Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see Democrats and Republicans sit together during the State Of The Union address?
Yes 38 54.29%
No 30 42.86%
Not sure 2 2.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 05:55 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,098,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
good grief!!
get over it~~
or no, let's hang on to every little thing and stay stuck!

I bet you would like people to forget the type of people the prez and the Dems are but it's not going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 06:01 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,418,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I bet you would like people to forget the type of people the prez and the Dems are but it's not going to happen.
A perfect example of what makes the system not work.

I may not like some policies of either party, but I generally look at most of them with a great deal of respect.

Mitch McConnel is a fine man, although I don't know why he isn't worried about the country and is worried about an election two years away.

John Boehner is a great American story, I respect him immensely. But I disagree with a lot of his politics.

I think George Bush was a good man, but woefully screwed up as President.

I disagree and agree with things that President Obama does, but when he screws up, that doesn't make him a bad person.

Just what kind of people are Democrats? Martin Luther King jr, President Kennedy, Johnson, and even Ronald Reagan for a while.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:15 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,481,374 times
Were most who voted "no" republicans?

Old 01-13-2011, 06:23 PM

8 posts, read 10,674 times
This is a silly idea! It's nice and politically correct but Republicans and Democrats are fundamentally different. Nothing will really change as a result of this.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:37 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,495,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Were most who voted "no" republicans?
I'm one of the "no" votes.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:39 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,226,354 times
The SOTU has become a farce and should be delivered by the TOTUS, from the Oval Office. No attendance by anyone required. Enough of watching six hundred dolled up yo-yo's one upping one another.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:48 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,098,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
A perfect example of what makes the system not work.

I may not like some policies of either party, but I generally look at most of them with a great deal of respect.

Mitch McConnel is a fine man, although I don't know why he isn't worried about the country and is worried about an election two years away.

John Boehner is a great American story, I respect him immensely. But I disagree with a lot of his politics.

I think George Bush was a good man, but woefully screwed up as President.

I disagree and agree with things that President Obama does, but when he screws up, that doesn't make him a bad person.

Just what kind of people are Democrats? Martin Luther King jr, President Kennedy, Johnson, and even Ronald Reagan for a while.

LOL! That's a good one. The Dems of today are nothing like those you named. How about keeping up to date, Pelosi, Reid, Dean, and a number of other wackos. They are an insult to people like Martin Luther King jr and President Kennedy.

hussein obama is the ONLY leader of ANY country who disparages the very country he was elected to represent. He has disrespected the Supreme Court and private citizens. He has also called the people he is supposed to serve, the enemy, another ugly first.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:48 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,295,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
The SOTU has become a farce and should be delivered by the TOTUS, from the Oval Office. No attendance by anyone required. Enough of watching six hundred dolled up yo-yo's one upping one another.
The United States Constitution:

Quote:
Article II, Section 3:

Section 3 - State of the Union, Convening Congress
He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.

I think it's his job.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:02 PM

7,969 posts, read 9,183,974 times
I would just like to see them all sit and stay seated through out the entire speech. Don't really care where they sit. They can sit on each others' laps as far as I care.

The Legislative aerobic workout known as the State of the Union speech just gets tedious hearing the clapping and standing with practically every other word uttered by a President. It disrupts the flow of the speech.

Just once, I'd like to see a power point presentation showing the people of this country how BAD shape the country is in and start a dialogue on how to fix it instead of the usual tripe utterred during this traditional speech.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:04 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,121,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefieryphoenix View Post
This is a silly idea! It's nice and politically correct but Republicans and Democrats are fundamentally different. Nothing will really change as a result of this.
Agreed.

Why are we wasting our time discussing this when there are more pressing matters to attend to?

I voted no, and I'm a conservative. I just think it's stupid to even have this discussion. While I do believe that faking it enough can lead to the real thing, that is not the case with our elected representatives. And we don't pay them for that anyway, we don't pay them to make nice with the others, we pay them to represent what WE the people want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies