Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 05:03 PM

157 posts, read 153,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The top base salary is not $108,000 considering the median base salary is $116,000....

Fact is we are talking about the Nassau County Budget, the Nassau County workforce. Taking a looking at the pay for the Nassau County workforce, the highest paid are virtually all cops. That is why I am targeting them the most. We have an issue with the county budget, we need to fix it from all sides.
Again the reason for the county budget is that politician want to look good and won't raise taxes to where they should be. County taxes are not high , school taxes are. So you will play this game all day long with county taxes to see it not go up a hundred bucks while school taxes go up 500 a year. It is a big stroke job. Which shows you don't care as much about your money goin out , you care that cops are making what you think is to much. There are lots of problems with the school budgets right now, especially with the state cuts. But why discuss that. Johnny may not play tennis. Herd over like sheep to the polls and vote yes. Even if there is enough guts to vote no the contingency plan for 400 bucks will kick in. And the library is an out dated thing of the past. I am doing all my research on university web sites. All they need is a kids section , and a study room. Go get your books at Barnes and Nobles. Or is that to much for ya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 05:08 PM

157 posts, read 153,530 times
Quote:
The top base salary is not $108,000 considering the median base salary is $116,000....

Fact is we are talking about the Nassau County Budget, the Nassau County workforce. Taking a looking at the pay for the Nassau County workforce, the highest paid are virtually all cops. That is why I am targeting them the most. We have an issue with the county budget, we need to fix it from all sides.
From the recruiting web site. It states $108,000. Maybe in 2015 it will be 116,000. Stop spinning. Keith Olbermann is gone for now

$34,000 Annual Starting Salary
$108,132 after 8 years
12% Night Differential
*These salaries do not include overtime earnings, shift differential, holiday pay and uniform allowance.
10 paid holidays annually for the first two years increasing to 12 thereafter 18-26 sick days annually
Health/Dental/Optical Plan premiums fully paid by Nassau County
20 Year Non-Contributory 50% Retirement
Tax Deferred Payroll Deducted Savings Plan (457 Deferred Compensation Plan)

Old 02-14-2011, 05:12 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthone View Post
Again the reason for the county budget is that politician want to look good and won't raise taxes to where they should be. County taxes are not high , school taxes are. So you will play this game all day long with county taxes to see it not go up a hundred bucks while school taxes go up 500 a year. It is a big stroke job. Which shows you don't care as much about your money goin out , you care that cops are making what you think is to much. There are lots of problems with the school budgets right now, especially with the state cuts. But why discuss that. Johnny may not play tennis. Herd over like sheep to the polls and vote yes. Even if there is enough guts to vote no the contingency plan for 400 bucks will kick in. And the library is an out dated thing of the past. I am doing all my research on university web sites. All they need is a kids section , and a study room. Go get your books at Barnes and Nobles. Or is that to much for ya
I agree with the fact that the county taxes need to be raised, but that does not mean that the police wages and compensation is not also out of line.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthone View Post
From the recruiting web site. It states $108,000. Maybe in 2015 it will be 116,000. Stop spinning. Keith Olbermann is gone for now

$34,000 Annual Starting Salary
$108,132 after 8 years
12% Night Differential
*These salaries do not include overtime earnings, shift differential, holiday pay and uniform allowance.
10 paid holidays annually for the first two years increasing to 12 thereafter 18-26 sick days annually
Health/Dental/Optical Plan premiums fully paid by Nassau County
20 Year Non-Contributory 50% Retirement
Tax Deferred Payroll Deducted Savings Plan (457 Deferred Compensation Plan)

It states $108,132 after eight years, but does not mention potential salary increases after that, which does happen because the actual median base according to state reports is $116,000. The 18-26 sick days annually is an absolute joke. The Republican handout machine to the PBA needs to stop.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:00 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,331,828 times
Quote:
It states $108,132 after eight years, but does not mention potential salary increases after that, which does happen because the actual median base according to state reports is $116,000. The 18-26 sick days annually is an absolute joke. The Republican handout machine to the PBA needs to stop.
Unfortunately it's not a joke. And if it is it's certainly not funny.
That's 18-26 sick days on top of vacation, of course. And its also on top of, and get this, a day off every time they make a blood donation
In fact, the more I delve into these crazy giveaways, the more I feel that I need "sick days".
$202,000 for the average cop. Only public awareness and pressure on the politicians can stop this madness.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:10 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I think Nassau is just reflecting a national trend as part of the cycle I mentioned. A friend in Ohio was just saying that Kasich is going after civil servants there, mostly to set a precedent for breaking unions in general. Funny, but my friend mentioned, sarcastically, that it's those cops and teachers living high on the government hog.

It does shine light on another issue, though. Granted, there are people who would love to see all unions broken and done away with. Okay, fine, acknowledge, duly note, move on.

But then there are those who support unions, but not civil service unions. Well, what do they think is going to happen if folks like Kasich and the resident union-haters here in NY, or anywhere, get their way with the civil service unions? The next to go are the unions for everyone else.

American workers are already being treated like garbage because of "what the market dictates." If you look at the Work and Employment subforum here, you'll see tale upon tale of people getting fired for the most ludicrous of reasons, reasons that never would have held water just 5 years ago but are now apparently perfectly fine. The attitude among power-tripping management is that if workers don't cater to their completely unreasonable demands and petty dictums, well, too bad, because there are 100 other slobs behind them who need the money and will.

Sorry, but that's not the road this country needs to travel.

I am not anti-union just against public unions. I actually know some private companies that stolen workers pension, health care and left them with nothing, this is different.
If there were no unions on the federal, state or local level they would still be protected by due process.There was really no need for public unions in the first place and the stories of abuses were much exagerated, they were put in place to increase benefits and salary and they have done a very good job. They have put through legislation and lined the pockets of corrupt legislators, nothing illegal of course but most certainly corrupt and made it virtually impossible to have a fair system.

No one represented the taxpayer until now since they ran out of money, that is what it takes to get taxpayers attention rather than incrementally (just a few dollars) destroying the state and the county. The NCPD are not the sole reason Nassau is bankrupt but they epitomize the problems with public unions.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:14 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
Unfortunately it's not a joke. And if it is it's certainly not funny.
That's 18-26 sick days on top of vacation, of course. And its also on top of, and get this, a day off every time they make a blood donation
In fact, the more I delve into these crazy giveaways, the more I feel that I need "sick days".
$202,000 for the average cop. Only public awareness and pressure on the politicians can stop this madness.
Do you know of one civil service job that pays nothing into their retirement and yet can retire in 20 years at half pay (well maybe a little more than half pay)?

Old 02-14-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I am not anti-union just against public unions. I actually know some private companies that stolen workers pension, health care and left them with nothing, this is different.
If there were no unions on the federal, state or local level they would still be protected by due process.There was really no need for public unions in the first place and the stories of abuses were much exagerated, they were put in place to increase benefits and salary and they have done a very good job. They have put through legislation and lined the pockets of corrupt legislators, nothing illegal of course but most certainly corrupt and made it virtually impossible to have a fair system.

No one represented the taxpayer until now since they ran out of money, that is what it takes to get taxpayers attention rather than incrementally (just a few dollars) destroying the state and the county. The NCPD are not the sole reason Nassau is bankrupt but they epitomize the problems with public unions.
I don't have much of a problem with public-sector unions. In many parts of the country, public sector employees are paid quite poorly (though Long Island certainly isn't one of them), look at Florida for example which pays squat and even more cuts from Governor Medicare Fraud. However, we simply have too much excess here and it needs to be taken under control. Our budget problems are due to many reasons, and we need to address them all if we are going to have anything other than a short term fix.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:34 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
I don't have much of a problem with public-sector unions. In many parts of the country, public sector employees are paid quite poorly (though Long Island certainly isn't one of them), look at Florida for example which pays squat and even more cuts from Governor Medicare Fraud. However, we simply have too much excess here and it needs to be taken under control. Our budget problems are due to many reasons, and we need to address them all if we are going to have anything other than a short term fix.
poor example smash

florida (to include orlando) you can buy a 3500sf house with a swimming pool for less than 200k......400k(2005) (now about 350k) is a STARTER home of 1400sf on long island

so orlando florida is 2-3 time CHEAPER TO LIVE than long island

and as far as oldando cops salaries

Start: $41,978 (after graduation from the Academy)
Top Officer: $67,275

SHIFT DIFFERENTIAL PAY
Day Shift: $133 per month
Evening Shift: $160 per month
Midnight Shift: $191 per month

as far as the vac/sick they a rookie gets 151 hours a year (nearly 4 weeks)
City of Orlando, Florida Police Department - Police Recruiting

so lets look at this based on cost of living, they are about the same..maybe even better than our UNDERPAID cops..at least there a cop can afford to buy a nice house

Old 02-14-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
poor example smash

florida (to include orlando) you can buy a 3500sf house with a swimming pool for less than 200k......400k(2005) (now about 350k) is a STARTER home of 1400sf on long island

so orlando florida is 2-3 time CHEAPER TO LIVE than long island

and as far as oldando cops salaries

Start: $41,978 (after graduation from the Academy)
Top Officer: $67,275

SHIFT DIFFERENTIAL PAY
Day Shift: $133 per month
Evening Shift: $160 per month
Midnight Shift: $191 per month

as far as the vac/sick they a rookie gets 151 hours a year (nearly 4 weeks)
City of Orlando, Florida Police Department - Police Recruiting

so lets look at this based on cost of living, they are about the same..maybe even better than our UNDERPAID cops..at least there a cop can afford to buy a nice house

Oh please. No question its cheaper to live in Orlando than Long Island, but 2-3 times is absolutely insane. Its more to COL than just housing costs. Not to mention the fact that the Florida Real Estate market has imploded much worse than LI so someone who bought a home 5 years ago in FL is in MUCH worse shape than someone who bought a home 5 years ago here.

The idea that cops here are underpaid is ludicrous. Cops in Nassau are the highest paid in the entire country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies