Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:22 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,940,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
So let me get this straight, you think all of that earmark spending in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Spendapalooza Act that he signed is "Republican" like? You think the massive federal government hiring he has done (not counting census workers), is Republican-like? You think Obamacare is Republican-like? You think kissing the butts of big labor, take overs in the car industry, shutting down drilling in the Gulf, intrusion into personal freedom, encouraging snitching online, non transparent transparency, hiring a self-avowed Communist, doing social re-engineering, interfering with parents in the schools, kissing the butts of big finance/corporations while burying small businesses in regulations/red-tape, attempting Cap and Trade then using regulation to sneak by the same stuff, and starting a war with the Chamber of Commerce was Republican-like?

I don't care what the man says, his actions belie his speech then and now.
How do you kiss the butts of big corporations and big labor simultaneously?

This whole paragraph is a mish-mash of pure excrement, but the general notion that Obama is a corporatist absolutely aligns him with the neoliberal doctrine which dominates both the Democratic and the Republican party. The Republicans are more openly pro-business than the Democrats, but both parties are largely dominated by shills for corporate interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 11:38 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
So let me get this straight, you think all of that earmark spending in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Spendapalooza Act that he signed is "Republican" like?
Considering that 2/3 of the spending was towards tax cuts, you bet. Sounds republican-like to me.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:39 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Obama is a centrist?!?!?! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... I guess the kool-ade was spiked with mind control drugs.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:48 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Nailed it. Obama ran as a centrist, was elected as a centrist, and has run the country center/right. The only people who think he's some kind of far leftist are the ignorant, or so off in la-la land to the extreme right they think David Duke is a moderate.
Can you point out all the centrist thinking czars in the White House? i haven't seen any of them and as LauraC says he will use regulation to carry out his left leaning agenda without using Congress.

I guess you don't realize what that dirty word, to me, regulation means.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:50 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
There is NO centrist turn, just the media trying to pull a fast one and taking their cue from the obama "transformation" team, which knows he needs those moderates for reelection.

The Left knows this too.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:58 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
It takes an extremist to see everybody else as a radical and enemy of the society. I prefer to debate in right wing heavy forums. Does that make me a believer in, and proponent of, right wing nuttery?
Apples and oranges. Obama, by his own admission and by his life experiences, is a man of the far left. That's fine. But don't try to make him out to be something he's not.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
So let me get this straight, you think all of that earmark spending in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Spendapalooza Act that he signed is "Republican" like? You think the massive federal government hiring he has done (not counting census workers), is Republican-like? You think Obamacare is Republican-like? You think kissing the butts of big labor, take overs in the car industry, shutting down drilling in the Gulf, intrusion into personal freedom, encouraging snitching online, non transparent transparency, hiring a self-avowed Communist, doing social re-engineering, interfering with parents in the schools, kissing the butts of big finance/corporations while burying small businesses in regulations/red-tape, attempting Cap and Trade then using regulation to sneak by the same stuff, and starting a war with the Chamber of Commerce was Republican-like?

I don't care what the man says, his actions belie his speech then and now.
What THEY are missing is that the SOTU the other night was just another campaign speech just like all those in 2008. Maybe he didn't move to the center that night but he did deliver another campaign speech which would make him appear centrist. Your list of left leaning things he has pushed and got into effect should make even the worst of THEM to understand what you were saying. However, THEY won't be convinced that all those things were the actions of left leaning politicians since THEY think that those things are all the best for the nation.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
I'm not sure who this rant is directed at, but you talk a lot about government spending. The republicans are working hard to convince you that the democrats love spending.

But here is the truth: The biggest spenders since 1960 have all been republicans. deficits go up with republicans, down with democrats. look up the stats yourself. So yes, driving up debt is absolutely "republican like"
Do you really want to compare the last year's spending with those Republicans you blame for it all? Why don't you look up some stats, yourself?

Old 01-28-2011, 12:00 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Apples and oranges. Obama, by his own admission and by his life experiences, is a man of the far left. That's fine. But don't try to make him out to be something he's not.
I think there is some value to reading and listening. But NEVER make that more important than your capacity to think about what you heard and read.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:01 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
You are apsolutely correct. The right still thinks people voted for Obama because he would push a far left agenda and they are surpised when he acts more centrist. It tells me they do not know anything about those that disagree with the far right agenda or anything about President Obama.
No surprises for me, besides we do not need to bemoan anything, the far right does enough bemoaning here for everyone.
Casper
I don't dispute that most people who voted for him believed the campaign hype and thought they were electing a centrist. But his first two years in office disabused them of that notion and that is why the middle abandoned him and the Democrats in 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies