Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 02:48 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Hi Mac,

This started in Beebe Arkansas with 5000 dead birds (12-31). The fish were found dead in the Arkansas River (12-29).
Maryland (Chesapeake Bay) is reporting dead fish too. And the birds are dropping (500) in Louisiana and Kentucky.

The birds are reported to have had blood clots. I don't find any reports on the condition of the fish.

There are a few Starlings and Ducks that have been reported to be found dead, but the massive deaths have been the red-winged black bird, a known menace to the area.

I thought about the gases too, ( Newsvine - 500 Earthquakes hit Guy Arkansas Since Sept. 2010 ) but then dismissed that idea, because gases would effect more than one type of wildlife. Stray dogs and cats in the area feasted on the birds and they are all okay. So--dunno, it's just strange, just as strange as the reported quakes.
I am sharing the problems you have. Ky is new to me. I wonder about the condition of the fish, which seems impossible to discover.

If that ends up similar, it still poses a problem of a one of a kind in 2 domains thing.

If it is a gas, it must be one lighter than air. I think I am wrong about methane being lighter than air, so I am saying so first too. I wasn't thinking evidently, and I KNOW propane is heavier than air.
I am pretty sure methane is too now that I think about it.

I have worked with Phosgene in typical industry related work, and am not sure if it is lighter than air or not.

If a car paint shop blew up that could add nasty stuff into the air and water, or if a chemical plant did the same.

It beats me as to the cause mainly because of mostly one type of bird and fish.

Contrails I exempt totally, no birds I know of can fly that high. I am not fond of the fire works theory either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 02:55 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
why do you say that? The paper this morning indicated it could very well have been caused by fireworks. There is no sign, at this time, of any desease. Some of the birds and the fish have been sent to labs for testing. Hopefully we will have some better ideas in a few weeks.

Nita
Fireworks would have been reflected in burns to the birds bodies, most likely, had they flown into the fireworks. The birds were scattered (in AR) over a 4-5 mile area and blackbirds are not night flyers. the birds would have been roosting and scared from their roost, or concussioned right there and fallen in the immediate roosting area. Ok, that handles the dead blackbirds but how do you explain the ducks? Additionally, fireworks to do not pulverize the internal organs of birds. Just my $0.02

Old 01-05-2011, 03:31 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,369,433 times
Anyone thought it was merely manna from heaven to feed the poor?

I'm just saying.....

Old 01-05-2011, 03:37 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Mass bird kills aren't rare. There were 90 mass birds kills documented by the USGS just between June and December last year. Over the past 30 years, it counts 16 events in which 1,000 birds or more suddenly died.

And these are just the ones we see.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:42 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Anyone thought it was merely manna from heaven to feed the poor?

I'm just saying.....
I'm not eating anything that fell out of the sky like that

Old 01-05-2011, 03:44 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times
Interesting..

Doing a search in google for "dead fish washing up on the beach" brings a lot of returns for 2010, then 2009 and 2008 and 2011. Page after page with many in different locations.

I typed in "dead fish washing up on the beach in 2005" as well as earlier as a different example, and the returns were few and far between with most referencing forward to 2010.

errie

Old 01-05-2011, 03:46 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Interesting..

Doing a search in google for "dead fish washing up on the beach" brings a lot of returns for 2010, then 2009 and 2008 and 2011. Page after page with many in different locations.

I typed in "dead fish washing up on the beach in 2005" as well as earlier as a different example, and the returns were few and far between with most referencing forward to 2010.

errie

That just proves that GW is accelerating......

Old 01-05-2011, 04:54 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I am sharing the problems you have. Ky is new to me. I wonder about the condition of the fish, which seems impossible to discover.

If that ends up similar, it still poses a problem of a one of a kind in 2 domains thing.

If it is a gas, it must be one lighter than air. I think I am wrong about methane being lighter than air, so I am saying so first too. I wasn't thinking evidently, and I KNOW propane is heavier than air.
I am pretty sure methane is too now that I think about it.

I have worked with Phosgene in typical industry related work, and am not sure if it is lighter than air or not.

If a car paint shop blew up that could add nasty stuff into the air and water, or if a chemical plant did the same.

It beats me as to the cause mainly because of mostly one type of bird and fish.

Contrails I exempt totally, no birds I know of can fly that high. I am not fond of the fire works theory either.
I was thinking more along the lines of gases and/or minerals that may have been released by the quakes. I'd have to look up the distance between Guy Arkansas and Beebe and the Arkansas River.

I live in the Ark-La-TX area and there seems to be gas lines or something gas related blowing up or released into the air--evacuations, in Louisiana. When I turn on the news it's like, 'this again?'. Ya, know but I doubt what I am saying here is related to the reports of the wildlife.

Back to the thought train, quakes release earth mineral gases, not good for consumption, into the water, the fish die, the birds drink the water, fly away and are found dead. The cause agent could be the cause of the blood clots, but (always a but), what spooked 'em to take flight in the middle of the night?

I'm not a chemist and I flunked biology. So--I keep coming back to, what made birds take flight in the middle of the night, when they are suppose to by nature, roost?

How many shows do we watch and it's not just shows, it's the way of nature, that when there is danger in the area, birds stop chirping and they leave the area?

People stopped popping the champagne corks and started phoning into the police at midnight, because the sky was raining dead birds. (this story just keeps getting better for you huh Mac)

I don't know about any one else, but we have beans, rice and water.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:27 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
actonbell, That's a good point I missed. The Birds bathe and drink the water, so a gas does nopt also have to be lighter than air. A gas has to be lighter than water. Duh. That duh is for me not you

My aledged brain was stuck in a gas must pass thru the water to kill the fish and then become air born and still in a concentration to kill birds.

And now it seems other" fish" and other "birds"?? Not on NH news or Maine news is showing up.

I don't know, but maybe there was a a few ducks, a few other non-schooling fish also caught by a heavier than air gas that was toxic, and toxic to anything that swims, crawls, or flys.

Quakes are forever releasing gasses. That just goes with out sayin.

I am puzzeled never the less. BTW we do have the Red Wing black bird in NH in summer. They are not a pest here, and I rather enjoy seeing and hearing i think their song. Mostly they hang in the reed grass in the swamps.

The news just pointed out robins, starlings, black birds, on top of red wings... and 2 million dead fish in the chesapeake bay. I don't buy cold water either, but might by fresh water entering from recent storms.

Red Tide can't happen in winter so far as I know, but the fresh water might do these chesapeake bay fish. Sometimes schooling fish will deplete o2 from the water in places like harbors.

On edit: Ya know all these birds are marsh birds and the fish can't get out of the water very often. Can that be a tie, and a gas lighter than water another?

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 01-05-2011 at 05:40 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 05:47 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of gases and/or minerals that may have been released by the quakes. I'd have to look up the distance between Guy Arkansas and Beebe and the Arkansas River.

I live in the Ark-La-TX area and there seems to be gas lines or something gas related blowing up or released into the air--evacuations, in Louisiana. When I turn on the news it's like, 'this again?'. Ya, know but I doubt what I am saying here is related to the reports of the wildlife.

Back to the thought train, quakes release earth mineral gases, not good for consumption, into the water, the fish die, the birds drink the water, fly away and are found dead. The cause agent could be the cause of the blood clots, but (always a but), what spooked 'em to take flight in the middle of the night?

I'm not a chemist and I flunked biology. So--I keep coming back to, what made birds take flight in the middle of the night, when they are suppose to by nature, roost?

How many shows do we watch and it's not just shows, it's the way of nature, that when there is danger in the area, birds stop chirping and they leave the area?

People stopped popping the champagne corks and started phoning into the police at midnight, because the sky was raining dead birds. (this story just keeps getting better for you huh Mac)

I don't know about any one else, but we have beans, rice and water.

Guy, AR is NE of the Arkansas River, but not far. Looking at the map and guestimating I'd say about 35-40 miles as the crow flies (or falls).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies