Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,389,835 times

Advertisements

This is from the Baltimore Sun... Does anyone buy her "explanation"? Man, it is just beneath the surface with some people, isn't it? Makes you wonder what kind of "friends" she has, that she feels safe telling them she has a black cow named Oprah. No black ones, I bet.

February 18, 2011

A Republican leader on the Eastern Shore has angered some members of her party by having a black Angus cow named Oprah.

Diana Waterman, the newly elected First Vice Chairman of the Maryland Republican Party noted on Facebook that the family cow, Oprah, recently birthed a calf. (She joked that the newborn would not be called "Veal.")

The post caught the attention of Sveinn C. Storm, who runs a Queen Anne's County-focused
blog called "Pave Our County?" The blog mostly focuses on development related issues.

Naming a cow after an African-American talk show host who has struggled with her weight is "precisely why an enormous number of Americans view Republicans as racists," Storm wrote. He identifies himself as a Republican.

We emailed Waterman, and she had a different take. The family owns three adult cows: Oprah, Ferdinand and Isabella.

She said the black Angus was named by her children "after a famous person they admire." The two others, also named by the children, honor the Spanish monarchs who approved Christopher Columbus' trip to the New World.

"That’s all there is to it," Waterman wrote.

The Maryland state party wasn't impressed with the flap.

"With Maryland facing a record budget deficit, historic unemployment and a government that spends beyond its means - I’m not sure why we’re talking about cows when we could be addressing these real problems facing our state,” said Maryland GOP spokesman Ryan Mahoney.

Posted by Annie Linskey at 5:42 PM | Permalink | Comments (41)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 09:52 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,507,035 times
big deal. If someone named their white cow Rosie O'Donnell...nobody would bat an eye.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:52 PM

570 posts, read 882,818 times
So just b.c she is white, she can't name her cow Oprah?

I know of one black celebrity who named his black female dog Oprah. People thought it was funny.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:55 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,999 times
We should all send letters to PETA. The cow deserved a better name.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:05 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
Some people just look for a reason to get offended.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:30 PM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
This is from the Baltimore Sun... Does anyone buy her "explanation"? Man, it is just beneath the surface with some people, isn't it? Makes you wonder what kind of "friends" she has, that she feels safe telling them she has a black cow named Oprah. No black ones, I bet.

February 18, 2011

A Republican leader on the Eastern Shore has angered some members of her party by having a black Angus cow named Oprah.

Diana Waterman, the newly elected First Vice Chairman of the Maryland Republican Party noted on Facebook that the family cow, Oprah, recently birthed a calf. (She joked that the newborn would not be called "Veal.")

The post caught the attention of Sveinn C. Storm, who runs a Queen Anne's County-focused blog called "Pave Our County?" The blog mostly focuses on development related issues.

Naming a cow after an African-American talk show host who has struggled with her weight is "precisely why an enormous number of Americans view Republicans as racists," Storm wrote. He identifies himself as a Republican.

We emailed Waterman, and she had a different take. The family owns three adult cows: Oprah, Ferdinand and Isabella.
She said the black Angus was named by her children "after a famous person they admire." The two others, also named by the children, honor the Spanish monarchs who approved Christopher Columbus' trip to the New World.

"That’s all there is to it," Waterman wrote.

The Maryland state party wasn't impressed with the flap.

"With Maryland facing a record budget deficit, historic unemployment and a government that spends beyond its means - I’m not sure why we’re talking about cows when we could be addressing these real problems facing our state,” said Maryland GOP spokesman Ryan Mahoney.

Posted by Annie Linskey at 5:42 PM | Permalink | Comments (41)
Is this the same Oprah who asked Frank Purdue of Purdue Chicken, "What do you say to people who say you look like a chicken?"

Old 02-23-2011, 12:34 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,838,455 times
Maybe it's A Hindu cow?

Holy Cow!

Old 02-23-2011, 12:34 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Hold up...i gotta go find one of the many "Why Do Blacks Vote Democrat?" threads around here!

Old 02-23-2011, 12:40 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,540,716 times
Maybe i'm being insenitive but i actually laughed at the thread title. I just can't get upset at this. I have a black Lab named Kobe o

Old 02-23-2011, 12:42 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Why do people think that because someone makes a comment and they're Republican they're speaking for all REPUBLICANS?

Do people really see the world as Republican or Democrat 24 hours a day? One jerk thinks it's racist to call a cow Oprah so because a Repub said it now that means it proves REPUBLICANS are racist?

That's just the dumbest excuse to paint Republicans as racist EVER. That's the ONLY way the Dems keep people snowed.

I don't think she made a racist comment, stupid comment yeah but not racist. Does Oprah qualify as black? Yes. Is she a fatty... YES. And what?

May lightning strike anyone down who disagrees that Oprah isn't black and fat. Oh and do we use the word cow to describe an obese or overweight person... Yes.. Is it NICE? Hell no....

Poor taste, yes. Racist... NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies