Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:55 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,196,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
It is a setup TnHilltopper. It is business as usual.

If you have been keeping up on the science of dispute concerning AGW positions, then you will see all of the key points to which they use in this article to summarize support for it.

You have to read about ALL of the issues in the field to see this is just another setup.
So the United States Defense Department which stated it sees the measurable decline in the North Atlantic current and could be of national interest concerns is part of some conspiracy?

What is know and measured is that this current is slowing, what is causing it to slow as mentioned in several different articles and theories is up for debate.

I made no statement as to what "is" in fact a cause of this as it is evident that no one is sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 10:12 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
So the United States Defense Department which stated it sees the measurable decline in the North Atlantic current and could be of national interest concerns is part of some conspiracy?
Did I state that? Pay attention.

I have no position on the accuracy or legitimacy of the ocean currents and I did not state one or comment specifically to such a conclusion.

Quote:
What is know and measured is that this current is slowing, what is causing it to slow as mentioned in several different articles and theories is up for debate.
I didn't argue if it was or wasn't. I argued that they stated a contested issue as fact concerning warming and sea ice which is one of the foundation arguments to the AGW position. As I said, they are setting up to link it, but use a balancing statement for objective appearance.

Quote:
I made no statement as to what "is" in fact a cause of this as it is evident that no one is sure.
I didn't say you did, what you did state is that they make no claims of AGW relation in the article, I explained that you have to pay attention to the pea under the thimble, that they are using assumptive conclusions that are key to AGW as a plausible connection without specifying so.

I said that if you have been reading about all of the details of the science being contested, you would see this article as yet another setup to support AGW at some point in the future.

It has been done with many occurrences in our climate regardless of their direction of support. It is always setup to somehow link to AGW, however remote or loosely connected.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:13 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,290,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Ocean currents don't change overnight - it takes decades or centuries to see the effect from a particular cause, and this also wouldn't be the first time Europe suffered through some cold weather ("mini ice age"). IOW, there's nothing that connects the potential slowing of the current to anthropogenic global warming.
There is plenty of fossil evidence that weather can change rapidly. In fact it is probable that the onset of an ice age will happen very rapidly. With what is happening in the Northeast and Europe, it may be already beginning.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:30 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Actually upon further reading, some people are theorizing that the BP oil spill may be contributing to this.
I don't how you have dragged me, kicking and screaming, into this thread but now that I am hear... There is no evidence that the BP spill reached the Gulf Stream.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:35 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Oh gosh! I just had a thought! I wonder if the Gulf Loop Current has been broken in the past. I wonder if that could have caused the MANY, mini and otherwise, Ice Ages this planet has experienced, naturally, over the billions of years it has been in existence! Just a thought.

Quote:
If this is what you wish to see, then this is what you will see.

I see a disruption in the natural ocean currents and a bunch of people scratching their heads as to why.
Hmmmmmm......I'm sure its happened before, there just weren't any people around to scratch their heads about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Drive a hybrid, pay more taxes, and drink your own pee and this will all go away!
And live in mud huts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
There is plenty of fossil evidence that weather can change rapidly. In fact it is probable that the onset of an ice age will happen very rapidly. With what is happening in the Northeast and Europe, it may be already beginning.
I'd rather have a warmer world than an ice age...wouldn't you?

Old 12-28-2010, 10:46 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Quote:
Since you didn't read the article, as you rarely do, you would have noted this article didn't say it was man made or a natural earth cycle, you just assumed it did. You astute observations on a New York regional weather pattern is quite eloquent, well articulated and beyond the level of technical proficiency I thought you capable of, congratulations.
I did skim it. Saw a lot of "maybes", "possibles", "could be", "mights". Same old baseless predictions turned into "science" and certainties by the AGW crowd.

What is there to know about lake effect snow? Happens every winter, year end and year out. There is no nefarious AGW mystery as to why it happens.

AGU Blogosphere | Home

Quote:
Lake effect snow in the Buffalo area occurs when cold air moves across the relatively warm surface of Lake Erie, picks up moisture, and precipitates it in frozen form as it moves eastward over land and cools off. The “lake effect snow machine” only works until the lake freezes over, which shuts down the cycle.
We lived in Lockport, NY and there was a CLEAR demarcation line from the lake effect snow at times. We had 3 inches of snow in our area one time - no big deal. 20 miles down the road, they had 4 FEET from the lake effect, which shut down the area for a day.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Ocean currents are all interconnected.

I'm sure the BP spill and subsequent millions of gallons of hazardous chemicals altered the Gulf in some way. I've read some articles on it but haven't seen anything come out of the Government on it.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:26 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
An influx of fresh water which is more buoyant...
Just a slight correction here - fresh water is less buoyant than salt water.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:30 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
An observation: isn't it interesting how people who generally believe our military and defense department all-knowing with regard to our national security are all dismissive when it comes to this particular issue?

Anyway, further reading if anyone is interested:

National Security and the Threat of Climate Change - The CNA Corporation

Old 12-28-2010, 11:30 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Oh gosh! I just had a thought! I wonder if the Gulf Loop Current has been broken in the past. I wonder if that could have caused the MANY, mini and otherwise, Ice Ages this planet has experienced, naturally, over the billions of years it has been in existence! Just a thought.
Europe is doomed.

Good one for Mother Nature.

Eat oil and die, BP!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/8447023.stm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies