Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 03:09 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
Wisdom doesn't always follow with age. You don't think there's seniors out there who are still idiots?
I agree with you, but there are a lot of things in life that you will experience that there is NO way that you could have gone through them in just 21 years. Many things ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 10:20 AM

320 posts, read 290,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
now really...why would I do that? Just cuz I'm not proud of the way your forefathers killed millions of indians, enslaved millions of lives, segerated people, stole land, forced your own way of life on others, and caused the economic destruction of several latin american countries, I should leave? The best way of changing the system is working from within.
Yes our history is pretty sick. And it's sad how the corporate run government has most of the country brainwashed. But we're better off here than in most other places in the world. You can criticize our countries shortcomings. Even do your best to try and right the wrongs (Good luck with that ) but you should never be ashamed of what you ARE. Think of it as a family. We may have a few undesirables in our family but we should never be shamed of our last name.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:40 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
First of all, I'm an American.

As a kid, I kinda sorta bought the whole jingoism thing about the heroic Founding Fathers, and One Nation Under God, and all that. I never really got emotional during the National Anthem or anything, just seemed like a tradition, but I never really thought much of it.

The older I get (I'm only 21 btw), the more and more I realize most of what we consider great about America is either not true at all or isn't true in this day and age. The reality is, America is not all that free compared to a lot of countries, you can't really do anything without a permit and multiple forms of ID, pot is still illegal, the media, while technically free, is dominated by the mainstream media to the point that the influence of the alternative media is permitted only because it is not influential in comparison, we have more people in jail than any country in the world because we believe in revenge and not in rehabilitation and treatment, it costs a fortune to rent, to the point that poor people can't even live in some states.

Americans are basically raised to believe the outside world is still living in the 1800s at the latest and the stone age in many places. Most Americans have no idea that western Europe and much of Asia is far more modern in infrastructure than most of the States are, and ignore the fact that places like New Orleans are practically third world and even though we don't chop off people's hands like a few Middle Eastern countries do, we do still use the death penalty even though countries like Turkey have even gotten rid of it and put people in jail for decades for relatively minor crimes such as drug offenses. Not to mention a very large percentage of Americans probably believe the world is 6,000 years old and that evolution is a myth.

American idealism is a strange brew of Christianity, materialism, and individualism. Religion without spirituality, Christ without the compassion. Everything is about individual rights even though the average American loves to complain about how irresponsible people unlike themselves are.

Americans are the most submissive to authority people ever. Americans demand swift and cold justice to all evil-doers, unless they wear a suit, then they deserve our scorn but otherwise deserve to get off scott-free. Americans believe being in the Army automatically makes you a hero, even if you kill innocent people in other countries for fun. We constantly re-elect the same types of people into office even though they never do us any good, because we believe that strongly in the good of the status quo.

Americans would rather let people with cancer just die than have universal healthcare. Hard work is valued infinitely over having a good time; that's why most Americans only get 3 weeks off their job the WHOLE FREAKING YEAR.

I thought only a certain type of American (ie, a redneck) was super-patriotic and jingoistic, but I've come to discover a vast majority of my people basically think we're superior to everyone else.

Stop kidding yourselves guys - we are not the light of the world. Not anymore at least.

IMHO we need more Independents in Congress. Too much corruption and lobbyists with corrupt agenda.

Last night news an idiot on CNN was talking about students needing to be corralled and forced to get mental health help on campus to make sure things like the Tucson tragedy dont happen again .

Lol, the guy was an attorney, and this is his answer...not the fact that MOST young people cant afford to get help if they have mental health issues. Maybe affordable healthcare would be a start, and people giving a dam- about problems before they result in tragedies like Tucson.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:36 AM

69 posts, read 136,748 times
Where do you get your facts from?

It all comes to the bottom line: If you don't like living here, get out. Move to another country and complain there.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:04 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floomer99 View Post

It all comes to the bottom line: If you don't like living here, get out. Move to another country and complain there.
The OP will eventually get over being 21.
(BTW, New Orleans is my favorite city.)

Old 02-17-2011, 11:26 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
IMHO we need more Independents in Congress. Too much corruption and lobbyists with corrupt agenda.

Last night news an idiot on CNN was talking about students needing to be corralled and forced to get mental health help on campus to make sure things like the Tucson tragedy dont happen again .

Lol, the guy was an attorney, and this is his answer...not the fact that MOST young people cant afford to get help if they have mental health issues. Maybe affordable healthcare would be a start, and people giving a dam- about problems before they result in tragedies like Tucson.
I totally agree. We need more Independents. Whoever votes for someone b/c they are "Democrat" or "Republican" have the wrong idea. Vote for the person, not the letter! Also, affordable health care would be a great start! Especially if we had the government-funded health care that's allegedly "horrible" (even though Congress, military, etc. use it...). Heck, America is currently paying for the citizens of Iraq and Afghanistan to have Universal Health Care (not just military, the actual citizens) and it was authorized under President Bush. But that's another discussion.

Quote:

Have you even left the country? Or your back door? Probably not, b/c your ignorance is showing. People cannot JUST up and leave a country! No! Look at some of the immigration websites for countries like the UK, Canada, etc. You have to meet specific requirements. Seriously, before you and half of uneducated America make such comments learn something about how immigration works. No wonder the OP isn't proud of being an American. Obviously, we need a better school system or at least some more worldly people who know what it's really like outside of the U.S. .

Old 02-17-2011, 11:30 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,036,226 times
I've heard Switzerland is a pretty cool country to move to.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:07 PM

701 posts, read 1,032,579 times
Quote:

Um...no. Freedom of speech is the rule in America. If YOU can't deal with that, go join your North Korean friends.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:16 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Wisdom doesn't always follow with age.
Yes, but the opposite is always true. You can't have wisdom without age.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:50 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,210,451 times
Quote:
First of all, I'm an American.

As a kid, I kinda sorta bought the whole jingoism thing about the heroic Founding Fathers, and One Nation Under God, and all that. I never really got emotional during the National Anthem or anything, just seemed like a tradition, but I never really thought much of it.

The older I get (I'm only 21 btw), the more and more I realize most of what we consider great about America is either not true at all or isn't true in this day and age. The reality is, America is not all that free compared to a lot of countries, you can't really do anything without a permit and multiple forms of ID, pot is still illegal, the media, while technically free, is dominated by the mainstream media to the point that the influence of the alternative media is permitted only because it is not influential in comparison, we have more people in jail than any country in the world because we believe in revenge and not in rehabilitation and treatment, it costs a fortune to rent, to the point that poor people can't even live in some states.

Americans are basically raised to believe the outside world is still living in the 1800s at the latest and the stone age in many places. Most Americans have no idea that western Europe and much of Asia is far more modern in infrastructure than most of the States are, and ignore the fact that places like New Orleans are practically third world and even though we don't chop off people's hands like a few Middle Eastern countries do, we do still use the death penalty even though countries like Turkey have even gotten rid of it and put people in jail for decades for relatively minor crimes such as drug offenses. Not to mention a very large percentage of Americans probably believe the world is 6,000 years old and that evolution is a myth.

American idealism is a strange brew of Christianity, materialism, and individualism. Religion without spirituality, Christ without the compassion. Everything is about individual rights even though the average American loves to complain about how irresponsible people unlike themselves are.

Americans are the most submissive to authority people ever. Americans demand swift and cold justice to all evil-doers, unless they wear a suit, then they deserve our scorn but otherwise deserve to get off scott-free. Americans believe being in the Army automatically makes you a hero, even if you kill innocent people in other countries for fun. We constantly re-elect the same types of people into office even though they never do us any good, because we believe that strongly in the good of the status quo.

Americans would rather let people with cancer just die than have universal healthcare. Hard work is valued infinitely over having a good time; that's why most Americans only get 3 weeks off their job the WHOLE FREAKING YEAR.

I thought only a certain type of American (ie, a redneck) was super-patriotic and jingoistic, but I've come to discover a vast majority of my people basically think we're superior to everyone else.

Stop kidding yourselves guys - we are not the light of the world. Not anymore at least.
Well, not after 2009 we weren't anymore. There is hope, however, 2012 is just around the corner and two more goals will be achieved, (Senate and Whitehouse). Finally, it will be grown-ups all-around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies