Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 07:00 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times

Advertisements

Libertarians and progressives will enjoy this excellent article on how we now have this dual Justice system in the USA.....Where who you are, and who you know, determines your guilt or innocence.

They don't even bother with trials.

Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

we now have a multi-tiered justice system in the United States where citizens have their legal rights, obligations and punishments determined exclusively by their status and class. Thus, someone like Jose Padilla, in the lowest class of literal non-person (accused Terrorist), has virtually no chance regardless of the merits of his claims against someone like Donald Rumsfeld, who resides in the highest and most privileged class (high-level political official). As Padilla's counsel, Ben Wizner, said, the court yesterday ruled "that Donald Rumsfeld is above the law and Jose Padilla is beneath it." That's just what the American justice system is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 07:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
"Liberty and Justice for All." Yeah, right.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:19 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
You know the old saying money talks, bull**** walks!

Old 02-18-2011, 07:26 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,097,596 times
Hey! We can't go to the ideal one system of justice for all!!! I just got to the "elite" tier! I want my own brand of justice, not the regular watered down kind!!!!!!

Old 02-18-2011, 07:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Are you just coming to this realization now ?

The power players have always been "above" the current system.
Did anyone from Wall Street go to jail ? And Madoff doesn't count..I'm talking Lehman, Bear, GS ?
Did anyone from the SEC go to jail ?
Did anyone from the banks go to jail ?

Old 02-18-2011, 07:34 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Anyone who doesn't rely on the liberal MSM or FOX for their news already knew this a long time ago. There are the elite/globalists, and then there are us. If you don't think that international banks run the gears of this country, then all hope is lost

Old 02-18-2011, 07:54 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Libertarians and progressives will enjoy this excellent article on how we now have this dual Justice system in the USA.....Where who you are, and who you know, determines your guilt or innocence.
What do you expect? The justice system, from the city level to the national level, is filled with political hacks placed there by ideologs. Most judges waft around in the politically-correct winds like the tassels in a corn field and the ones who don't don't last long.

But as the old Toyota commercial goes, "you ask for it, you go it..."

Old 02-18-2011, 07:57 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
What surprises me is that everyone thinks that this is new.
It's been going on since I became politically aware and I'm old.

It probably happened before then, too.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What surprises me is that everyone thinks that this is new.
It's been going on since I became politically aware and I'm old.

It probably happened before then, too.
From the various posts on this thread..just seems the OP is discovering this; the rest of us are not phased by it. This is as old as politics.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
This system may indeed be older than the hills. That does not make it right or proper. If we think so and do nothing about it we are no more than the property of the elite like peasants in past times.

Most of us, right and left, are not of the elite or, it appears, elitists. I am left of center but I am certainly not an elitist. My Liberal positions are based on the primacy of the individual regardless of economic or social status. I believe we should all be free to be what we are capable of being and not shut out of opportunity because we do not have the money or the connections. I know I am an idealist and a leftist but do not consider that a slur.

Remember it says: “One nation, Under God, with Liberty and Justice for ALL”. Is making that equally true for all of us such a bad goal?

Last edited by GregW; 02-18-2011 at 08:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies