Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Mexicans blamed unfairly for social problems, like the Irish were?
Yes 25 32.47%
No 46 59.74%
It's impossible to say 6 7.79%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:41 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,243,646 times

Advertisements

I don't know why Mexicans keep wanting to come here when we are in such economic decline.

As of now, most people look down on Mexico as being a poor nation. 30 years from now Mexicans will be looking down on us as being poor. If anything, Mexico should strongly support a border fence since it will eventually keep out impoverished Americans looking for a better life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 03:50 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,875,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
I support low taxes, am conservative on most social issues, and support free trade. I'm pretty much conservative in every way except this.
You seem to have covenietly left out one MAJOR point.
Even IF immigration levels were increased and the border was more open.

Mexicans that couldn't immigrate even with higher legal quotas and/or were undesirebles(criminal records,no means of support,rapists,drug addicts/dealers,etc..) would still not respect US laws or sovereignity and would continue to cross Illegally no matter how lax the laws would be.

And guess what?? They would still be aidded and abbetted, supported and encouraged by their Legal friends and families no matter what laws were in effect.

This reason right here is why it would never work, just like the Reagan Amnesty.

The Irish had the Atlantic Ocean to cross, not the Rio Grande and that is why the Irish could not immigrate Illegally in large numbers even if they wanted to.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:00 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,418,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
I don't know why Mexicans keep wanting to come here when we are in such economic decline.

As of now, most people look down on Mexico as being a poor nation. 30 years from now Mexicans will be looking down on us as being poor. If anything, Mexico should strongly support a border fence since it will eventually keep out impoverished Americans looking for a better life.
Because 7 dollars an hour still beats 7 dollars a day.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:36 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,255,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The Mexicans in American are going about it all wrong. They should be embracing America in all ways possible: they should be finding ways to contribute and make it a greater country.
Seems to me that they're already doing that. Been doing it for decades.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,846,981 times
Not all the Irish are here legally. Many Mexicans are also Illegal. I think they should all be granted citicenship so they would be protected from employer's exploitation by being outside the Law.

PS: I realy like Irish Whisky but think Tequila is a chemistry experiment gone bad. Boiled beef is a mistake but a good bowl of chilli a feast.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:56 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,357,186 times
Did Irish or any immigrants of the past:

Demand that we educate their children in their native language in our schools at our expense

Demand that all official documents be printed in their native language to accomodate them at our expense

Burn the U.S. flag while marching in the streets

Denounce the USA over and over again and demand that we open the border to accomodate all of their countrymen

Create massive social burdens by forcing the tax payers to pay for their medical care and other needs

Fact: Hispanics have the highest teen birth rate in the USA

Fact: Hispanics have the highest highschool dropout rate in the USA

Question: Exactly what problems are Mexicans being unjustly blamed for?

Old 01-06-2011, 08:04 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,252,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
Throughout American history, immigrants have frequently been blamed for a variety of problems. In the early 1800's, the Irish and Germans were the targets of nativism. Then, Southern and Eastern Europeans were the problem. Chinese immigrants were the focus of early 20th century persecution. My question is, are Mexican immigrants being unjustly blamed, like the other immigrant groups, or is there something inherently different about them? Despite being conservative on almost every other issue, I personally feel that the Mexicans are unjustly blamed for many problems, but I would like to here other opinions.
I'm totally with you, and the 'illegal' part is used as a justification for fear, loathing, and xenophobia. Most people just talk out their ____, and look for someone to blame, fear and point a finger at.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:28 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,488,622 times
This thread must make liberal heads explode. They want to compare the experience of Mexicans with that of the Irish, who were treated badly in earlier times. To do this though, they have to admit that the Irish were treated badly in earlier times! The Irish, a white ethnic group that suffered discrimination (and for some outright slavery). That goes against the "liberal" narrative that whites are the cause of social injustice and that whites share some kind of collective guilt over things of the past. What's a lib to do?

Old 01-06-2011, 02:07 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,357,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
This thread must make liberal heads explode. They want to compare the experience of Mexicans with that of the Irish, who were treated badly in earlier times. To do this though, they have to admit that the Irish were treated badly in earlier times! The Irish, a white ethnic group that suffered discrimination (and for some outright slavery). That goes against the "liberal" narrative that whites are the cause of social injustice and that whites share some kind of collective guilt over things of the past. What's a lib to do?

I have some Irish blood in the family. I think we should get reparations.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:22 PM

866 posts, read 1,561,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
People of all different races, yes even whites and Asians, have been discriminated against. Some of my White ancestors were forced out of their homes due to prejudice. Remembering what my ancestors went through makes me feel empathy towards the Mexicans, especially legal immigrants. I can understand when people don't want illegal immigration, but sometimes people get carried away and blame Mexicans for everything, like crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies