Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:01 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,290,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog32 View Post
In light of todays massacre, I would like to focus on how we can better protect our public officials (and civilians). After the shooting in Arizona, I cannot understand why the shooter was able to get off so many shots before he was stopped. Furthermore he had to be apprehended by 2 CIVILIANS...scary.

Where were the local, state and federal law enforcement officials? I think I heard earlier on CNN that there was not any security present for this outdoor and exposed event. If there was protection I think we can agree that the protection was poor at best.

Lets focus on preventing another tragedy like this. Any ideas or facts relating to the protection of our public could help prevent another disaster. I cant stop thinking about the families of all of those involved.

Please save the left/right political garbage for another thread. This is not the time or place.
The politician had this informal get together without asking for protection from the police. Nobody thought she needed it.

Unless politicians can pay for it we can not protect with costly manpower every politician that wants to fundraise or smooze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 11:43 PM

401 posts, read 474,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
The politician had this informal get together without asking for protection from the police. Nobody thought she needed it.

Unless politicians can pay for it we can not protect with costly manpower every politician that wants to fundraise or smooze.
I understand. I though about all of repercussions after posting.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:48 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,695,683 times
Screen attendees as if they're at the airport. I know I'd feel safer.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:51 AM

45,464 posts, read 60,692,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

And how do you do that at a Safeway?

It's quite apparent that none of you have ever campaigned as a candidate nor are any an elected official. The reality is that most officials thrive on the "grip and grin" functions and for many offices those events are vital. Gibbons just won a close election and she was out mending fences.

The same people who are advocating greater protection will be the ones who then will complain about lack of access. In fact, a couple of you did a few months ago when some group made reporters buy tickets to a fund raiser in order to attend.

Threats are a fact of life at every level of public life. There probably isn't an elected official out there who hasn't received one. Most are low level and don't even rise to the level of being reported. That would include minor vandalism which happens to me, and my family's property, on a regular basis.

As a question, does anyone know which officials receive the most threats? It's Code Enforcement officers and Inspectors. Do they get a security detail? They're going to the offender's houses.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm thinking there is no public offical who is more important than me or my family. I don't think we should "do" anything. Either the world is safe or it isn't, for all of us.
Good point - I'm not sure I agree but in a way - the politicians have more control over the problems than any one else.

I don't know what can be done to address severe mental illness behind tragedies like Columbine, Virginia Tech and so on.

I think more attention needs to be paid to this kind of mental illness. Why these people are obviously psychotic or obvious signs must be ignored until they do something like this.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:22 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,233,570 times
I recall someone rushing Rand Paul's car and civilians had to stop that. people say she only had a sign, but lets recall when you rush a car people do not have time to ask your purpose. when you delay this can happen.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:28 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,612,120 times
I never knew until yesterday that they don't have security either - someone on the news said that only leaders get it automatically. So I guess it's their own judgment call - it's pretty scary. If I were a member of Congress today, even in my solidly blue district with a solidly blue representative, I'd get it. At least for a while.

(I mention solidly blue because I don't see a lot of conflict in my area about issues the way they have in AZ with differing views)

Old 01-09-2011, 05:30 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm thinking there is no public offical who is more important than me or my family. I don't think we should "do" anything. Either the world is safe or it isn't, for all of us.
Pretty much. This country has a nasty habit of kneejerk overreactions to isolated incidents.

OK, this lady got shot. Sucks to be her. We don't know why she got shot. Because it's a politician,e verybody speculates, but nobody knows. Let's say for a moment that it was political in nature. When was the last time it happened? These are pretty isolated events. Statistically speaking, I have a higher percentage chance of being accosted by a man with a gun while walking down a downtown street than a politician has of encountering this sort of situation.

So why all of a sudden is there a need for a "solution" that entails complex and expensive procedures?

No politician from my state has been shot recently. Matter of fact, unless you live in Arizona, no politician from ANY Of your states has been shot recently. It's not exactly a spreading epidemic.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:33 AM

657 posts, read 698,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog32 View Post
Any ideas or facts relating to the protection of our public could help prevent another disaster.
How about making sure maniacs like that guy don't have easy access to guns in the first place. And no, he couldn't have pulled that off with a knife or whatever

Old 01-09-2011, 06:17 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,887,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies