Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:47 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Quite imaginative.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 12:49 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Yeah, I still have a job and am graduating with my Ph.D. this year. I should've been a laid off Goodyear union person, then I wouldn't be such a loser.
Yea. Everyone on CD has a great job and a Ph.D.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:51 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The problem is that same union worker has a thug representative that hid all the pink paper.
Or maybe there wasn't any pink paper left after upper management pillaged the company for every nickel they could.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:53 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Yeah, I still have a job and am graduating with my Ph.D. this year. I should've been a laid off Goodyear union person, then I wouldn't be such a loser.
Even in those areas, I'm sure, you will find your way.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:54 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Funniest Union issue/resolution I ever saw.

While stationed in groton ct, used to go to a little mom and pop grocery store. Not a big place, nice veggies/fruits/meats.

At one point, the people in the meat dept banded up and joining the meatpackers union or something like that.. Then they went on strike demanding higher wages.

A week later, they owners sold out to a larger chain, who promptly hired only the workers not on strike. No one else was kept.

LOL LOL LOL

Old 02-15-2011, 12:57 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

I wonder if any of the anti union critics have the skills to be a journeyman in the United Steelworkers Union.
Pshaw.
Quote:

I think the government should place a tariff on any tires made overseas to replace this production as well as fine the management for anti American economic activities.
I can totally get behind this!
Quote:

The management should share the pain of losing the jobs.
MUST SEE video: When is the last time you saw such a CEO? [VIDEO]

Old 02-15-2011, 12:58 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Default Actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Look at the responses from the conservative anti-union crowd in here. These people are actually CHEERLEADING the sight of their fellow Americans holding pink slips and standing in unemployment lines. That's what this country has come to....working class people actually wanting to see fellow working class people lose their jobs. Why? Because God forbid that someone else gets a better deal than what they get at their job.

Name another country in the world where working class people behave this way. Sorry, but the robber barons have successfully pitted the proletariat against each other, and of course, it's been COMPLETELY to the robber barons benefit!

Lemme just ask, what do you get personally from seeing a union guy lose his job, home, car, source of tuition for his kid, etc? What's in it for you?

All i can say is that these attitudes are astounding to say the least. These posters (who i won't name) are the lowest of the low. Unpatriotic, un-American, anti-worker, anti-everything that is good for America, etc, etc. They won't be happy until all of us work for Walmart, Home Depot, or K-Mart. That's their vision of America. SMH...sad.
I don't see them cheering so much as saying, "I told you so".

Unions used to be a good thing, till they started to use their collective bargaining ability to strongarm employers into job/benefit packages that keep companies from either being profitable, or from being able to compete in the global marketplace.

I literally watched a group of people join a union, and attempt to strongarm the owners into a wage package that they could not afford. And yess, when all was said and done, I laughed and cheered when this group of people lost their jobs.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea. Everyone on CD has a great job and a Ph.D.
Actually, I'm likely going to make less than my fiancee's friend who's a salesperson. One shouldn't brag about getting a Ph. D., considering how much time and money is required to go through the program, living on a pauper's budget and unable to effectively save for retirement.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:03 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
". . . the market has moved beyond what the factory is able to build."

Old 02-15-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Even in those areas, I'm sure, you will find your way.
Maybe if I majored in Psychology or History, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies