Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 12:51 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
Sovereign-citizen movement

Explained: Jared Loughner

The alleged shooter’s statements closely echo the teachings of a popular far-right tax-resister movement.
thanks for the above link.

Many of his seemingly random statements—on "grammar," "the ratifications," "the new currency," and more—echo the teachings of the "sovereign citizen" movement, a right-wing school of thought alleging that Americans have been surreptitiously stripped of their God-given rights.
These are not random parallels, as I discovered in reviewing Loughner's YouTube videos. In multiple instances, he uses the precise talking points sovereign-citizen theorists teach via a thriving cottage industry of books, websites, bogus legal companies, and seminars; one popular theorist, David Wynn Miller, told the New York Times that Loughner has "probably been on my website."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 12:52 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,054,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
Perhaps you like most Liberals are still mad that you couldn't pin the blame on any Conservatives.
But I wrote perhaps

Old 01-19-2011, 12:53 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,372 times
Quote:
Perhaps you like most Liberals are still mad that you couldn't pin the blame on any Conservatives.
It can as easily be "pinned"on conservatives as liberals..........need I repeat DAVID WINN MILLER........or Sovereign Citizens?

Old 01-19-2011, 12:55 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Did Palin really say the shooter was a liberal
She used the phrase "perhaps left-leaning", nothing like a little idle, baseless speculation to fuel the faithful

Old 01-19-2011, 12:58 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
Pathetic attempt by the right to say Jared Laughner was a liberal... Obviously playing on the dumbing down of their political right-wing supporters...
Let's see. He hates Bush he keeps Communist Manifesto and Mein Kampf under his mattress worships skulls in his backyard smokes dope. I say he's a lib.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:01 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,983,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
But I wrote perhaps
As did I!

Old 01-19-2011, 01:03 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Fact of the matter is there is nothing to indicate that this guy is a liberal, and nothing to indicate this guy is a conservative. Nor does any evidence exist to show he was influenced by the rhetoric.

I do think the call to tone down the rhetoric has its place in the discussion, but I think its unfair to blame the rhetoric of Palin, Beck, Limbaugh, etc for this incident. I, however, do find it a bit disingenuous that when Limbaugh, Palin, etc defend themselves on this and point out no evidence exists to show this guy was influenced by the rhetoric (which they have the right to do and is true), they then go off how this guy is a liberal when no evidence suggests that either.

They are complaining about unfair attacks from some of those on the left by trying to link them to this guy (which is fine and I would agree is unfair) but then going off and doing the exact same thing to the left by trying to link this guy to them. Stewart had an excellent piece on this last night regarding Palin's interview with Sean Hannity.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:03 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
She read the script she was handed that contained the phrase "perhaps left-leaning", nothing like a little idle, baseless speculation to fuel the faithful
What a brat! I still can't believe she said that. Sarah is being terribly mishandled by her management. I'ts fine if she want's to be a reality star or a pundit, but she should stop publicly defending herself against people who are not going to respect her no matter what she says. She is looking like a fool right now.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:04 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,983,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
It can as easily be "pinned"on conservatives as liberals..........need I repeat DAVID WINN MILLER........or Sovereign Citizens?

No need since there's no proof that the shooter ever actually heard of Miller.

And, it's not even been establish that Miller represents Conservatism anymore than an Environmental Terrorists represent Liberalism.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:05 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Let see the link that proves the most Liberals comment, betta can't come up with one, which means your are projecting again.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies