Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you admire Jim DeMint for taking a stand against gays?
Yes, I admire him for this 18 19.15%
No, I do not 71 75.53%
Not sure / No opinion 5 5.32%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:31 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,986,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
If "disagreement" means means that 10% of the population (gay people) are "sinners" who have fewer rights than the rest of us under the law, then yes. That's hate.

Fallacious argument.

Using your same logic, if you disagree with the other 90%, it's hate.

I thought in the USA you had a right to believe whatever you choose to believe.

If DeMint doesn't want to attend some meeting, it's his choice.

Saying he hates or has to go is demagoguery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 08:49 AM

9,892 posts, read 10,835,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Not attending an event doesn't make him a bigot. His stated reasons for doing so most certainly do.
Well according to you, and therefore you consider millions of Americans that share the Christian faith Bigots, I believe that says more about you than it does them.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:51 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,802,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
Fallacious argument.

Using your same logic, if you disagree with the other 90%, it's hate.

I thought in the USA you had a right to believe whatever you choose to believe.

If DeMint doesn't want to attend some meeting, it's his choice.

Saying he hates or has to go is demagoguery.
This is probably a waste of my time but here it goes anyway.

1. Don't follow an accusation of using fallacy by using a fallacy. This is the USA and you can believe whatever you want to believe. That has absolutely nothing to do with someone being hateful or not. An example:

"I believe that black people are inferior. Those stupid n iggers should keep to themselves and not talk with white ladies, much less marry them."

This is both someone's opinion and hateful. The two are not mutually exclusive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignorat...hi#Red_herring

2. I didn't say one thing about Jim DeMint, much less where he is supposed to go.

3. Look again at what 'demagoguery' means. I'm not sure you know how to use that word in a sentence.

Last edited by Art123; 01-25-2011 at 09:49 AM..

Old 01-25-2011, 08:59 AM

38,025 posts, read 22,198,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Yep, he said it. He also doesn't want pregnant unmarried women to teach either. It's his base in SC - the Bob Jones crowd.

DeMint Under Fire Again for Saying Gays and Unmarried Pregnant Women Shouldn't Be Teachers - FoxNews.com
There is nothing about CPAC in that link. So you folks are just assuming DeMint said what the OP claims.

Does the left need any proof, or are they all just like sheriff Stupnik?

Old 01-25-2011, 09:16 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,240,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
DeMint to skip CPAC – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Jim DeMint. What a fascist.

Is CPAC's future doomed because a few gays want to participate?
I don't know about him being a fascist but he sure is prejudice.
The GOP's loss will be the DEM's gain and cuased by attitudes like his.
Gay people pay taxes, there is no ban in our constitution for being gay and many many gays have served this country with honor and distinction.
I shake my head and wonder how some people can hate others without ever taking the time to know them first.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:20 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,039,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
There is nothing about CPAC in that link. So you folks are just assuming DeMint said what the OP claims.

Does the left need any proof, or are they all just like sheriff Stupnik?
Thought you were talking about the bit on what he said about gays in public schools. OP should provide the link then, don't you think?

Old 01-25-2011, 09:30 AM

38,025 posts, read 22,198,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Thought you were talking about the bit on what he said about gays in public schools. OP should provide the link then, don't you think?
....230+ posts and still no proof.

Bah! Who needs proof, when you have bias!!

Old 01-25-2011, 10:23 AM

22,208 posts, read 19,494,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Pro-gay is when you think that homosexuals deserve special treatment as a protected class. It is when you think that gays have the right to prance around in gay pride parades, without allowing anybody to even say that they are offended.
I believe in treating everyone equally. But, you always jump to defend a gay person regarding discrimination, harrassment, or civil right to say or do anything they want. And if anyone has a different opinion then they are hateful or bigoted.
If gays are offended then the straight person must be doing something wrong.
If straights are offended then the straight person needs to stop hating, and learn to accept it.
Gays can't help who they are... they were born that way... - That is a bunch of BS! being attracted to the same sex does not mean that you get a free pass on public decency and behavior.
You don't believe in treating everyone equally, you believe offering the same rights to gays that you and I already have is special treatment. Its not special treatment, its equal treatment.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:24 PM

47,008 posts, read 26,056,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
So Demint is doing the right thing if he has a problem with open displays of homosexuality then he is avoiding it..........or would you rather he go and be confrontational and try and force his opinions and beliefs on others.
There is a third option: He could adopt a mature attitude and live with the fact that he shares a world with people different from him.

But sure, if his self-control is poor enough that he can't see a same-sex couple without causing a confrontation, the issue is his and he should probably stay away. (Why anyone would want somebody bereft of impulse control in a leadership role seems a bit of a mystery, admittedly.)

Old 01-25-2011, 02:15 PM

37,176 posts, read 19,255,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
There is a third option: He could adopt a mature attitude and live with the fact that he shares a world with people different from him.

But sure, if his self-control is poor enough that he can't see a same-sex couple without causing a confrontation, the issue is his and he should probably stay away. (Why anyone would want somebody bereft of impulse control in a leadership role seems a bit of a mystery, admittedly.)
Welcome to South Carolina...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies