Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:02 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,855,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Traditionally something like 87% of black people vote democrat. In the last presidential election approximately 95% of black people voted obama. Say what you want...but it appears there was more people voting for the black candidate from the same demographic.

Couple that with a very high voter turnout among black people, and stories of the 101 year old woman that had never even registered to vote but was going to vote simply because she had a chance to vote for a black man and you have a lot of evidence to suggest that race was a huge factor in getting him elected.
Not I, nor anyone elst that I can see, said "No one voted for Obama just because he was black."

What we did say was "I don't think anyone voted for Obama thinking 'well, he is bad for the economy, but he is black, so I will vote for him'"

These are 2 very different things.

I am sure many people that never voted before went out in droves to support a black man. And I think all of them thought he would make a good President. I don't think any of them thought, "this guys will SUCK" and then voted for him anyway becuase he was black.

I know some people that did vote for Obama even though they thought he sucked. But not because he was black. Because they though McCain would suck worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 11:06 AM

68,351 posts, read 54,507,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I know some people that did vote for Obama even though they thought he sucked. But not because he was black. Because they though McCain would suck worse.
That's pretty much why I voted for him, not to put a black political hack (I don't think anyone who isn't a political hack gets a major party nomination) in the White House but to keep a fear-mongering white political hack and his ditzy running mate out.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:10 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,392,200 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRwbP...eature=related

This "lady" did.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Karl Rove making videos again?

Old 01-06-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Karl Rove making videos again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyvqh...eature=related

Like this better????

Old 01-06-2011, 11:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,774,233 times
looks like two different questions to me

Quote:
When voting for the President, what is more important to you -- cultural issues or economic issues?
generally economic issues, but im sure that an ultra-right wing or an ultra-left winger with some really bad ideas could cause me to vote along cultural and social lines.

Quote:
A serious question. Why do Americans pick race over class when race is of no concrete or abstract benefit to him/her when dealing with economic issues at large?
I don't think that Americans, as group, pick race over class. I think Obama's election is a good example. I think that black Republican that was just elected in a South Carolina district is another good example, as is the Sikh Indian they elected governor, as well as the Louisiana governor who is indian.

but to use a different example -- take Congressman Jim Clyburn. He is a black guy who is constantly re-elected to his predominantly black district. His voting record and policy concerns are extremely narrow and "pro-black." In his situation, every policy decision is made through the lens of race. When your "economic policy" is to redistribute federal dollars among your black constituents, you can't cleanly seperate economic issues from race or cultural issues.

Last edited by le roi; 01-06-2011 at 11:25 AM..

Old 01-06-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Like this better????
I don't find either one particularly entertaining and without knowing how/why they were made (scripted in a studio? on the street? by who?) they are nothing but attempts at entertainment.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I don't find either one particularly entertaining and without knowing how/why they were made (scripted in a studio? on the street? by who?) they are nothing but attempts at entertainment.
LOL...I'll bet you don't!!!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:20 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,942,652 times
I really hope you don't think that first video you posted is serious

Old 01-06-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
I really hope you don't think that first video you posted is serious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI

Like this one????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies