Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 05:21 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
So................should I take this as you are being intentionally misleading?

You know, since you didn't actually address what I said and just tried to change the subject.
You should take my last post as a response to YOUR PERSONAL ATTACKS. If you cannot discuss issues without making your responses personal, I have nothing to say to you. Think whatever you want. But don't call me "ignorant" and don't call my post a "piece of crap" and expect a response from me!

Take my original post at face value. That is exactly what I meant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 07:22 PM

709 posts, read 656,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
You should take my last post as a response to YOUR PERSONAL ATTACKS. If you cannot discuss issues without making your responses personal, I have nothing to say to you. Think whatever you want. But don't call me "ignorant" and don't call my post a "piece of crap" and expect a response from me!

Take my original post at face value. That is exactly what I meant.
Ignorance isn't the same as calling you stupid. You realize that, right?

As for the piece of crap, that would be the lie that the state of WI had a budget surplus. That was refuted, TWICE, in this thread, and you still repeated it.

So, are you intentionally lying, or ignorant of the truth?

Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
WI a prime example of a state where people were sucked into supporting the GOP, victims of the GOP deceptive marketing. It's quite a shame, but it is a precursor to the GOP being devastated come 2012.

After all, the GOP represents an ideology that is shamefully ineffective, outdated, and destructive to all but the most privileged among us.
I can't believe the Republicans would actually be willing to pull this gambit. That's what it is, a huge gambit. If this fails and rallies the support of working class people in Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, and Ohio to unite against the Republican Party there is no way the Republican have any hope of getting the White House in 2012 and maybe beyond. All these states have deep union related working histories and cultures.

The reason blue collar people unionized on the first place is they felt that people with political power and money had not respect for them and used their money and power to push them around.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:30 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I can't believe the Republicans would actually be willing to pull this gambit. That's what it is, a huge gambit. If this fails and rallies the support of working class people in Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, and Ohio to unite against the Republican Party there is no way the Republican have any hope of getting the White House in 2012 and maybe beyond. All these states have deep union related working histories and cultures.

The reason blue collar people unionized on the first place is they felt that people with political power and money had not respect for them and used their money and power to push them around.
And they sure did didn't they!!!!
And they sure would again if they got the chance, Wouldn't they????

Old 02-22-2011, 09:10 PM

1,123 posts, read 776,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
In a recession, giving business a break is a logical way to spur economic growth. Taxing them more, just shifts the tax to the customer - or the business goes out of business. . . Which reduces tax revenues even more, and boosts unemployment.

But curtailing the escalating costs of the public employees IS vital to meeting the budget.

It's curious that when the UNIONS get their own way, by collective extortion, it's "democracy".
When they are challenged, they strike out, denouncing their opponent with any insult possible.
Then they mislabel the privilege of collective bargaining as a "right". Then protest that the government that granted the privilege has no power to take it back.
And they have no compunctions in violating the terms of their existing contract, and state law, by taking off work to protest... and readily accept fraudulent medical excuses to further defraud their employers.

If this is their idea of "values" that they wish to teach to children, perhaps Wisconsin needs to hire new teachers after all.
Wonderful post, and crushingly true.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Your point is well taken and I agree. However, I hate to keep beating this to death. WHO allowed the unions to do what they have done? YOU (the general public) did. The people elected left wing, LIBERAL politician's, who wanted to give away the house; they did what the people elected them to do now. Now, all of a sudden, its an issue.
You are sadly correct, it is mine and every other taxpayer's fault for not compelling our elected officials to stand up to the special interests such as the public union lobbies and protecting the well-being of the state as a whole.

Quote:
And, like it or not, if there was no issue with budgets, no one would be saying a word. You would be passing even more raises and giving more benefits. However, since YOU are forced to cut and someone else isn't, hell breaks loose.
Again correct, the falling back of the tides, i.e, the recession, has exposed the structural failings of the government's budgeting in relation to the public union workers. It was only a matter of time, as the pure tax rates could not continue to rise indefinitely.

Last edited by sterpetron; 02-22-2011 at 09:25 PM..

Old 02-22-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
It would just be great to restore the sovereignity to the people as you put it. LOL. The sovereignity to work for starvation wages, the sovereignity to be segragated and oppressed, to work in death traps. And the other side of the same coin the power to amass obscene profits and power by hook or by crook on the backs of all the rest of the country. People like you don't seem to have even half a clue about the real history of the USA where every iota of dignity and respect that the working man has was paid for by death and destitution for those who fought for freedom in your own country.
Was there a violin section playing in the background when you typed this sophistic nonsense?

I cannot speak for anyone else, but it is getting extremely boring to have to repeat this point over and over; it is the PUBLIC unions that are unacceptable, NOT private sector ones.

Most people in the center like me have little or no issue with private sector unions, we DO have a HUGE problem with public sector ones.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Basically the same olde ;they ae for destroying SS;they are aginst the poor;they are for slavery ect;etc;etc. Instead what we see is the democrats who frankly can 't govern because they have so mnay speical interest groups with one aim.taxpayer funded money. Can't even make it withi the private sector. They rob the nations welath ;instead of building wealth of their own.SWo lease enough with they will take the bread out of your children mouthslthat is already done for the next deacdes by Obama and even our grand children to feed the greedy democratic speciall interest. No one is really fooled. We need wealth creators; not bottom feeder of others wealth.It has gooten to the point that they even cpend on the chiense vradit card since they broke the US bank.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Some people just don't get it...the country - outside of the public employee union members - understands that if the republican efforts to bring spending in alignment with revenues fails, we will completely go off the rails entirely, i.e., civil war/anarchy.

The country's deficit at the federal level is ONE POINT FIVE TRILLION DOLLARS.

That is not sustainable, and will destroy the nation in the next 20 years or so if it is not brought under control. Do you understand the stakes here?

The current spending levels to support a select, elite group of people, the public union employees, can no longer be maintained, which is why, despite a few thousand radicals appearing at a few rallies trying to protect their priviliged status, have little or no support from the vast majority of the public. Certainly not from the right, and minimally from the center, if at all.

As a centrist I can say this, now that the public union employees have lost people like me, they are totally doomed, the game is over...

Old 02-22-2011, 11:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I don't have to "monger" fear--I am feeling it...

I would like to spread moderation, respect, caution, and perspective but I don't anticipate they would stick in the minds of those I feel most in need...
Too bad you didn't have any fear when Clinton signed away the jobs of the American people.

Everyone else must tighten their belts and face the new economy. Why do you think teachers should be immune?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies