Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support legislation to view an ultrasound before an abortion?
Yes, they need to see it and I hope it reduces the number of abortions 38 24.68%
No, I don't think it would make a difference in the number of abortions 7 4.55%
No, I don't want gov't interfering in this area or I support the right to choice 104 67.53%
Maybe/I don't care 5 3.25%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 04:18 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Poorly crafted and biased? What option would you have liked to see? From your post, you would have picked, no, the gov't doesn't have any business in this issue.
Yes. The line "Do you support legislation to view an ultrasound before an abortion?" is very non-specific. If you had asked if I supported legislation forcing a woman to look at an ultrasound before she would be allowed to have an abortion, I could have answered it, and you are correct in your assumption of the answer I would have picked, but I said that in my post, didn't I? No big leap of logic there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 04:20 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Government coming between the Doctor and the Patient

Old 01-08-2011, 04:22 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Nobody said YOU are ignorant. I think the consensus is that those who use abortion for birth control are in fact ignorant of what the fetus looks like at each stage and of the damage it can cause to repeatedly have this procedure performed.
My position is obvious if one has read any of my posts. The poster to whom I was responding stated "It would seem the pro-abortionists favor ignorance"

Old 01-08-2011, 04:31 PM

18,390 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Nobody said YOU are ignorant. I think the consensus is that those who use abortion for birth control are in fact ignorant of what the fetus looks like at each stage and of the damage it can cause to repeatedly have this procedure performed.

how many women use abortion for birth control? how many abortions do they have in a year? 5, 9, 11? do they do this year after year? how do you know? why do you think they have no idea what a fetus looks like?

what information are you reading that says having more than one abortions can cause damage

Old 01-08-2011, 05:17 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
how many women use abortion for birth control? how many abortions do they have in a year? 5, 9, 11? do they do this year after year? how do you know? why do you think they have no idea what a fetus looks like?

what information are you reading that says having more than one abortions can cause damage
Hey look, I'm on the pro-choice team, but the D&C procedure absolutely does pose a risk to the endometrium and multiple D&Cs can cause scarring which will lead to infertility later. It is not rare.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:20 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I have never had an abortion. I never will have to.

That said, I totally disagree with those who insist that a woman about to have an abortion be subjected to an ultrasound. Do you who support this notion seriously think that anyone who is considering that move has not agonized, cried over, regretted, and felt guilt over moving forward to an abortion? Do you really think it will change their minds? I sincerely do not think that abortion should be used as birth control, but accidents DO happen. I have several friends who have had to make that decision and they all felt that it was the most difficult decision of their lives.

To subject a woman to having to be "punished" by showing her the soon-to-be-aborted fetus is, to me, cruel and unnecessary. She does not relish the idea, she feels terrible saddness, she wishes things could have been different. Adoption? come on, really. This is simply not an option for most women.

People have sex. Period. women AND men. They wont stop it. Some will, unfortunately, experience an unwanted pregnancy. The US Laws allow for legal abortions. It is the law of the land. The law does not require the pregnant woman to see the soon-to-be-aborted fetus. I see no reason to start now.

How I wish that women would use birth control, self control and good judgement. In lieu of that, allow the abortion process to proceed without additional complication to the mother.
Agree with you on most things, including the need to keep abortion legal. I do think that most women who have a conscience will agonize over the choice, as you said. However, unfortunately, there is a new generation of young women who are growing increasingly calloused to human life and abortion doesn't necessarily cause them much grief.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:26 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
You cannot see a heartbeat until at least 5-7 weeks of age. Are you going to make people wait to get an abortion? Conversely, most people who come in are already more than 5-7 weeks along and usually they do get an ultrasound to confirm pregnancy dates before an abortion. So they see the embryo anyways. I don't think it changes anything either way.
Exactly, they give one before performing an abortion for date information. If u think you are 9 weeks along but are 12 weeks there is a different procedure done. They don't hide the screen from view during this ultrasound. I saw it and all I thought when i did was how much time I had before it was too late. Still no regrets, that wasn't meant to be, and I am ok with the consequences. I doubt it would change an intelligent, well informed woman's mind. Some people think it is their business to tell a person what to do with their body, but it is no ones place to judge, only Gods.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:36 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
Quote:
You need an ultrasound to confirm that a pregnancy even exists before you can abort.
Since when? In what state is there such a law?

Old 01-08-2011, 05:41 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
I would tell them they should keep it. They have every right to sign over custody to adoptive parents. Yes, it happens, but it does not happen as much as you would have us think.
I have to tell you that I am getting pretty tired of you so very cavalierly suggesting that women choosing abortion should instead become breeders for childless couples. The reason that it "does not happen as much as you would have us think" is because women choosing abortion do not want to be pregnant. Why is that so hard for you to understand???

Old 01-08-2011, 05:45 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
Quote:
It IS done for all pregnancies, unless the woman refuses to see a doc. Medicaid will ever pay for two ultrasounds, one to confirm and the other around 20 weeks, I believe, to check on things.
Again I have to ask, since when? I had three children (followed 20 years later by one abortion) and never once had an ultra sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies