Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:54 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,389,331 times

Advertisements

There is an op-ed in today's LA Times, by a woman who has been uninsured for two years, due to financial strains on the family, and was suddenly diagnosed with stage three breast cancer.

With her family facing the choice of financial ruin, or simply allowing her to die, she discovered that one key aspect of Obamacare, the Pre-existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP), is already in full effect in all fifty states of the union. The way the program works, if you have been uninsured for at least six months, and turned down by an insurance company due to a pre-existing condition, you are eligible for coverage under this plan.

This program is administered from either the State or Health Departments in every state (yes, even those where the AG has sued the Feds to stop the plan), and is available right now for those in need. Here is a web site that explains how it works:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...GxtL9bS8uwlvsA

Personal story- my son, now 26, was covered under my employment insurance till last year. He is on his own now, and has a pre-existing condition that prevented him from getting any form of health insurance.
He is now covered by California's PCIP, with reasonable monthly premiums, a medication plan, low deductables, $20 office co-pays, the whole works.

I encourage every one who is uninsured, and have been turned down for insurance due to a pre-existing condition, to apply through this program.

I have my problems with Obama, and Obamacare. He should have pushed hard for single-payer insurance, IMO. But, in coming up with PCIP, and getting it in effect so fast, the bother and congress done good It will be tragic if the SCOTUS tosses it out next year.

Re the LAT op-ed: the lady says she was an Obama supporter, till, like lots of us Dems, she became discouraged last year. She even scatched the Obama sticker off her car. Now, she's looking for a new one

Obama 2012- there is (literally) no other choice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 09:57 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,457,656 times
Let's see, she couldn't AFFORD it before she was diagnosed, but now she can? This has NOTHING to do with a pre-existing condition. That's not why she had no coverage. She had no coverage because she couldn't afford it. How can she afford it now? Something is wrong with this, is that why there is no link?.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:26 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Wanting everyone to have insurance is not the issue. Both sides of the aisle agree that everyone should have coverage. It's how it will be paid for and the overarching constitutionality of it all that deserves heavy scrutiny. Why do Liberals have trouble differentiating between the two?

Old 12-06-2011, 10:28 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Let's see, she couldn't AFFORD it before she was diagnosed, but now she can? This has NOTHING to do with a pre-existing condition. That's not why she had no coverage. She had no coverage because she couldn't afford it. How can she afford it now? Something is wrong with this, is that why there is no link?.
That's right I was told after my insurance ran out to get a Cobra plan for my wife and myself...yeah right if you had $1600.00 a month back in 2006.With all the trouble I have who could afford the rates and live on what meager means that is left over.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:43 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,099 times
Thats awesome. I think Ill drop my coverage then , save the money , and wait till if I get sick to get some.
Realy , why not , only a moron or a sick person would have ins now.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:45 AM

45,584 posts, read 27,203,264 times
The pre-existing condition clause will be the end of private health insurance.

How can you receive full health benefits without putting anything into the pot? Who pays?

And are they contracted on this insurance for a certain length of time? Or can they exit their insurance once they are better?

I just don't see how a company can pay out, and not receive payments until later, if at all - and stay in business.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:46 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The pre-existing condition clause will be the end of private health insurance.

How can you receive full health benefits without putting anything into the pot? Who pays?

And are they contracted on this insurance for a certain length of time? Or can they exit their insurance once they are better?

I just don't see how a company can pay out, and not receive payments until later, if at all - and stay in business.

They cant. No one who wanted this bill actualy wanted it to work except HI companies. The hope is for single payer when it flops. I hope otherwise.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:01 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,734,425 times
How many times must it be repeated: there is no such thing as a free lunch. Someone always pays.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:28 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,158,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
There is an op-ed in today's LA Times, by a woman who has been uninsured for two years, due to financial strains on the family, and was suddenly diagnosed with stage three breast cancer.

With her family facing the choice of financial ruin, or simply allowing her to die, she discovered that one key aspect of Obamacare, the Pre-existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP), is already in full effect in all fifty states of the union. The way the program works, if you have been uninsured for at least six months, and turned down by an insurance company due to a pre-existing condition, you are eligible for coverage under this plan.

This program is administered from either the State or Health Departments in every state (yes, even those where the AG has sued the Feds to stop the plan), and is available right now for those in need. Here is a web site that explains how it works:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...GxtL9bS8uwlvsA

Personal story- my son, now 26, was covered under my employment insurance till last year. He is on his own now, and has a pre-existing condition that prevented him from getting any form of health insurance.
He is now covered by California's PCIP, with reasonable monthly premiums, a medication plan, low deductables, $20 office co-pays, the whole works.

I encourage every one who is uninsured, and have been turned down for insurance due to a pre-existing condition, to apply through this program.

I have my problems with Obama, and Obamacare. He should have pushed hard for single-payer insurance, IMO. But, in coming up with PCIP, and getting it in effect so fast, the bother and congress done good It will be tragic if the SCOTUS tosses it out next year.

Re the LAT op-ed: the lady says she was an Obama supporter, till, like lots of us Dems, she became discouraged last year. She even scatched the Obama sticker off her car. Now, she's looking for a new one

Obama 2012- there is (literally) no other choice
Which company did your son get coverage from? Is his premium subsidized by taxpayers or is he paying the full premium? How much is the premium?

Old 12-06-2011, 12:31 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Which company did your son get coverage from? Is his premium subsidized by taxpayers or is he paying the full premium? How much is the premium?
Additionally, why does anyone need to be on their parents insurance at age 26? Are we raising losers and leeches in this country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies