Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 09:12 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,865,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Well, this law was passed in UTAH... and if I'm not mistaken, a good portion of their population lives in urban & suburban settings. I imagine they have animal control in places like Salt Lake City, so it would be unnecessary to shoot a stray if you lived there - but like I said earlier, things are obviously different in the country vs city. However this is a statewide ordinance, so you can't even claim it only applies to those in rural areas.
It can't apply to urban/city areas because most urban/city areas forbid the use of firearms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 09:16 PM

Some of the results of feral cats in Australia....

Old 01-25-2011, 09:19 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Animal control trapped maybe 10, it's a big problem in some areas, people feel sorry for these cats but there not doing their neighbors any favors by feeding them unless they catch them get them fixed and find them a home, just feeding them just makes more of them until it's out of control.
Animal control just puts most of them down anyway.
It's absolutely a big problem when some simply feeds ferals without taking the added step of getting them spayed/neutered. However, animal control has certainly not lived up to their mandate if they only trapped ten or so ...it's obviously an ongoing problem that needs a steady and continued response.

Most feral cats are euthanized because they haven't been socialized and do not respond well to humans. It's really too bad. Trap-neuter-release is a compromise solution, not perfect but helps.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:21 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,767,894 times
Republican responses to problems:

1. Tax cuts
2. Guns
3. Deregulation

The problem isn't the issue, just pick 1-3 or a combination of the three to solve the problem.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:22 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Are you doubting the natural cycle of life, Oz? Do you not think cats (and dogs) serve a purpose in controlling other animal populations? Btw, those first two pictures are of parrots, and wild parrots are rarely seen in the US - aside from the "wild parrots of Telegraph Hill" here in SF, which were most likely the result of released pets.

I'm not denying the cat populations are out of control, but giving citizens free reign to "shoot at will" has some dangerous implications... again, I am MOST worried about people using this as an excuse to shoot loose/stray pets. Don't like your neighbor's annoying barking dog? Shoot it! Don't like cats? Shoot any who cross your path, regardless of whether they have a collar or not! Why not find a more humane way to control the population, like the program I mentioned earlier in the thread?

We try to use humane methods here in the Bay Area, and our feral cat population is comparatively small - and feral dogs are pretty much nonexistent. Even in the rural areas around us, you rarely (if ever) see wild packs of dogs or HUGE feral cat colonies. The problems lie mostly with irresponsible owners refusing to spay & neuter, letting their pets roam freely, and releasing animals they don't want anymore... shooting them will do nothing, as long as this HUMAN behavior continues.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:32 PM

This debate reminds me a bit of the Burmese Python issue in Florida/LA... people think we need to kill all the Burmese Pythons roaming down there, but they fail to consider "where did they come from, and why?" Burmese Pythons aren't native to the US, so clearly they were imported/purchased and later released into the wild. Rather than killing all of them, we need to educate the public on these beautiful creatures - and how big they can grow. Nobody should be allowed to purchase them without proper knowledge, secured LARGE enclosures, and so on. Don't punish the animals, punish the irresponsible buyers who think it's okay to release a snake when it gets too big.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Are you doubting the natural cycle of life, Oz? Do you not think cats (and dogs) serve a purpose in controlling other animal populations? Btw, those first two pictures are of parrots, and wild parrots are rarely seen in the US - aside from the "wild parrots of Telegraph Hill" here in SF, which were most likely the result of released pets.

I'm not denying the cat populations are out of control, but giving citizens free reign to "shoot at will" has some dangerous implications... again, I am MOST worried about people using this as an excuse to shoot loose/stray pets. Don't like your neighbor's annoying barking dog? Shoot it! Don't like cats? Shoot any who cross your path, regardless of whether they have a collar or not! Why not find a more humane way to control the population, like the program I mentioned earlier in the thread?

We try to use humane methods here in the Bay Area, and our feral cat population is comparatively small - and feral dogs are pretty much nonexistent. Even in the rural areas around us, you rarely (if ever) see wild packs of dogs or HUGE feral cat colonies. The problems lie mostly with irresponsible owners refusing to spay & neuter, letting their pets roam freely, and releasing animals they don't want anymore... shooting them will do nothing, as long as this HUMAN behavior continues.
Feral cats are not native to anywhere,in Australia(where the pics are from you might note) they have decimated native fauna.

Feral cats here in the USA kill millions of songbirds every year.

What you see as a cuddly little moggy is a very well developed killer.

As to shooting a stray dog on my property,at THIS place and point in time,no.

When we relocate and have livestock,yes.

Strangely enough,people in rural areas know this,it seems to be a problem for city dwellers to grasp.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
This debate reminds me a bit of the Burmese Python issue in Florida/LA... people think we need to kill all the Burmese Pythons roaming down there, but they fail to consider "where did they come from, and why?" Burmese Pythons aren't native to the US, so clearly they were imported/purchased and later released into the wild. Rather than killing all of them, we need to educate the public on these beautiful creatures - and how big they can grow. Nobody should be allowed to purchase them without proper knowledge, secured LARGE enclosures, and so on. Don't punish the animals, punish the irresponsible buyers who think it's okay to release a snake when it gets too big.
Of course they should be eradicated....

I imagine some people find Africanised bees beautiful,however you probably don't REALLY want them nearby....

Old 01-25-2011, 09:35 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Do you have any idea of the scope of the python problem here?
I do, it aint pretty.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Feral cats are not native to anywhere,in Australia(where the pics are from you might note) they have decimated native fauna.

Feral cats here in the USA kill millions of songbirds every year.
Which is why we need to control the population... and once again, I'll say the best way is through trap/neuter/release programs, educating the public, enforcing (or creating) spay/neuter laws, and imposing penalties on irresponsible owners.

Quote:
Strangely enough,people in rural areas know this,it seems to be a problem for city dwellers to grasp.
While I said I have mostly lived in urban areas, I have also lived in rural areas... and even there, I didn't notice wild packs of dogs/cats or people shooting them at will. Of course you have a right to shoot threatening animals, but I don't think that's the end-all answer to this problem. We had wild bears, coyotes, foxes, etc, where I used to live, and they did cause problems from time to time - but we didn't have free reign to shoot them, and they were handled by humane trapping or relocation (to the woods). Well, except for the coyotes, who were mostly just tolerated as "residents" of the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies