07:35 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,470,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Dude... follow me closely here:

Let's say you have a debt to repay. What can you do to repay it as quickly as possible?

1. You can spend less on everything else so that you can allocate more money to debt payment.

2. You can increase your income - if you have the means - so that you can allocate more money to debt payment.

Do you get it now?

Cutting taxes is necessary and good - if you do it to those who will spend/invest it so that it increases economic activity in the long run and thereby helps increase revenues to pay down debt later. But recognize that when you take steps to decrease your income at a time of debt by handing cash to people who are least likely to spend it - then you are hurting your near-term ability to reallocate money to debt reduction.

And you guys still haven't yet figured out that in this country, we will ultimately have to both cut budgets and increase taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies