Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:22 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Yes, but is your belief based in any kind of fact?

The facts are:

There were numerous red flags that were ignored.

The government will never admit why they were ignored

What's your opinion of the facts? You have already seen mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
They are cut from the same cloth. In a less civilized country, they would act just as the Muslim terrorists do.

Interesting.....is that based on any facts?

Would you consider the UK, where the incident in the OP occured, to be a less civilized society?

Old 02-22-2011, 08:25 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
The facts are:

There were numerous red flags that were ignored.

The government will never admit why they were ignored

What's your opinion of the facts? You have already seen mine.
That doesn't necessarily support your assertion.

My opinion is that it was not PCness, but just plain old negligence. For all the PCness that might have been involved, I expect it was tempered by prejudice.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 AM

256 posts, read 216,371 times
Quote:
I didn't know that "muslim" was a racial demographic. If I didn't know better I might just think that you are trying to imply that I'm a racist or bigot. However, fortunately I "obviously" do know better.

That's another reason to not debate with certain people. They tend to shout racist or bigot any time someone engages with them.
Why not just answer the question? Throw any term in the parentheses you want. Does it make any difference why someone gets beat up or who does the beating? Muslims have their reason, some other group has their reason.

Why this continual deflection of the issue?

Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Interesting.....is that based on any facts?
They think the same way.

No matter what their specific belief set is, there is a manner of thinking that is particular to extremists. Among it's traits are:

Religious zealotry
Binary thinking (black and white)
Widespread ignorance
Fear of the Other

Etc. I could go on, but these are some traits shared by extremists.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg So View Post
Why not just answer the question? Throw any term in the parentheses you want. Does it make any difference why someone gets beat up or who does the beating? Muslims have their reason, some other group has their reason.

Why this continual deflection of the issue?
It certainly does make a difference when one group is doing the beating with regularity and the victims are innocent people.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
That doesn't necessarily support your assertion.

My opinion is that it was not PCness, but just plain old negligence. For all the PCness that might have been involved, I expect it was tempered by prejudice.

It doesn't refute it either. As I said, there will never be full disclosure from the government so there isn't much to debate here.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
It doesn't refute it either. As I said, there will never be full disclosure from the government so there isn't much to debate here.
No, actually I would have to admit that it may have been involved.

But mainly I just see the Army trying to make a difficult person just go away, passing the buck, etc. As you said, the red flags were everywhere.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:59 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Quote:
And one could argue that fanaticism is fanaticism, and it may express itself differently in different contexts.
Quote:
They think the same way.

No matter what their specific belief set is, there is a manner of thinking that is particular to extremists. Among it's traits are:

Religious zealotry
Widespread ignorance
Fear of the Other

Yep, baseball fans buy shirts with team colors and slogans, and talk loud.

Muslims, cut off noses, hands, ears, stone people to death, fly planes into buildings, blow up themselves and others.

Same thing. Just a different level of extremism.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
They think the same way.

Religious zealotry
Widespread ignorance
Fear of the Other

I like the way you edited the post that you quoted. What's the matter? Why can't you answer that question? Why the deflection?
I also love they way that you assumed that I wasn't intelligent enough to understand what binary thinking is. Thank you for giving me the remedial version. They think the same way? Your reply is very weak. You edit the post because you don't want to answer the question and then you show that this is your opinion and is not based on facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies