Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:27 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
I've lived in a "poor white area" before and crime was nearly nonexistent. I love the assumption that since I'm white I'm part of the "privileged majority" and the assumption that I must be upper middle class.
I made no such assumption. I haven't given a second's thought to your 'race' nor economic standing.

Quote:
I abhor the use of poverty as an excuse for crime.
I abhor the use of 'race' as an excuse for crime. I also abhor crime.

Quote:
By the way do you always come off as so arrogant or are you trying really hard now so you'll be super anti-racist man?
Beauty & arrogance are in the eye & mind of the beholder.

Quote:
All of your talk of "socio-economic class," why don't you give a precise objective definition of that. What are the parameters of each class, I mean we need objective definitions if we are to use your criteria. The truth is "socio-economic classes" are completely subjective and worthless. What's poor to one is middle class to another.
You make some valid points here. Of course a person making $30,000 in one area will have a different amount of purchasing power than a person making $30,000 in another area.

Do we have an objective definition of 'race'? The truth is 'race' is completely subjective and worthless.

The point is this:

All of the stats that people googled and posted in this thread to support their 'arguments' are useless at best and misleading at worst.

Think of it this way. Researchers find that there is a correlation between the number of drownings in public pools and the amount of ice cream sold by sidewalk venders. Does ice cream cause drowning? Does drowning cause an increase the amount of ice cream sold? Or does a third variable (warm weather) cause more people to swim (and drown) and buy ice cream?

Just because two things are correlated (crime and minorities) does not mean that one causes the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 01:19 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
I wanted to add a bit more to some calculations after I was talking to my sister this morning. She brought it to my attention that 60% of rapes go unreported. Then on top of that about 2/3rds of all rapes happen within a small span of time(about 9 PM till 3 AM).

So if there are 100,000 rapes a year, then in reality there are about 250,000 rapes a year. Which means between the hours of 9 PM till about 3 AM, there would be on average one rape every 50 seconds in America.

Powered by Google Docs

Old 01-19-2011, 01:24 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Did Fatman just call blacks racist for owning guns? Lolz.

It really is funny how Hollyweird *******s embarrass themselves on the national stage so often, and best of all, they don't even realize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It's because most people blasted away with gun violence are minorities. That's what Michael Moore is getting at.
Then maybe we should take guns away from minorities since they don't know how to keep and use them properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
I'm white, all of my guns are black. No racism there.
Post of the day!

Old 01-19-2011, 01:32 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
That's not what I meant. A lot of gun related deaths were caused by racism. Michael Moore did a clip on this topic in The Awful Truth. A lot of unarmed black men were killed with gun violence by the police.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeOaT...x=0&playnext=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Did Fatman just call blacks racist for owning guns? Lolz.

It really is funny how Hollyweird *******s embarrass themselves on the national stage so often, and best of all, they don't even realize it.

Then maybe we should take guns away from minorities since they don't know how to keep and use them properly?

Post of the day!

Old 01-19-2011, 01:34 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,604,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
This circle jerk between Maddow and Moore is pretty funny.

Breitbart.tv » Michael Moore: People Own Guns Because They’re Racist

Moores statements are more racist then his message...Hes a dope!

Last edited by kerrymac; 01-19-2011 at 02:05 PM..

Old 01-19-2011, 01:39 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Quote:
That's not what I meant. A lot of gun related deaths were caused by racism. Michael Moore did a clip on this topic in The Awful Truth. A lot of unarmed black men were killed with gun violence by the police.
That's a police problem, not a societal problem. The police need to be better trained in spotting a bad guy vs a good guy.

When thousands of white people start randomly shooting dead black guys then people like Moore would have a valid claim about gun owners being "racist".

Most white gun-owners are responsible people who use the guns for hunting, since the majority of white gun-owners live in small town, rural areas. It's a rite-of-passage for many young American boys.

The majority of black gun owners live in urban cities. Obviously, they're not using the guns to go caribou hunting, are they?

Old 01-19-2011, 01:46 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,947 times
Quote:
That's what I'm asking. I have not seen the clip because of technological failures. I am going by the title of this thread alluding about an insinuation that hefty may have made.
People will listen to Rush Limbaugh. For others it's Michael Moore. Some prefers Glen Beck or Bill O'Reilly and his No-Spin Zone. And where would we be without Keith Olbermann? So why doesn't any quote me? Huh? If folks are going to follow the words and thoughts of others, what's wrong with me being one of those "others"? I've got opinions. I've contemplated social issues.

Here's what I want to see, a thread called Galileo Smith; Dunk Tank Clowns Are Antisemitic, or some such thing. Then we will know beyond any doubt that we really are mindless sheep whose opinions and social views are formed by anyone other than ourselves.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:12 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
This circle jerk between Maddow and Moore is pretty funny.

Breitbart.tv » Michael Moore: People Own Guns Because They’re Racist

Still laughin'............................still laughin'...........OK, I'm done now.

This really raises some important questions.

Do we need a federal anti-lynching law because people won't commit murder if there is a lynching law?

Do people who lynch concern themselves with laws?

In 2011, do we still have a lynching problem?

If everyone had the ability to respond to an attempted lynching with a lynching of their own, wouldn't that solve the problem of lynching?

Old 01-19-2011, 02:28 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
WTF kind of country is that dangerous?
Well if you live in a country where you have next to nothing and even less money, why would people want to rob you or invade your home? They won't get anything. Here in America it is different. There are poeple who actually HAVE things and HAVE money, so they become targets for the thugs.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:47 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
Michael Moore fights for the little guy, an advocate of the hard working people out there trying to make ends-meet. He's a good guy

OK, take his fat butt to Denmark and keep him there. I'm sure he'll enjoy the "free" health care your country will provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies