Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 04:06 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,008,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
No. You are not correct. I believe that children need to be disciplined when they are rude and insolent. Now, mind you, MY children would not do this because they would know from the time they were tiny, tiny, children that if they spoke to me disrespectfully they would be punished severely. But just sayin' if I were unfortunate enough to marry someone who had children (shudder), that he would have to understand going into this that I will not be spoken to with disrespect and that I will BEAT THE BEJESUS out of the children involved should this occur.

One of the reason that young people are so rude and disrespectful is that they get away with it. Adults need to correct bad behavior.

20yrsinBranson
Ok, I stand corrected after reading a couple of posts in this thread. I am now not feeling sooooooo bad I have no children, only furbabies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 04:08 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,493,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Well obviously it would have been much harder for her to kill her children if she didn't have a gun.

In fact it may not have occured at all. The girl was in high school and if the woman attacked her some other way she would have atleast had a fighting chance. I think that is what they are getting at.
The Mom could have waited until the daughter was asleep and wacked here with a meat cleaver.

[it's the person who snapped, not the gun]

Old 01-29-2011, 04:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,790,757 times
Quote:
No. You are not correct. I believe that children need to be disciplined when they are rude and insolent. Now, mind you, MY children would not do this because they would know from the time they were tiny, tiny, children that if they spoke to me disrespectfully they would be punished severely. But just sayin' if I were unfortunate enough to marry someone who had children (shudder), that he would have to understand going into this that I will not be spoken to with disrespect and that I will BEAT THE BEJESUS out of the children involved should this occur.

One of the reason that young people are so rude and disrespectful is that they get away with it. Adults need to correct bad behavior.

20yrsinBranson
And you'd hopefully end up in jail for assault.

Speaking of jail, violence towards children often results in the children becoming violent criminals themselves.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Wow, I am sure making use of that ignore function these days.
Good. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to receive that honor really should form a club

Old 01-29-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:

20yrsinBranson
Yep.

I remember talking back to my parents. It usually ended in little reminders of who ran the house...

[ ouch]

Old 01-29-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Interesting. I have three and I agree with her statement.

ALL three were planned, thought out, etc. My oldest son is making a career in The Marine Corps, my oldest daughter is graduating from college in June and my youngest daughter is starting college in Sept.

Like it or not, some people should just not have children and DO feel forced into it. I wish I had a dime for all the times I've heard my friends say, "I wish I never had kids." And they MEAN it.
Wow, I do appreciate your honesty. I've heard this from a couple of women, but I don't think most people would ever own up to it. But to hear you say it this way...wow...

I still think something has to be done about the "gun issue" though.

Obviously, we don't know her history. I'd go so far as to even be in favor of a database where if even one prescription was ever written for any anti-depressant, etc, that person could not buy a gun. Of course, this would leave me out.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
And you'd hopefully end up in jail for assault.

Speaking of jail, violence towards children often results in the children becoming violent criminals themselves.
Sometimes. Maybe.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:16 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,391,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Well obviously it would have been much harder for her to kill her children if she didn't have a gun.

In fact it may not have occured at all. The girl was in high school and if the woman attacked her some other way she would have atleast had a fighting chance. I think that is what they are getting at.
What they're getting at is nonsensical. It's like saying if we had stricter driving laws then a person wouldn't have killed someone when they were DUI. One has nothing to do with the other.

What kind of gun law could we have possibly had that would have prevented this woman from killing her children?

Old 01-29-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Wow, I do appreciate your honesty. I've heard this from a couple of women, but I don't think most people would ever own up to it. But to hear you say it this way...wow...

I still think something has to be done about the "gun issue" though.

Obviously, we don't know her history. I'd go so far as to even be in favor of a database where if even one prescription was ever written for any anti-depressant, etc, that person could not buy a gun. Of course, this would leave me out.
More big government solutions, I see. Actually, in many states it's easier to buy an illegal gun than a legal one.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
What they're getting at is nonsensical. It's like saying if we had stricter driving laws then a person wouldn't have killed someone when they were DUI. One has nothing to do with the other.

What kind of gun law could we have possibly had that would have prevented this woman from killing her children?
Well, let's just suppose (we don't know but one could guess based on the deed) that she has a history of mental issues. If she had ever been written one script, that could be in a database and she could have been denied a gun purchase. That WOULD have made it harder to kill her kids. Not impossible, but harder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies