Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 03:34 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
As a group, African Americans are still struggling for their slice of the economic pie. As an African American, do you think that the great recession, will affect your ability to be upwardly mobile, and be successful in the career of your choice?
I feel that as a group middle and lower class Americans will be affected by the recession, so I guess in that regard I would say yes.
Do I think that being black will hurt me? No, of course not. If I believed that being black put me at an automatic disadvantage I wouldn't have achieved half of the things that I've achieved.

Besides I come from a long line of people who believed in making something out of nothing so I'll be successful by my own parameters no matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 03:34 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
I really think that what needs to happen is for "people" to stop with the selfish special interest obsessions and recognize that a high tide raises all boats, economic depression recognizes no skin color, and obsession with "me" results in resentment from the rest.

We need to stop falling for this division .... and recognize that there is no such thing as an African-American .... just Americans who need to join together in the pursuit of liberty and prosperity, and fight those who are stealing both for their own selfish gains.
While a rising tide lifts all boats it has often been said when America catches a cold "Black people catch pneumonia". Black Americans are disproportionally affected by recessions and economic downturns.

It's easily to sit there and say that economic depression recognizes no skin color if you are oblivious to the history of this country and how economic downturns have affected Black Americans.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:52 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,226,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billseed View Post
so nobody else can answer? take your racist bigoted self elsewhere then.
Don't start-up with accusations of bigotry. This thread happens to be addressed to African Americans, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Don't start-up with accusations of bigotry. This thread happens to be addressed to African Americans, and there's nothing wrong with that.
You're not allowed to start threads addressed to black people unless it's something like "why won't you stop having babies and get jobs" otherwise it's a violation of some sort of unspoken rule

Old 02-21-2011, 06:17 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
As a group, African Americans are still struggling for their slice of the economic pie. As an African American, do you think that the great recession, will affect your ability to be upwardly mobile, and be successful in the career of your choice?

No. I have always held the believe that making money and living a great life is possible in both good and bad economic times. Someone will always make money....and it may as well be me .

Old 02-21-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
show me a thread that is only addressed to white people.........i will wait.
As you wish
White People, what did your parents tell you about the color of your skin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpin Girl View Post
On CNN last night they did the baby doll test on white kids. The white kids failed miserably. The "experts" on the panel said part of the problem is that race is rarely discussed in white households. My experience as a white, absolutely true. White people almost never think about the color of their skin. Race is completely unimportant to white people. The only time I ever think about being white is when am around a black person, who I automatically assume hates me for the color of my skin. (a bit of an exaggeration) 95% of my education on racism came from the Tony Brown Show, Oprah, and PBS programs on the topic. What were your childhood experiences with race?
Here's another just in case you don't like the first one
White Folks: Would you support a law that allows police to detain you at will for proof of your legal status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Would you support a law that allows police to detain you at will for proof of your legal status in an effort to help better apprehend white criminals?
And a third in case you haven't gotten the point yet:
As a white person, do you trust the police?
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I was listening to a verse "If you're white you can trust the police".

Are there any whites who really trust the police with their work?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:38 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,940,191 times
Quote:
show me a thread that is only addressed to white people.........i will wait.
Virtually every thread which involves a question about African-Americans devolves into a bunch of posters who are not African-American shouting about how lazy blacks are, how welfare-dependent blacks are, or how stupid and subservient blacks are for their tendency to vote Democrat since the 60s.

Posters who liken modern blacks to slaves and shoeshines for their voting habits, or people like you who jump to exclaim that blacks are the real racists rarely have much of value to contribute to the conversation provoked by the OP, but obviously your posts in this thread won't be deleted unless a mod decides to do so, so clearly your voice will not be silenced.

Of course, nobody has to take your posts seriously, and coming in here screaming about racists is not liable to help your case. Ultimately, if the thread really offends you, you can do what I need to start doing with posts like yours: stop reading.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:12 PM

293 posts, read 570,654 times
I think that the key to it all is that we as African Americans have to start opening our own businesses and doing everything that we can to stay ahead of the "tide." My wife and I figured this out a while ago and have been able to keep things going, even in these hard times. I have a lot of attorney friends who are out of work now because of firms downsizing. I am sure this is in every sector of America for the most part.

I just "ignore" the posts on here from people who think that everything is the same for all Americans. It is not, period. I remember when I was in law school I had people in my classes who already knew a lot of the material we were going over. And they knew it from a "practical" standpoint, not by some opinion in a casebook. How did they know this? Because their mothers and fathers and uncles and aunts, etc...practiced as lawyers! I was the first in my immediate family to go to law school so there was no talk at the dinner table about UCC filings and what a Fee Simple Absolute was. But did I let it stop me? No, but I darn sure had to work twice as hard to make sure I was not on the bottom of the curve. A lot of white Americans "deny" the existence of "advantage," but most of us as African Americans know better.

Last edited by Mike Jones 1999; 02-21-2011 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: word usage

Old 02-21-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
thank you......now to my point about the topic of this thread. how are black people affected any more than white people or anyone else right now by the economy? they are not.
That is your opinion but thank you for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones 1999 View Post
I think that the key to it all is that we as African Americans have to start opening our own businesses and doing everything that we can to stay ahead of the "tide." My wife and I figured this out a while ago and have been able to keep things going, even in these hard times. I have a lot of attorney friends who are out of work now because of firms downsizing. I am sure this is in every sector of America for the most part.
Exactly. Working for yourself is surely the best way to get ahead.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:36 PM

15,093 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Don't care about "resentment from the rest," namely...YOU! That's who you're primarily talking about anway. Just like i'm sure that you don't care about resentment from blacks.

And the division already exists, and we didn't invent it. There is a such thing as an African-American. I'm one, so i should know.
Yes, you are re-inventing it every minute and every hour and every day that you set yourself above, in front, or ahead of others based on your race. That you disguise it using some justification of past wrongs committed before you were born, changes nothing.

From my point of view, I don't care what color your skin is ... what god you worship, or where your family tree can be traced. I look at people from the standpoint of what they offer in character and intentions. And you make yours just as clear as any other racist.

As an American, you are "entitled" to nothing less and nothing more than any other American .... that you insist upon identifying yourself as a "Hyphenated American" doesn't entitle you to special consideration. It just identifies you as one who believes they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies