Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:16 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,139,099 times

Advertisements

Media Matters' war against Fox - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com

Quote:
The liberal group Media Matters has quietly transformed itself in preparation for what its founder, David Brock, described in an interview as an all-out campaign of “guerrilla warfare and sabotage” aimed at the Fox News Channel.
The group, launched as a more traditional media critic, has all but abandoned its monitoring of newspapers and other television networks and is narrowing its focus to Fox and a handful of conservative websites, which its leaders view as political organizations and the “nerve center” of the conservative movement. The shift reflects the centrality of the cable channel to the contemporary conservative movement, as well as the loathing it inspires among liberals — not least among the donors who fund Media Matters’ staff of about 90, who are arrayed in neat rows in a giant war room above Massachusetts Avenue.
[LEFT] “The strategy that we had had toward Fox was basically a strategy of containment,” said Brock, Media Matters’ chairman and founder and a former conservative journalist, adding that the group’s main aim had been to challenge the factual claims of the channel and to attempt to prevent them from reaching the mainstream media.
The new strategy, he said, is a “war on Fox.”
[/LEFT]

Media Matters Finally Fesses Up | The Right Sphere

Quote:
It is not about correcting misinformation to MMFA anymore. Their goal now is a “War on Fox News,” not as they see it as a media organization. Instead, they are treating it as a wing of the Republican Party. The cutesy-sounding mission of Media Matters to “correct conservative misinformation” is no longer even remotely appropriate. No, MMFA is a political group with $10 million-plus in annual funding designed to wage war against Fox News, and in their eyes the GOP and conservatives as a whole.
Because of this, Media Matters should reconsider their 501(c)(3) status which is designated for religious, charitable, scientific, literary, or educational purposes. MMFA no longer meets any of these qualifiers (it’s arguable they never did) and under the banner of waging a war against Fox News and the GOP puts them in an entirely different zip code.

I think this should be open and shut. They basically admit to their purpose which should prevent them from their 501(c)(3) status. Part of this status says:
"Section 501(c)(3) organizations are subject to limits or absolute prohibitions on engaging in political activities."

Im willing to be "waging war" on a particular group whom they claim is part of certain political party, would be against the rules.

So, how exactly is a complain filed? I think its time to get this info to the IRS and take care of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 10:19 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
["Section 501(c)(3) organizations are subject to limits or absolute prohibitions on engaging in political activities."Im willing to be "waging war" on a particular group whom they claim is part of certain political party, would be against the rules.

So, how exactly is a complain filed? I think its time to get this info to the IRS and take care of this.

We should apply the same rules to churches and religious groups.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:20 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
How do you think Media Matters was able to get 501(c)(3) status??? Liberal politicians...

Old 03-26-2011, 10:20 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,284,533 times
Are they non profit? The DNC is legally biased and they have their status secured.
Is having a bias in this case a reason to lose status?

Old 03-26-2011, 10:21 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
We should apply the same rules to churchesw and religious groups.
Ha... I think we should apply it to EVERY organization... fair is fair...

Old 03-26-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Are they non profit? The DNC is legally biased and they have their status secured.
Is having a bias in this case a reason to lose status?

The thing is, I dont think "sabotage" and "war" is part of the allowed criteria. I dont think the DNC has proclaimed to "sabotage" anything. MM has outright said what their mission is.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:24 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Ha... I think we should apply it to EVERY organization... fair is fair...
No, I'd keep tax-free status intact for churches/religious groups that forego politics.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:33 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,335,521 times
IMO you can see Media Matters onslaught against FOX right here on C-D every day. I used to wonder why so many people who obviously hated FOX would watch it so constantly then post their every little thought about the network. Now it's obvious that Media Matters has their ringers and shills out beating the drums against FOX everywhere. Just check out the Comments columns on a variety of blogs or websites and you can see the same daily theme being echoed by MM's minions.

I do believe they are making FOX a bigger player and more powerful than ever.

Last edited by Dockside; 03-26-2011 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-26-2011, 10:33 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,815,163 times
Media matters makes no doubt what their intentions are, unlike fox which should drop the "news" from their name as they are not news.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Media matters makes no doubt what their intentions are
Well then, I think we are all on agreement then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies