Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:24 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Actually upon further reading, some people are theorizing that the BP oil spill may be contributing to this. Reasoning is that oil prevents the natural heat transfer between thermalclines. In addition to all the oil that was dumped into the gulf stream, there was the dispersant as well.

Now, I have no idea if this has merit or not yet, but the current is slowing, whatever the cause.
That was my first thought when I read the first part of the thread. I find this very interesting. BP causes the oil spill that is miles away from England and seemingly should not cause England any harm except finanacial and then "wallah" it might ending up causing them harm in the end. "What goes around, comes around."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 09:25 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
That was my first thought when I read the first part of the thread. I find this very interesting. BP causes the oil spill that is miles away from England and seemingly should not cause England any harm except finanacial and then "wallah" it might ending up causing them harm in the end. "What goes around, comes around."
Now wouldn't that be the irony of the century, karma in its most harsh of forms.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:34 AM

The Woods Hole has some really interesting information on ocean currents and how they effect regional climates through the transference of not only heat but moisture.

Abrupt Climate Change: Should We Be Worried? : Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution

They point to salt levels in ocean water which changes the specific gravity as having a major role. An influx of fresh water which is more buoyant will slow the natural flow, which may also give some credibility to the BP role in this as between the oil and dispersant preventing the natural transfer of heat and salts.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:42 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Now wouldn't that be the irony of the century, karma in its most harsh of forms.
You know I am not into karma. BUT

How does China figure into this? The sixth chapter of Rev. speaks of it taking a day to earn enough to buy a loaf of bread and then it mentions oil. That just keeps coming back to me. That last book in the Bible is such a mystery to me and used to seem so impossible. Now it just seems like normal living. Could we be living in the sixth chapter. That is the chapter Jesus comes back to earth.

Then there is the prediction that Eastern North Carolina will some day be under water. Global warming would be the way that could happen, but what other ways could that be. We live half way across North Carolina but some day we might have beach front property. I just look and watch and wonder and can do absolutely nothing about it, so I just don't worry about it.

Oh, the prediction about Eastern North Carolina also mentioned Southern Florida as being an island. Sorry I do not have a source. It was something I read in the 80's. I know, I read too much and just remember tidbits as it comes back to me.

Last edited by NCN; 12-28-2010 at 09:54 AM..

Old 12-28-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
You know I am not into karma. BUT

How does China figure into this? The sixth chapter of Rev. speaks of it taking a day to earn enough to buy a loaf of bread and then it mentions oil. That just keeps coming back to me. That last book in the Bible is such a mystery to me and used to seem so impossible. Now it just seems like normal living. Could we be living in the sixth chapter. That is the chapter Jesus comes back to earth.

If this is what you wish to see, then this is what you will see.

I see a disruption in the natural ocean currents and a bunch of people scratching their heads as to why.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:45 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
If this is what you wish to see, then this is what you will see.
Solipsism can be a b*itch.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:50 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Since you didn't read the article, as you rarely do, you would have noted this article didn't say it was man made or a natural earth cycle, you just assumed it did. You astute observations on a New York regional weather pattern is quite eloquent, well articulated and beyond the level of technical proficiency I thought you capable of, congratulations.
It is a setup TnHilltopper. It is business as usual.

If you have been keeping up on the science of dispute concerning AGW positions, then you will see all of the key points to which they use in this article to summarize support for it.

Quote:
"The sea ice thawing is consistent with the warming we've seen in the last century," notes Spencer, but "we don't know how much of that warming is a natural climate fluctuation and what portion is due to manmade greenhouse gases."
First, the loss of ice is is not consistent with the warming they claim. This is a major assumption based on the foundation of the AGW position, but they state it as a matter of fact when much of the general summary they are making is in contest to the conclusions they are making.

Their "we don't know if it is man made" is simply a balancing statement to make them appear as if they are being objective in evaluation, but as I said, if we are to accept their assumed conclusions in the previous statements, then they can easily step into the anthropomorphic position.

When you want people to get confused and you want to drop the subject of a previous contest, you state your claim as fact, ignore rebuttal, and then begin stacking on new variables suggesting a connection. Keep doing this and pretty soon you have an enormous amount of assumptions that have been concluded improperly that are buried over time under each current assumption of a recent event or prediction and then used as a collection of backing to make a larger claim. It works because there is so many loose correlations that the individual contests get lost in the paperwork leaving one to generally apply their over all conclusion as if it were obvious.

This is a supporting article to which will be used in the future to "claim" that it supports anthropomorphic warming.

You have to read about ALL of the issues in the field to see this is just another setup.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:50 AM

661 posts, read 1,251,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Ocean currents don't change overnight - it takes decades or centuries to see the effect from a particular cause, and this also wouldn't be the first time Europe suffered through some cold weather ("mini ice age"). IOW, there's nothing that connects the potential slowing of the current to anthropogenic global warming.
I recall reading somewhere that prior to one of the recent Ice Ages, what is now England went from having hippos in the Thames to being under a sheet of ice in just 100 years. Glaciation is only slow in grade school text books.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:52 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,535,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Solipsism can be a b*itch.
Privatize profits socialize loses.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:53 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Drive a hybrid, pay more taxes, and drink your own pee and this will all go away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies