Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support legislation to view an ultrasound before an abortion?
Yes, they need to see it and I hope it reduces the number of abortions 38 24.68%
No, I don't think it would make a difference in the number of abortions 7 4.55%
No, I don't want gov't interfering in this area or I support the right to choice 104 67.53%
Maybe/I don't care 5 3.25%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 07:34 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Are you willing and financially able to support these unwanted children, Andrea? If not, then you only have your own choice to make and not the choice for others that do not concern you. It is called minding ones own business.
I really wish you all would stop throwing that crappy excuse in pro-lifers' faces. It has nothing to do with anything.

FWIW, my SIL told me she was pregnant and I know her history with abortions, so I told her if she was thinking of doing that, we would rather adopt the child than have her terminate. She ended up terminating anyway. So really, you throwing that crap in my face is just disrespectful when you have no clue what my situation is or was in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 07:35 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Wow, this is the kind of ignorance I am talking about.

To compare a child to a bologna sandwich is just beyond belief.
don't try to twist my words around. you know full well what I mean.
a woman does know what her pregnancy may look like even in the abstract. women are not stupid. just like you can use your imagination when someone describes something not in front of your face.

this kind of false outrage and diversion tactic is way too obvious

Old 01-09-2011, 07:39 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
I really wish you all would stop throwing that crappy excuse in pro-lifers' faces. It has nothing to do with anything.

FWIW, my SIL told me she was pregnant and I know her history with abortions, so I told her if she was thinking of doing that, we would rather adopt the child than have her terminate. She ended up terminating anyway. So really, you throwing that crap in my face is just disrespectful when you have no clue what my situation is or was in the past.
My goodness ! you have a handy relative for all your examples...how extraordinary!???

Why do you care so much what other people do when it does not affect you in any way....????

Old 01-09-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Yes, better birth control would help. But I would love to see the statistics on what kind of birth control the 47% of women were using when they got pregnant then felt the need to abort, more than once. I would be willing to bet that the majority weren't actually using any birth-control at all.

The truth is, the vast majority of abortions are on women who are unmarried, and have never been married. So any attempt to paint abortions as some older married woman, who is struggling, is a false-narrative.

If you want to see the cause of most abortions, go watch the movie "Knocked up". Except in real life, they don't get together in the end, and she has an abortion to protect her career.
Agreed again.

I bet this "contraception" they were using is just a condom or birth control pills that are not used correctly. The people are usually high school or college age, unmarried and with no means to support themselves, much less a child. But that doesn't mean they can't give it up for adoption, that is something that everyone seems to forget. THAT is the responsible thing to do.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
But why is it her choice and no one elses? Because that is the current law on the books? Why does the father get no choice in it either? Why does he get to go on the rest of his life wondering what his child would have been like, if his girlfriend hadn't been so selfish and stupid? Why is it none of the preachers business, who believes god sent him to help people live a righteous life? Why it it none of business? Maybe I am the girls brother, maybe I am her friend? Maybe I am the guy that would have been her childs best friend growing up if had been allowed to live? Why does her decision not affect me?

We can decide that abortion can be used for good, to prevent children from being raised in a bad households, where they will be stuck in a cycle of poverty, and to never feel loved. But don't pretend for a second that abortions are a woman's right, and that it "shouldn't matter" to anyone else.

in relationships that are based on mutual respect the woman does consult the man. In relationships where the man leaves when he finds out he is going to be a dad or the man is someone who doesn't care to begin with, the woman has no obligation to discuss her choice with him. most of the time he is no where to be found. it is only a caring man that would care what happens to his seed, this is not the case with many, many men.

when someone other than the woman can carry the pregnancy than her wishes of what to do with her body are hers to make.

why should you or I have a say in what sally in idaho does when neither of us know or support her? we don't this is why her reasons should not matter to anyone else. it is her life not ours.

women have the right to privacy with respect to her medical decisions just like a man does. abortion and if we choose it or not boils down to a woman's right to privacy

Old 01-09-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
don't try to twist my words around. you know full well what I mean.
a woman does know what her pregnancy may look like even in the abstract. women are not stupid. just like you can use your imagination when someone describes something not in front of your face.

this kind of false outrage and diversion tactic is way too obvious
I don't even know what you're talking about.

You thinking that everyone knows what a fetus looks like at any given point is ridiculous.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Exactly.

I have no idea how anybody could misconstrue these figures so badly so as to say the only thing they got out of it was that we need better sex ed. Sex ed starts at home with responsible parents, it cannot be forced onto children in schools, it doesn't work that way. It's a value system that is instilled into a child so they grow up knowing the proper way to handle their sex lives.

you are talking about responsible parenting and responsible adults who engage in sex. what people "should" do. however what people should do is not what they do.

you don't want sex ed in school? what about the parent that doesn't want to teach his kid about sex because at home? these kids will not grow up knowing the proper way to handle their sex life

Old 01-09-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:

You thinking that everyone knows what a fetus looks like at any given point is ridiculous.

you don't have to know exactly what the fetus looks like at every given point. that IS the point. women have a general idea and that is good enough. end of story

Old 01-09-2011, 07:48 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:

Anyone who wants to does.

Why do you want to control people?

Old 01-09-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Agreed again.

I bet this "contraception" they were using is just a condom or birth control pills that are not used correctly. The people are usually high school or college age, unmarried and with no means to support themselves, much less a child. But that doesn't mean they can't give it up for adoption, that is something that everyone seems to forget. THAT is the responsible thing to do.
a great percentage of woman that give birth will not give their children up for adoption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies