Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:52 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
Its not helping, but I wouldn't blame a single person, no matter how powerful she is. It is still the peoples responsibility how they react to materialism.

What I find unique about the USA is that such a self-proclaimed religious country is so obsessed with material things.

What I find unique about Oprah is that she drove the bus for Obama yet I don't see her lining up for his redistribution of wealth program. Her little show to give away products is a massive advertising campaign. It's funny that those so opposed to corporate greed don't seem to think of people like Oprah.

And in your effort to diss the USA and religion...people that believe in God realize they are human and as such sinners. They don't profess to be above anyone else, only that they have a goal to improve themselves. One of those goals is not judging others.

I find it shocking that you would expect people to take responsibility for themselves. Especially in regards to materialism. Should they really get jobs and pay their own way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 10:53 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,535,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
What I find unique about Oprah is that she drove the bus for Obama yet I don't see her lining up for his redistribution of wealth program. Her little show to give away products is a massive advertising campaign. It's funny that those so opposed to corporate greed don't seem to think of people like Oprah.

And in your effort to diss the USA and religion...people that believe in God realize they are human and as such sinners. They don't profess to be above anyone else, only that they have a goal to improve themselves. One of those goals is not judging others.

I find it shocking that you would expect people to take responsibility for themselves. Especially in regards to materialism. Should they really get jobs and pay their own way?
I know its hard to understand but the redistribution of wealth really started with the FED in 1914.

It didn't start in 2008.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:27 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Not really,I have a truck,it is paid for.
If I want to go on vacation I would pay for it.

You can be any way you want,if you want to sell yourself for some material items that is your business.

You DO realise you are basically saying you would sell yourself for 'stuff'...

That is pretty close to prostitution.
So! I'm not against prostitution.

Again, i'm simply not buying this idea that you won't sit through a taping of a show if you knew you'd get a free car or vacation behind it. It defies logic and stretches credulity too far.

Sorry, but that's just how i come down.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:20 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,464,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post

You didn't get what I was saying, neither did you get what Maher was saying.
This is not about redistribution of wealth, this is about worshipping material things over anything else. Watch the video.
And I'd also like to believe that religious people don't jugde others, unfortunately they do it on a daily basis.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:03 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Again...she paid for them. If she wanted, she could keep them.
No, Oprah's corporate sponsors pay for the "give aways" on her show. Does Maher still have a show? Meh.....who cares?

Old 12-28-2010, 01:13 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Materialism is the average American's reason for living.
This country is spiritually and culturally hollow, but materially wealthy.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:19 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
I don't like half of the stuff she gives out. I would classify her stuff as re-gift-------
oh, and just because it is her favorite, doesn't mean it is mine......

Now if Bob Vila or Norm Abram had a few favorites, I bet they would be favorites of mine too !!, but Oprah-------------don't think so

Old 12-30-2010, 01:30 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Bill Maher has a special Christmas message for Oprah Winfrey: Tell your “worshiping flock to sit down and stop losing your Moderator cut: language over material stuff.” In a video on his website, the Real Time host called Oprah’s annual “Favorite Things” episode “one of the most deeply disturbing things I’ve ever seen on television,” Mediaite reports.

Bill Maher's Christmas Message to Oprah Winfrey (Video): Enough With the Materialism
Oprah emphasizes the importance of spirituality as a means to live a better life as well as connect (for her) with Jesus Christ. I'd say she easily spends a majority of time focusing on this aspect of life day in and day out.

While we do possess a spiritual side, we also reside full time in a world that is material and these items are much more tangible some days. Being outlandishly generous a couple of times a year can be fun, and I don't see anything wrong with it. Oprah also gives millions to charities all over the world, for the betterment of mankind, when she does not have to.

Oprah has also paid for college educations, housing, medical care and so much more. Her "favorite things" episodes pale in comparison to this selfless charity work she's done. I'd file that under humanitarianism not materialism.

That being said I will agree with the point that Maher was making about this country. Although I don't think Oprah is a great example of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies