Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 01:23 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I take deep, deep offense to your charges against me. I am one of the strongest advocates of women's rights and equality and you are just WAY out of line.

Please go back to the first page of this thread and provide evidence of my EVER claiming that women are to blame for sexual assault against them. In fact, I'll pull my own quotes to prove that I have repeatedly stated the opposite:

I really don't know how much clearer I can be.
Perhaps you could quit using selected excerpts from your posts; that would be a good start.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:54 PM

545 posts, read 1,556,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
It is certainly wise for women to take steps to minimize the chances of being attacked, just as it is for men. That's a bit different from being responsible for the attack if it occurs.
How is it different? You're responsible to take the steps required to reduce the risk.

That's what I mean by responsibility.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:23 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
How is it different? You're responsible to take the steps required to reduce the risk.

That's what I mean by responsibility.
A woman can take no steps at all, she can walk down the street drunk and half dressed, she is still not responsible for being raped, no more than a man driving a 100K car is responsible for being car jacked. The people who commit the crimes are the ones responsible, period.

Last edited by detshen; 02-19-2011 at 03:46 PM..

Old 02-19-2011, 03:37 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
So you’re saying that rape is natural? Really.

Again, blaming the victim.

If a person can’t control himself and his urges, they shouldn’t be allowed in public.
This may be one of the sickest comments I have read on CD.
It’s okay to rape because you have urges. Really. Go to a prostitute.

Well said, and yes i agree with you!

Old 02-19-2011, 03:39 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
This topic has obviously touched a nerve. I, personally, never said women shouldn't be free to wear whatever they want or that one gender is more likely to be attacked than another. I also stated several times that no one is responsible for any violent crime committed against them. Here's what I said and perhaps you can explain to me why this is incorrect.

A woman posted on this thread the following suggestions that RAINN, a trusted anti-rape organization, makes to help people avoid being victims of sexual assault (though applicable to any crime):

Your argument about religion and freedom falls flat on me since you're not also making the argument that people have the freedom to carry a lot of packages or meander aimlessly in a potentially dangerous area or walk without their cell phone. Of course they do, but RAINN suggests there are actions one could take to reduce risk of being a target. It has far less to do with sexuality or freedom than the practicality of being able to enact several of RAINN's suggestions and of not standing out as a vulnerable target (one can't walk with purpose if she's hobbling on heals in a mini-skirt after a big shopping spree).

If a man were to skip through a dangerous area in a bright pink suit with a bow-tie singing Zippidee-Doo-Da in the middle of the night, that man would be a much higher potential target than someone moving quickly in a hooded sweatshirt.

Perhaps it's because I live in a major city and know women who have been followed because some creep was sexually attracted to them, but this all just seems more like common sense measures for safety than some indictment of freedom. Certainly wasn't my intention. I have many close female friends and I'd like them to be safe.
Actually I think he would be completely left alone as someone doing that is definitely not seen as being in their right mind

I get that that was not your intention. Really, I do. I just think in no way can a woman dress in a less provocative way to protect herself. If they're going to rape, their dress has nothing to do with it.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:50 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Has nothing what so ever to do with the way the women dresses, a rapist doesn't give a hoot, what the women looks like, it is not a act of sex. And i do have many policeman as very good friends, i know the situtation when someone is raped, and what decent police officers feel about it, some would like to beat the s--- out of the man accused.

A lot of you are right, it has more with the choices that the women makes, who needs to jog alone on a deserted road, at midnight, but ladies do it. Don't need to take a short-cut thru a ally, but women do it, it is more of the wrong choice that women makes, and being in the wrong place at the very wrong time. Nothing what so ever with the way a women is dressed, so don't dare pin this on a women, because your manly hood cannot control your ill feelings, comes back to you the Man, not the women, no excuses made for Rape period. It is a forced act of Power and Control. And for the Women who do this to young boys, this is also not right. A women can be doing everything right to not be raped, she can be very responsible, but the rapist does not care if she is responsible or not, i knew someone very responsbile who was brutally raped, and lo and behold guess what, she knew the perpertrator very well.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:52 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Yes, we must tell all those children who are molested each year to stop acting so sexy too. And as for that mentally retarded woman who was raped by male caregivers, she was probably wearing one of those sexy hospital gowns.

My responsibility to not be raped is to stay home and wear a burqa if I leave the house? Hmm...what country is this?

Old 02-19-2011, 03:58 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Actually I think he would be completely left alone as someone doing that is definitely not seen as being in their right mind

I get that that was not your intention. Really, I do. I just think in no way can a woman dress in a less provocative way to protect herself. If they're going to rape, their dress has nothing to do with it.
Yes, because as many have stated rape is not about an uncontrolled sex drive, it's about power and inflicting pain and humiliation on a woman. A rapist will attack whoever he can, what she wears doesn't matter, it's usually just really unfortunate luck, wrong place, wrong time, as are most crimes.

If I were a man I would be insulted at the idea that men are these uncontrolled beasts who could be drawn to rape at the sight of cleavage or a woman's legs. Men can control their sex drive, most men could never be rapists, it disgusts them. Even sex addicts don't rape, (if they do, it's a separate pathology,) they might go to prostitutes to fill their needs, but they don't rape. Why? Because rape is not about sex! It's a sick pathology about power and control, why is that so hard to understand?

Old 02-19-2011, 04:03 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Perhaps you could quit using selected excerpts from your posts; that would be a good start.
Enlighten me and stop berating me by trying to turn a man against women's rights. My claim all along has been that being dressed to avoid and evade a potential attacker (be it to steal money, rape, kill, whatever) requires one to be able to walk quickly, run, and blend in if necessary. I never even addressed the issue of whether it's primarily a sexual or power drive, except to say that it's primarily a power issue. Though, women in their sexual prime, college age, are 4 times more likely to be raped, according to RAINN (Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network). So I'm skeptical of assertions that rape has nothing to do with sexual appeal. I'd have to see more research.

So, tell me where I ever strayed from that point or how that point of taking common sense approaches to safety could possibly be inaccurate.

Last edited by Bluefly; 02-19-2011 at 04:19 PM..

Old 02-19-2011, 04:11 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
OP's title " Women's Responsibility for Rape " just screams out It caught my attention. Does OP think * any * woman ever deserves to be raped ?

Title should have been " How can women better protect themselves from attack ? "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies