Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:04 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I think we should............present them with a bill for; saving kuwait from iraq, defeating al qaeda in bagdad, and getting rid of good ol' saddam.
News travels slow to Arkansas. You might have missed the part about us killing a million people, and forcing three or four million to flee for their lives.

Now they are surrounded by lovely blast walls and American contractors. God Bless America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 10:04 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Kuwait. Just finishing up what we started. But that will not be good enough for you so dont even reply. And no I don't give a crap what Bush II said the reasons were.
Kuwait? SMH...I'm asking you why should the Iraqi's be grateful? And your answer is "Kuwait...just finishing up what we started?"

What the hell are you taking about?

Old 02-17-2011, 10:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Instead of we paying them we should simply take all the remaining oil as US government property and sell it. We need to do this outside of the normal oil marketing channels so we, not OPEC, makes the profit. If we are not going to LOOT a place why bother attacking?

Old 02-17-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Its OK people like myself from my side will defend people like you and your side just like we have always done through out history.
Don't defend me. Ever.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:15 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why should they be grateful? They didn't ask for an invasion.

That is, unless you can show me where they did.
Did you forget about this part of your post? Yes they did ask for the invasion. "KUWAIT" Just finishing what they started. How hard is that for you to understand. I dont care whether they are grateful or not.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:38 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Did you forget about this part of your post? Yes they did ask for the invasion. "KUWAIT" Just finishing what they started. How hard is that for you to understand. I dont care whether they are grateful or not.
Dude, we're talking about Iraq here. Did Iraq ask to be invaded? I'm talking about in 2003. There is no way in hell that you can tell me that we invaded in 2003 because we were finishing up what we started back in Desert Storm. That's ridiculous on it's face.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:42 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,756,591 times
How bout we send them a bill for all the tens of billions of dollars we spent on improving services in the country and then we can take the $1 billion off the total? Seems fair to me

Old 02-17-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
How bout we send them a bill for all the tens of billions of dollars we spent on improving services in the country and then we can take the $1 billion off the total? Seems fair to me
How about they send us the bill for the cost of coffins, I'm sure something fair could be worked out. Or not.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:01 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,756,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
How about they send us the bill for the cost of coffins, I'm sure something fair could be worked out. Or not.
I was not a supporter of the Iraq war and I wish it had never happened. The Iraqi citizens have suffered like few people in modern times, I dont disagree with that. But to bill us for damage while we were trying to "improve" their situation is very tactless.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:06 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,367,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
Isn't it Mike Huckabee, a conservative favorite, who kept saying during the primaries "You break it, you bought it" in reference to Iraq?

I'd say it applies in this case.

And I doubt it looks like democracy and freedom in the rubble of Baghdad steets but I don't suppose empathy is one of your strength.
It is not like we have done nothing, according to this article we have spent 50 billion in infrastructure in some of it was wasted :
Quote:
As the U.S. draws down in Iraq, it is leaving behind hundreds of abandoned or incomplete projects. More than $5 billion in American taxpayer funds has been wasted — more than 10 percent of the some $50 billion the U.S. has spent on reconstruction in Iraq, according to audits from a U.S. watchdog agency.
That amount is likely an underestimate, based on an analysis of more than 300 reports by auditors with the special inspector general for Iraq reconstruction. And it does not take into account security costs, which have run almost 17 percent for some projects.
U.S. wasted billions in rebuilding Iraq - World news - Mideast/N. Africa - Conflict in Iraq - msnbc.com
My other point was is that they do have revenue :
Quote:
After a few delays Iraq’s parliament passed its 2010 budget on January 26, 2010. It’s for $72.4 billion, a substantial increase over the previous $58.6 billion one. It is also the largest amount authorized since Iraq got its sovereignty back in 2005. As usual, around 70% of the spending will be on operational costs, which go towards salaries, pensions, the food ration system, etc., while 30% will be for investing in infrastructure, development projects, and the like in the capital budget.
Musings On Iraq: 2010 Iraq Budget Passed
Lets see they have 21 billion plus for infrastructure and the gvt only needs to borrow 19 billion to cover their deficit. Sounds like they are in better fiscal shape then we are. I say they are in good enough shape to do some lifting let them fix Baghdad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies