Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:33 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog32 View Post
I believe he is pro-Muslim at the expense of America. I don't care what religion he proclaims to practice. I believe his actions are clear.
I believe you are right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 07:58 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
You're assigning far too much power to Maher's ability to manipulate voters. LOL What's that all about?

Far left liberals are NOT going to vote for a right winger, period. If Obama is the choice, the votes will go to Obama. And people will indeed go out and vote. Nobody needs Bill Maher to "re-make Obama's image." It's a real hoot to see you guys' heads spinning here.
You are entitled to your opinion. As far as I see, it seems to me that Maher has the ability to bring back disenchanted voters into the fold. As '10 proved, libs won't vote for blue dogs. Maher has to make sure those people don't repeat the same mistake. It seems perfectly logical to try as best as he can to make sure these folks don't stop voting Obama in '12. Go to any HuffHo forum and you'll see how Obama's recent budget cuts for Pell grants have them questioning their support.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:12 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
BO does not even attend church a few times a year.
So? Do you agree with the following quote from someone who is riding on the same boat as you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Being Christian is far more than going to church.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:22 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I am surprised to say that I actually agree with the little greaseball on something. I don't believe he's a Christian. I don't necessarily believe him to be muslim. His stated faith sounds like he's a universalist, but I honestly believe he's mostly non-religious.
Me too.

I think he's non-religious. May or may not believe in God, but has to trot out the Christian BS to not drive his opposers *too* crazy. I think that's what Maher was getting at. I watch that show each week and he alluded to such before, just not so out there as he was on Friday night. But I think I agree with him.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:33 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default Bill Maher doesn't believe Obama to be a Christian

And Bill Maher's beliefs about Obama's beliefs have no impact on what Obama believes.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:40 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Me too.

I think he's non-religious. May or may not believe in God, but has to trot out the Christian BS to not drive his opposers *too* crazy. I think that's what Maher was getting at. I watch that show each week and he alluded to such before, just not so out there as he was on Friday night. But I think I agree with him.
That's what politicians do--they need to appeal to people that vote for them. Voters want to feel good about the people they vote for, and want to think they have common values.

There is a religious left demographic that he's appealing to. It's not just about placating the religious right.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:51 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
That's what politicians do--they need to appeal to people that vote for them. Voters want to feel good about the people they vote for, and want to think they have common values.

There is a religious left demographic that he's appealing to. It's not just about placating the religious right.
I agree. It's a bad thing these days to be agnostic or atheist.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:53 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Indeed. And that is exactly the kind of politicians you want, you know the kind that appeals to the overwhelming majority of the country on religious grounds. Remember Thomas Jefferson? He had to deal with a lot of nuisance from the religious zealots back in the day. I guess, the more things change, the more they stay the same?

Old 02-14-2011, 08:55 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Wow. Now if a conservative stated this it would be front page news and all the liberals would be bashing him. This is interesting. The liberals would be calling anyone else a racist and a hater and horrible names. The silence is deafening.
What's racist about suggesting that someone is actually a secular humanist rather than religious?

Old 02-14-2011, 09:06 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
I think Maher was wrong in what he said, because none of us knows what is in the hearts of others. We don't know what Maher believes, except for what he's told us he believes. And Maher doesn't know what Obama believes, except for what Obama has told us. When it comes to religious and spiritual convictions, I think we really have no recourse except to accept the descriptions and explanations people provide about themselves. If someone says they are an atheist, I think we really have no choice but to accept that on it's face, while recognizing that every person's beliefs in this regard are complex, sometimes contradictory, and really aren't suited to pigeonholes.

When Maher says Obama isn't a Christian, I think he's out of line. Obama says he is a Christian, therefore that he believes Jesus Christ was an aspect of God, and is his savior. I don't think Maher has any reason to think these things aren't true. Obama may be a humanist as well, and may prefer to act in the manner of a secular humanist, but that doesn't mean that Obama is not a Christian. Maher may define himself as a secular humanist, but we don't know what spiritual arguments and conclusions have led Maher to describe himself thusly. We can only accept his self-description is as true to himself as he can make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies