Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:38 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times

Advertisements

Why are homeless people announcing their sexuality? Is this some type of hilarious joke? Do the homeless wear pink triangles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 06:39 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
This is why it's important to have a social safety net that is run by the government. Relying on private charities - as many conservatives suggest we do - leads to problems such as this:

Ga. Homeless Shelter Bans Gay People | News | The Advocate
I agree with you. I don't think conservatives have a problem with a state running a homeless shelter. Why would they?

Old 01-28-2011, 06:39 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,654,332 times
Quote:
In other words, don't ask, don't tell, huh? I think we've moved beyond that in this country.

You're suggesting that gay homeless shelter residents shouldn't be allowed to talk about their relationships or have visits from significant others?
Why do you need to tell the shelter you're gay in the first place?

Old 01-28-2011, 06:41 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Some of you obviously learned nothing from the debates over the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:47 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
I used to have a boss that we all loved because she was so practical and fair. I have seen employees give other employees a hard time by suggesting that something be done, many times a not very pleasant job, but they suggest that someone else do it. This thread reminds me of that.

If you don't like the way this hard working organization runs their shelter, then what is stopping you from starting your own shelter and you can work hard on a shelter for your gay friends.

In other words with this boss I am talking about, if you went to her with a suggestion you had better be ready to roll up your sleeves and go to work on it. The thought was that if you see something that needs to be done, then maybe that is God's way to tell you to do it.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:49 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,654,332 times
Quote:
Some of you obviously learned nothing from the debates over the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell.
Oh, so enrolling into a homeless shelter is akin to enrolling into the military?

Thanks. If I ever am homeless, I'll just live in my van down the river.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:55 PM

948 posts, read 1,386,409 times
Quote:
This is why it's important to have a social safety net that is run by the government. Relying on private charities - as many conservatives suggest we do - leads to problems such as this:

Ga. Homeless Shelter Bans Gay People | News | The Advocate
I don't think that shelters operated by the government and funded by tax monies are necessary to solve this problem.
Rather I would suggest that people in need of access to a homeless shelter private or otherwise are covered under the fair housing laws and will soon included Gay, Lesbian, and transgender people.

Quote:
DISCRIMINATORY CONDUCT UNDER THE FAIR HOUSING ACT,
§ 100.5 Scope.
a) It is the policy of the United States to provide, within constitutional limitations, for fair housing throughout the United States. No person shall be subjected to discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin in the sale, rental, or advertising of dwellings, in the provision of brokerage services, or in the availability of residential real estate-related transactions

§ 100.20 Definitions
Dwelling means any building, structure or portion thereof which is occupied as, or designed or intended for occupancy as, a residence by one or more families, and any vacant land which is offered for sale or lease for the construction or location thereon of any such building, structure or portion thereof

Person in the business of selling or renting dwellings means any person who:
Is the owner of any dwelling designed or intended for occupancy by, or occupied by, five or more families.

The purpose of this subpart is to effectuate sections 6 (a) and (b) and 15 of the Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988.

§ 100.201 Definitions
Dwelling unit means a single unit of residence for a family or one or more persons. Examples of dwelling units include: a single family home; an apartment unit within an apartment building; and in other types of dwellings in which sleeping accommodations are provided but toileting or cooking facilities are shared by occupants of more than one room or portion of the dwelling, rooms in which people sleep. Examples of the latter include dormitory rooms and sleeping accommodations in shelters intended for occupancy as a residence for homeless persons

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=da0cb62eed900f3249edbb81af304f1a&rg n=div5&view=text&node=24:1.2.1.1.1&idno=24#24:1.2. 1.1.1.1.97.2 - broken link)
As of the Jan 24, 2011 HUD has made an recommendation to include Lesbian, Gay and Gender Identity, under the FHA laws.

Steve Rothaus' Gay South Florida

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/docu...?id=LGBTPR.PDF

So with the pending addition of LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender people) to the FHA definitions and scope of FHA that includes private homeless shelters the refusal of a LGBT to a homeless shelter will be prohibited. I think that with the addition to the FHA scope the actions of House of Mercy will soon be illegal
With that there is no reason to keep homeless shelters funded by the government based on this topic.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:00 PM

281 posts, read 446,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I used to have a boss that we all loved because she was so practical and fair. I have seen employees give other employees a hard time by suggesting that something be done, many times a not very pleasant job, but they suggest that someone else do it. This thread reminds me of that.

If you don't like the way this hard working organization runs their shelter, then what is stopping you from starting your own shelter and you can work hard on a shelter for your gay friends.

In other words with this boss I am talking about, if you went to her with a suggestion you had better be ready to roll up your sleeves and go to work on it. The thought was that if you see something that needs to be done, then maybe that is God's way to tell you to do it.
So when you went up to your boss to complain about your fellow employees disciminating against black people, she told you this was a hard working company and if you don't like it, you can work hard on a company for your black friends?

Old 01-28-2011, 07:13 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmik View Post
I don't think that shelters operated by the government and funded by tax monies are necessary to solve this problem.
Rather I would suggest that people in need of access to a homeless shelter private or otherwise are covered under the fair housing laws and will soon included Gay, Lesbian, and transgender people.

As of the Jan 24, 2011 HUD has made an recommendation to include Lesbian, Gay and Gender Identity, under the FHA laws.

Steve Rothaus' Gay South Florida

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/docu...?id=LGBTPR.PDF

So with the pending addition of LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender people) to the FHA definitions and scope of FHA that includes private homeless shelters the refusal of a LGBT to a homeless shelter will be prohibited. I think that with the addition to the FHA scope the actions of House of Mercy will soon be illegal
With that there is no reason to keep homeless shelters funded by the government based on this topic.
If the homeless shelter is not receiving funds from the feds, then I believe HUD would have no power over them.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:21 PM

948 posts, read 1,386,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
If the homeless shelter is not receiving funds from the feds, then I believe HUD would have no power over them.
FHA is only under HUDS tent. FHA laws apply to all housing rental, sale and in this case homeless shelters.
If you have rented an apartment you may have seen the green poster that says Fair Housing Rights. That's FHA

Edit: I apologize. I should have stated that in my post. I do sometimes forget that not everyone knows my profession, which is rental. Lucky for you I'm not a Dr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies