Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support legislation to view an ultrasound before an abortion?
Yes, they need to see it and I hope it reduces the number of abortions 38 24.68%
No, I don't think it would make a difference in the number of abortions 7 4.55%
No, I don't want gov't interfering in this area or I support the right to choice 104 67.53%
Maybe/I don't care 5 3.25%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 07:33 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Adoption? come on, really. This is simply not an option for most women.
Why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 07:34 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
I'm also pregnant. I think people should mind their own damned business about this issue. I don't care what your morals are or your religious beliefs are about this issue. You have no more right to forbid me from having an abortion than you to forbid me an epidural or force me into your church.

Pregnancy is hell. I can barely walk. My back hurts all the time. I'm can't lift anything larger than about five pounds without grunting. I voluntarily chose to become pregnant and I'm voluntarily choosing to continue to stay pregnant. I am pleased with my decision.

But it's still none of your business and never will be!

Old 01-08-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
My position is obvious if one has read any of my posts. The poster to whom I was responding stated "It would seem the pro-abortionists favor ignorance"
Right, the ignorance of the woman getting the abortion. Not the people who are pro-abortion.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:40 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Right, the ignorance of the woman getting the abortion. Not the people who are pro-abortion.
What???????????????????????????

Old 01-08-2011, 07:41 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Your grandma was raised in an entirely different time period. In this day and age, it is absolutely irresponsible to not make sure that everything is okay with your baby before it is born. Even Medicaid pays for it to be done, and that's saying something.

That being said, having 14 children, IMHO, is also irresponsible. Just sayin'.
What if you can afford them?

Old 01-08-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
how many women use abortion for birth control? how many abortions do they have in a year? 5, 9, 11? do they do this year after year? how do you know? why do you think they have no idea what a fetus looks like?

what information are you reading that says having more than one abortions can cause damage
Unless they have seen an ultrasound at the time of the abortion, they have NO idea what the fetus looks like at that time (which obviously varies upon how far along she is).

I have no idea how many women use it for birth control, but I do know a couple people who have had several b/c they can't stop sleeping around. I don't say that to be crass, but it is true and they see no problem with it. It happens.

Dilating the cervix multiple times can lead to an incompetent cervix, which can lead to complications during pregnancy if the person ever chooses to have a child down the road. D&Cs can lead to major scarring of the inside of the uterus, which can, again, lead to problems with fertility, specifically implantation.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Since when? In what state is there such a law?
I never said it was a law.

It's called medical ethics.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:50 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,738 times
Quote:
Unless they have seen an ultrasound at the time of the abortion, they have NO idea what the fetus looks like at that time (which obviously varies upon how far along she is).

I have no idea how many women use it for birth control, but I do know a couple people who have had several b/c they can't stop sleeping around. I don't say that to be crass, but it is true and they see no problem with it. It happens.

Dilating the cervix multiple times can lead to an incompetent cervix, which can lead to complications during pregnancy if the person ever chooses to have a child down the road. D&Cs can lead to major scarring of the inside of the uterus, which can, again, lead to problems with fertility, specifically implantation.
Yes, you are correct in everything you've said here. I'm still pro-choice but wish more women would behave morally and responsibly (and men too -- let's don't forget about the men).

I used to work in an abortion clinic and have posted a lot on the numerous previous abortion threads. The degree and scope of irresponsibility would shock even the most vocal pro-choice proponent here. I guess the way I look at it, though, is, why would I want these people to be parents?

Adoption is one option for dealing with an unwanted pregnancy, but it creates a lot of heartache, not just for the birthmother but for the child down the road, and that then affects the adoptive parents. There are many psych issues that plague adopted children, so much so that I have a hard time seeing adoption as a panacea. Many adoptions create suffering for everyone in the triad.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:51 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
Medical ethics above all mean respecting the patient. Medical ethics mean that the patient and the patient alone gets to decide what medical decisions are right for her. Medical ethics means that it doesn't matter what the doctor feels or believes or hold religiously or morally. Medical ethics means that the doctor presents the facts to the patient in the most non-judgemental way possible and lets the patient decide.

A pregnancy presents a far greater risk to a woman than abortion. If she has repeated birth control failures her doctor should talk to her about why. Her doctor should help her find better methods to avoid intruding into her pelvic cavity. But a doctor has no business telling her what to do in the name of his religion or morals.

Any doctor who does not understand that should not be a doctor.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Again I have to ask, since when? I had three children (followed 20 years later by one abortion) and never once had an ultra sound.
Did you see a doctor? OBs do ultrasounds on their patients, last time I checked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies