Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should religious organizations lose their tax exempt status?
Yes 47 68.12%
No 20 28.99%
Not Sure 2 2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:34 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times

Advertisements

I voted no, because there wasn't a qualifying option to include commercial or other property owned by the churches besides their sanctuaries and schools.

Under no circumstances should the latter two be taxed. Can you imagine the catastrophe it would cause public schools if parochial schools had to close because of the added expense of taxation? When the majority of those parochial students would suddenly be dumped on public schools?

Just remember, the parents of those children are paying local public school taxes, yet choose not to avail themselves of sending their kids to government schools. So the public schools are getting a big freebie in many cases. Some districts might be a LOT worse off, others maybe not as much - depends on how strong the local parochial systems are. I know it would be a disaster for places like St.Louis, Missouri & the State of Louisiana.

However, many churches own commercial properties...and those should be taxed like any other private business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 09:38 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,776 times
I voted yes becuase I've seen the obscene 'collections' the US mega chruches bring in by some guy in a frock shouting and gesticulating wildly. Normal worship is private and subdued.

But in the US religion IS a full fledged business with no other thought behind it but to make money on the gullible 'flock'. Tax them up the wazoo.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:41 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,538 times
Unequivocally YES!

If churches were held accountable for every single untaxed dollar they spent, I bet they'd all become much better practitioners of what they preach.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:56 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
this poll is telling.. time to slap em with a tax bill!
I had a mormon employee once ALWAYS complaining about needing, wanting a raise..
I told him to quit being mormon and he'd get a 10 percent raise..
He didn't like that.. and never asked me again.
They give 10 percent of everything to their church..and have it set up to be automatically deducted from their payslip before they get their check.. it's insane
We manage to do well despite giving 1/10 of money. It's voluntary, so it shouldn't be seen as a punishment. We believe that we get more by giving tithing, and I believe that we do get blessed. On the subject of the original question, I definitely support taxing business interests of church, which already happens. I don't like the idea of taxing other parts that go to humanitarian purposes or other good things. A lot of these things are what the government would spend the money on anyway, so it cuts out the middle man. I know Mormons don't pay our leaders, so we spend more on useful things.

PS. Since the Mormon church did spend money for proposition 8, I can understand them paying for that, so there are no problems with politics.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:04 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
We manage to do well despite giving 1/10 of money. It's voluntary, so it shouldn't be seen as a punishment. We believe that we get more by giving tithing, and I believe that we do get blessed. On the subject of the original question, I definitely support taxing business interests of church, which already happens. I don't like the idea of taxing other parts that go to humanitarian purposes or other good things. A lot of these things are what the government would spend the money on anyway, so it cuts out the middle man. I know Mormons don't pay our leaders, so we spend more on useful things.

PS. Since the Mormon church did spend money for proposition 8, I can understand them paying for that, so there are no problems with politics.
The money your church gets comes from tithing of it's members, so the money going towards political agenda's of your church comes from tithing.
I agree, that humanitarian efforts should be tax free, but if you're meddling in the affairs of politics, and building 2 billion dollar shopping centers in Salt Lake City.. you better believe the initial income stream of tithing is what fuels it all and should be taxed. YOU giving tithing to your church is no longer the same as you giving it to a soup kitchen.. when only a percentage of what you tithe is going to actually humanitarian efforts. You and I pay income tax, and then pay tax again when we spend it in sales tax..
Your tithing is their income stream.. it should be taxed

Old 02-19-2011, 10:06 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,014,802 times
If churches were to lose their tax-exempt status, there would be a lot more conservative Democrat politicians. Tax them, then their pocketbooks would be wide open to make political contributions.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
If churches were to lose their tax-exempt status, there would be a lot more conservative Democrat politicians. Tax them, then their pocketbooks would be wide open to make political contributions.
They already do... Prop 8..

Old 02-19-2011, 10:14 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,484 times
Quote:
The money your church gets comes from tithing of it's members, so the money going towards political agenda's of your church comes from tithing.
I agree, that humanitarian efforts should be tax free, but if you're meddling in the affairs of politics, and building 2 billion dollar shopping centers in Salt Lake City.. you better believe the initial income stream of tithing is what fuels it all and should be taxed. YOU giving tithing to your church is no longer the same as you giving it to a soup kitchen.. when only a percentage of what you tithe is going to actually humanitarian efforts. You and I pay income tax, and then pay tax again when we spend it in sales tax..
Isn't that what I said?

Business/politics= TAX
Humanitarian= NO TAX

Old 02-19-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
Isn't that what I said?

Business/politics= TAX
Humanitarian= NO TAX
I wasn't sure, because the church has a "business arm" to it, and they claimed that no money from tithing went towards City Creek development, and that no tithing money went towards prop 8.. which of course are lies.. whether the money came from investment, the initial income of it all started and continues with tithing..

Some mormons state that there's a difference between the church's business that already pays taxes and it's church/humanitarian efforts so therefore the tithing they pay shouldn't be taxed..because somehow it's separate.
But it's not.. I just wasn't sure where u stood on that

tithing goes to both.. and because it isn't just humanitarian it should be taxed
Most mormons I speak with say that because the church SAYS all tithing goes to humanitarian efforts it should not be taxed..

Old 02-19-2011, 10:28 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
So all religious organizations should lose their tax-exempt status? Or just the ones you personally dislike?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies