Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 07:40 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Okay, point taken, but you're missing MY point, in that when gov't gets involved in this kind of thing, it generally gets FUBARed.

Our economy is in shambles b/c of gov't regulation and the gov't butting in where it shouldn't be.
Maybe the governmens of those countries needed to be involved in that kind of thing in THOSE countries. That's not for me to say one way or the other. I'm not on the ground there, and neither are you, frankly. Perhaps a large number of citizens wanted intervention, but didn't think it would come to this. Is Bolivia's government supposed to be paralyzed in fear because of riots? Besides, ending gas subsidies is LESS government intervention...and THAT'S why they're rioting.

You second sentence is just complete nonsense. Our economy is in shambles because of a LACK of regulation and gov't butting in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 08:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Thye oprice we will be payign for Fannie and freddie will be felt for years. governamnt needs to let the markets work not try to change outcome on who gets what or survives. In the end we all lkose .

Old 01-01-2011, 08:32 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
LOL. Too many government "regulations" is what caused the banks to go nuts making bad loans and selling those worthless mortgages. LMAO!!
Apparently you have already forgotten who it was who encouraged Fannie and Freddie to relax their lending guidelines and loan to folks who really shouldn't have been able to buy homes to being with.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Maybe the governmens of those countries needed to be involved in that kind of thing in THOSE countries. That's not for me to say one way or the other. I'm not on the ground there, and neither are you, frankly. Perhaps a large number of citizens wanted intervention, but didn't think it would come to this. Is Bolivia's government supposed to be paralyzed in fear because of riots? Besides, ending gas subsidies is LESS government intervention...and THAT'S why they're rioting.

You second sentence is just complete nonsense. Our economy is in shambles because of a LACK of regulation and gov't butting in.
Did you even read the quoted text in the OP? They are going to prop up the prices of gas now to account for gov't salaries and stuff for food crops, if I recall. How does this make any sense? They go from subsidizing gas prices and keeping them low to jacking them up to make a profit so they can subsidize other industries.

Again, I am generalizing the trend of gov't intervention in the free market to this country, the article itself just serves as a reference point in how gov't intervention leads to problems. Jeeze.

See my above post on how our economy sucks in part due to gov't butting into the free market.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Thye oprice we will be payign for Fannie and freddie will be felt for years. governamnt needs to let the markets work not try to change outcome on who gets what or survives. In the end we all lkose .
Exactly. The market can sustain itself due to the principle of supply and demand. There is no need for the gov't to step in and set prices, wages or anything else. There is no need for intervention at all.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:45 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Exactly. The market can sustain itself due to the principle of supply and demand. There is no need for the gov't to step in and set prices, wages or anything else. There is no need for intervention at all.
I'm on your side. I think the market should rip-off and gouge the public for every cent possible, and also to pay crap wages with lower working conditions and decreased benefits. I think that the market should be allowed to dump their waste (toxic or whatever) wherever it is cheapest and most convenient.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:47 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,154 times
Quote:
Apparently you have already forgotten who it was who encouraged Fannie and Freddie to relax their lending guidelines and loan to folks who really shouldn't have been able to buy homes to being with.
I've forgotten nothing. Deregulation was huge.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:52 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I'm on your side. I think the market should rip-off and gouge the public for every cent possible, and also to pay crap wages with lower working conditions and decreased benefits. I think that the market should be allowed to dump their waste (toxic or whatever) wherever it is cheapest and most convenient.
Well said. The brutality of "pure" capitalism advocated by many who seem to be clueless.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:54 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Agreed.

Children are cheap and expendable labor. So are illegal immigrants. And people who have the audacity to vote during work hours should be fired. And employers should be able to fire pregnant women. And nobody cares if the amount of gas you pumped at the station really was 9.75 gallons instead of 10 gallons.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:55 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Well said. The brutality of "pure" capitalism advocated by many who seem to be clueless.
Not only that, but we know that the people who runs the markets have hearts of gold and thoughts as pure as the driven snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies