Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 08:57 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,122,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmad View Post
civil unrest; survivalist and a gun toters wet dream. Sad to see that so many want to see riots.
Um, that was a joke. Geez pull your panties out of your ass crack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 09:02 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
No I'm saying that diet and exercise are a PART of it. Also everyone is DIFFERENT and the smart people with chronic and degenerative diseases will seek out EXPERIENCED Naturopathic Practitioners.

One thing that will probably help a lot and won't hurt would be to start taking Chromium with meals which helps to increase effectiveness of insulin and helps to better utilize glucose.

Again don't take my word for it. Find a decent EXPERIENCED Naturopath with a proven track record helping former diabetics and let them help you.
I'm more interested in the biochemistry here if you wouldn't mind getting into it. I understand (sort of) why diet and exercise helps type II diabetes. Controlling sugar intake will obviously help control blood sugar levels by lowering saturation rates of available insulin (for example). Weight loss via exercise helps because, as I understand it, adipose can stretch cells to the point where insulin receptors become warped (correct me if I'm wrong on this). And of course exercise will burn glucose. I'm pretty well versed on normal glucose metabolism, so we don't have to get into it.

Where I am confused is how diet and exercise, or even Chromium (I don't know anything about that) causes the beta cells in the pancreas to produce insulin. I'm not concerned about taking anyone's word for it, I just want to understand the pathology.

eta: I also read some time ago that coffee helps ward off type II diabetes. That's pretty interesting, tho, I don't understand those mechanisms either.

Here's an article discussing it.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:03 PM

103 posts, read 67,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Um, that was a joke. Geez pull your panties out of your ass crack.
a joke by your or not. I still stand behind what i say. Have you ever read some of the posts in theSelf-Sufficiency and Preparedness board? Those guys cant wait for the day.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
a joke by your or not. I still stand behind what i say. Have you ever read some of the posts in theSelf-Sufficiency and Preparedness board? Those guys cant wait for the day.

We've had riots and looting in the past.
Add the threat of terrorists attacking our cyberstructure..like the grid.

The government is worried. And they want you to prepare to be able to get through 3 days to over a week by yourself.

What if the grid did go down..very plausible given today's threats.
The US has many enemies and FEMA can't show up everywhere at the same time. Heck they can't even show up to one place..Walmart beat them to NO.

Are you prepared ?
Ready.gov: Get A Kit (http://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/index.html - broken link)

Old 01-31-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We've had riots and looting in the past.
Add the threat of terrorists attacking our cyberstructure..like the grid.

The government is worried. And they want you to prepare to be able to get through 3 days to over a week by yourself.

What if the grid did go down..very plausible given today's threats.
The US has many enemies and FEMA can't show up everywhere at the same time. Heck they can't even show up to one place..Walmart beat them to NO.

Are you prepared ?
Ready.gov: Get A Kit (http://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/index.html - broken link)

Nothing but paranoia.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Nothing but paranoia.
I guess until you've been in a disaster aftermath you would think everyone's gone batty.

3-4 days of no electric/phone/water after Hurricane Andrew in S. Florida.
I was prepared..my family was very thankful for that.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I guess until you've been in a disaster aftermath you would think everyone's gone batty.

3-4 days of no electric/phone/water after Hurricane Andrew in S. Florida.
I was prepared..my family was very thankful for that.
I'll give you the natural disasters, but those aching for civil unrest, revolutions, riots; nothing but paranoia.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I'll give you the natural disasters, but those aching for civil unrest, revolutions, riots; nothing but paranoia.
They are not aching for it..they are discussing "what if" scenarios.
Just like we're doing in this thread.

Everyone has their own idea of TSHTF.

What's yours ?

Old 01-31-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
They are not aching for it..they are discussing "what if" scenarios.
Just like we're doing in this thread.

Everyone has their own idea of TSHTF.

What's yours ?
I dont worry about things like that because it wont happen. Many people conjure up the scenarios of TSHTF from movies.

Im sure there are people out there that have built underground bunkers. Are you one of them?
I also picture these people living out in the boonies.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:32 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Bought a new flat screen TV so that I can watch it on the news...

Of course if the nuttier nut cases in the Tea Party actually come to power I might be outside doing some not so civil unresting of my own.
You would then be part of the problem we are preparing for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies