Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 07:53 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
It's not the right time to raise taxes, but it is clear that the Bush tax cuts failed to stimulate the economy in the 2000s. Government tax revenue never went up, which it WOULD with a successful tax cut. They should be raised just as soon as we're out of the recession.

And obviously people prefer spending cuts to taxes. But then when it comes to asking what they want cut... do you not want the roads plowed? do you want less funding for your kid's school? do you want less defense spending? people suddenly start realizing they don't want spending cuts.
Incorrect.

http://www.gao.gov/financial/citizensguide2008.pdf

From approx $1.9 T to $2.7 T 2004-2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 09:59 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Boy that is a tough one ...how ever much it is I bet it is less than the 1trillion that they are trying to repeal. I guess I assumed you were ...........nevermind.
Read my lips

REPUBLICANS CAN NOT REPEAL THE HEALTHCARE LAW

It can never happen in the next two years. So how much money are they wasting on a parliamentary procedure thats symbolic only?

If they get a Republican President elected, and get a 60 seat majority in the Senate, then repeal it if you want. Then it might actually do some good.

But as it stands right now there a repeal of the healthcare law stands a snowballs chance in hell.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Where ya been for the last 4 years?

Wasn't the republicans spending us into oblivion.

The dems and obama have a problem with no new spending.
Oh I agree, but saying that Democrats are the problem isn't fixing things.

Everybody is the problem, and elections aren't the way to fix it. You've got to work within the system to fix it. Write the President, ask him to change things. Vote for someone that doesn't have a R or a D in the next election.

It takes more than two years to put us in the hole we are in, it took at least 8. The last two years have been a response to that crap. If Republicans didn't mess everything up, Democrats wouldn't have had the chance to do the things you don't like.

And as I've already told you, President Bush signed into law more debt than the last two Democratic Presidents combined.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:22 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Wow 77% prefeer not to pay their debt, what a surprise

Old 01-15-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Read my lips

REPUBLICANS CAN NOT REPEAL THE HEALTHCARE LAW

It can never happen in the next two years. So how much money are they wasting on a parliamentary procedure thats symbolic only?

If they get a Republican President elected, and get a 60 seat majority in the Senate, then repeal it if you want. Then it might actually do some good.

But as it stands right now there a repeal of the healthcare law stands a snowballs chance in hell.
We all know they can't repeal, but they CAN and will defund as much of it as possible. Obama cannot force the GOP House to include funding for his monstrosity.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Oh I agree, but saying that Democrats are the problem isn't fixing things.

Everybody is the problem, and elections aren't the way to fix it. You've got to work within the system to fix it. Write the President, ask him to change things. Vote for someone that doesn't have a R or a D in the next election.

It takes more than two years to put us in the hole we are in, it took at least 8. The last two years have been a response to that crap. If Republicans didn't mess everything up, Democrats wouldn't have had the chance to do the things you don't like.

And as I've already told you, President Bush signed into law more debt than the last two Democratic Presidents combined.
You can claim whatever you like, but the numbers, the raw data, don't agree with you. It is a FACT that obama's 2010 budget will generate $1 trillion deficits every years for the next 10.

It is a fact the dems under pelosi have increased the debt by 60+% over the last 4 years.

It is a fact obama has created a deficit larger than all other presidents combined.

There are other facts as well. But the main one is the current path is unsustainable.

http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/112xx/doc11231/index.cfm

Deficit spending is not the answer, as we have seen as the economy has gotten WORSE not better, in spite of all the reckless spending by obama.

It wasn't too long ago that $458 Billion was met with howls of rage...not so much for trillions.

Time to get the axe swinging.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
We all know they can't repeal, but they CAN and will defund as much of it as possible. Obama cannot force the GOP House to include funding for his monstrosity.
Cool, so start a defunding bill.

How much money does it cost me and you for congress to waste time passing repeal bills that stand no chance of passing the next house or the Presidents desk.

If you're concerned about the budget, write them and tell them to end that stupidity, and to start working on defunding it.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
You can claim whatever you like, but the numbers, the raw data, don't agree with you. It is a FACT that obama's 2010 budget will generate $1 trillion deficits every years for the next 10.

It is a fact the dems under pelosi have increased the debt by 60+% over the last 4 years.

It is a fact obama has created a deficit larger than all other presidents combined.

There are other facts as well. But the main one is the current path is unsustainable.
The Bush administration passed a 7 trillion dollar bill at one sitting early in his administration.

That along with the other 7 years of his Presidency with two unpaid for wars, and doubling the size of government caused a good deal of the Obama deficit simply due to the increased interest payments.

Like I said, both parties are idiots. Now vote independent.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Cool, so start a defunding bill.

How much money does it cost me and you for congress to waste time passing repeal bills that stand no chance of passing the next house or the Presidents desk.

If you're concerned about the budget, write them and tell them to end that stupidity, and to start working on defunding it.
They made a promise to the voters and they will keep. They are not responsible for the Senate and obama's veto pen.

Quote:
The Bush administration passed a 7 trillion dollar bill at one sitting early in his administration.

That along with the other 7 years of his Presidency with two unpaid for wars, and doubling the size of government caused a good deal of the Obama deficit simply due to the increased interest payments.

Like I said, both parties are idiots. Now vote independent.
Where?

The second bold; Utter nonsense. Increasing the debt by 60+% is to blame.

The numbers are right in front of you, from a number of government sources, yet you still deny the basic facts in the issue.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
They made a promise to the voters and they will keep. They are not responsible for the Senate and obama's veto pen.

Where?

The second bold; Utter nonsense. Increasing the debt by 60+% is to blame.

The numbers are right in front of you, from a number of government sources, yet you still deny the basic facts in the issue.
Already responded to that once, Medicare part D.

A promise to waste money, woo hoo, hows that changey stuff working out for you.

How about they level with the voters "Look guys, we made the promise that we'd try to repeal healthcare, if it could be done. Unfortunately, we didn't win both houses of congress, and as such passing a repeal law would be a futile effort that wastes more of your money. We did promise to do what we could though, and as such we promise that we will do everything in the Houses power to defund the parts of the bill that are the worst that they can be, and we'll go head to head with the President over the budget to do so."

Of course, that'd mean politicians would have to tell the truth and think of you and me like adults.

Instead its like your dad promising you that he'll buy you a bicycle, you go to the store and pick out your favorite one, then go up front and he tells you "oops, we wasted money driving here for no reason, I don't have the money to buy you a bike"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies