Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 11:02 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times

Advertisements

Public unions force taxpayers to fund Democrats | Michael Barone | Politics | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/2011/02/public-unions-force-taxpayers-fund-democrats - broken link)

Quote:
Unions, most of whose members are public employees, gave Democrats some $400 million in the 2008 election cycle. The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, the biggest public employee union, gave Democrats $90 million in the 2010 cycle.

The money in this case comes from taxpayers, present and future, who are the source of every penny of dues paid to public employee unions, who in turn spend much of that money on politics, almost all of it for Democrats.
Taxpayers around the country are forced to support and contribute to the democrat party.

You know, if the Right had something like this kind of scheme going, I have NO DOUBT the Left would be up in arms, howling to the moon.

Why the double standard?

Just look at the "heavy hitter" in contributions:

Top All-Time Donors, 1989-2010 | OpenSecrets

If one were to look at this objectively, try to put aside your loyalty to party, can you honestly claim there is nothing corrupt or wrong with this picture?

Having unions, whose dues go to elect democrats, then those elected officials preside over contract negotiations benefiting the unions. More than just corrupt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 11:14 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,139,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Public unions force taxpayers to fund Democrats | Michael Barone | Politics | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/2011/02/public-unions-force-taxpayers-fund-democrats - broken link)

Taxpayers around the country are forced to support and contribute to the democrat party.

You know, if the Right had something like this kind of scheme going, I have NO DOUBT the Left would be up in arms, howling to the moon.

Why the double standard?

If one were to look at this objectively, try to put aside your loyalty to party, can you honestly claim there is nothing corrupt or wrong with this picture?

Having unions, whose dues go to elect democrats, then those elected officials preside over contract negotiations benefiting the unions. More than just corrupt.
Which is why you see all the liberals going crazy right now.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:18 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times
Which is why you see Republican cynically trying to break the unions using the excuse of budget problems.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:25 AM

Unions take dues and contribute to democtat ad campaigns. That money comes from.....tax payers. The dems don't care about public employees. Much like minorities, they only care about their votes. And contributions. That is why you see liberals going nuts. And they are losing this battle so far. Lets hope they lose the war.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:27 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Unions take dues and contribute to democtat ad campaigns. That money comes from.....tax payers. The dems don't care about public employees. Much like minorities, they only care about their votes. And contributions. That is why you see liberals going nuts. And they are losing this battle so far. Lets hope they lose the war.
I'm an employer--last time I paid attention, I didn't have much say in how my employees spent their paychecks--they earned their money, and they have a right to do with it as they please. By the way--public workers are tax payers too.

One more thing--any employee who doesn't want dues money used for anything but bargaining and servicing in Wisconsin can demand that--they only pay for other activities if they voluntarily do so.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:30 AM

Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I'm an employer--last time I paid attention, I didn't have much say in how my employees spent their paychecks--they earned their money, and they have a right to do with it as they please. By the way--public workers are tax payers too.

One more thing--any employee who doesn't want dues money used for anything but bargaining and servicing in Wisconsin can demand that--they only pay for other activities if they voluntarily do so.
Union members HAVE to pay dues

Old 02-23-2011, 11:31 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times
Quote:
Unions take dues and contribute to democtat ad campaigns.
Largely, yes. Unions are a key constituency of the Democratic party. This accounts for the great effort of Wisconsin Republicans to break the unions. They are hoping to weaken their political opposition.

It has nothing to do with the State budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose
That money comes from.....tax payers.
What a dumb assertion.

That money comes from Union Members. And yes, union members actually are tax payers. What an astounding coincidence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose
The dems don't care about public employees. Much like minorities, they only care about their votes. And contributions.
And how do they secure both the votes and the contributions?

By serving their constituencies.. i.e. the public employees.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:34 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

Why the double standard?

AMEN on that one!

Old 02-23-2011, 11:37 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Quote:
Y

Union members HAVE to pay dues
Do you understand why? If that employee gets into trouble--the union is required by law to represent them, and that takes staff and money. The employees also benefit from the contract negotiations the union members pay for. In lots of states they have something called "fair share." Employees can opt to only pay their "fair share" of dues for bargaining and servicing, and they can opt out of paying funds toward any other union activities--it's partial dues.

"Public workers in Wisconsin and Ohio are not required to join unions though they may be required to pay "fair share" dues if that provision is part of the contract where they work, said Davis and Sally Meckling, spokeswoman for the Ohio Civil Service Employees Association, the largest state union."

AFSCME - February 17, 2011 (http://www.afscme.org/publications/34203.cfm - broken link)

Old 02-23-2011, 11:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I do not know of any Union foolish enough to send money to any Republican. I do see really big business renting the Democrats with huge contributions with whatever is left over after buying the Republicans. We really need to separate the bought and paid for from both parties and form a political party with the working and middle class as their constitutions. As an example I would like to see a political party that supported both the goals of the SEIU and the NRA. The Tea party is not it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies