Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 06:58 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,926,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Yeah god forbid the government take care of crime. Even a libertarian would agree that a basic tenant of government is to prevent harm.
Actually, libertarians would disagree with you. We believe that you should defend yourself and not rely on the police for protection. After all, you actually do not have the right to police protection. The police are not obligated to protect all the citizens, especially in their homes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

3,595 posts, read 6,945,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
Agree!

The working will pay higher taxes to help subsidize those who are not working to use the rail. It would have been cost prohibitive for most to pay for a-ticket-to-ride, lower prices would be necessary to increase usage of the rail, thus another increase in taxes to pay for that. Another money cow created for the taxpayers to feed! And it would not be utilized as much as the politicians predicted.
Thus another failure.
Didn't realize that the unemployed were going to get free fares on the HSR or any other form of public transportation? I'm sorry Mary, but they'll still need to purchase a ticket.

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Ehhhh, who do you think builds our roads?

P-R-I-V-A-T-E enterprise. They bid for the jobs, then--get this--actually EMPLOY people to build things.

What a freaking concept!!!!
That is not entirelly true. We, here in South Florida are re-building a section of an interstate (I-595), and it will cost over 10 billion dollars, and it is being funded by a private company. It is the first privately funded road project in Florida, maybe even in US. The Feds were going to fund it and build the road with tax payer money, but it would have taken them 15 years. The private funded project will be done in 5 years. When it is done, the private company will collect the road tolls to recoup the cost and make profit.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That is not entirelly true. We, here in South Florida are re-building a section of an interstate (I-595), and it will cost over 10 billion dollars, and it is being funded by a private company. It is the first privately funded road project in Florida, maybe even in US. The Feds were going to fund it and build the road with tax payer money, but it would have taken them 15 years. The private funded project will be done in 5 years. When it is done, the private company will collect the road tolls to recoup the cost and make profit.
I don't know about you, but I vastly prefer the 5 years over the 15. Goes to show you how inefficient government is. Donald Trump proved this too when he rebuilt a city ice rink years ago. NYC would have taken years to rebuild it, and Trump dared to do it in far less time using private money, and he did it

Old 02-24-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Actually, libertarians would disagree with you. We believe that you should defend yourself and not rely on the police for protection. After all, you actually do not have the right to police protection. The police are not obligated to protect all the citizens, especially in their homes
Oh well most people I know who consider themselves libertarian have told me that they believe in the "police and the courts." I could be wrong about the real philosophy, but then again, I tend to moderate away from extremes.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Oh well most people I know who consider themselves libertarian have told me that they believe in the "police and the courts." I could be wrong about the real philosophy, but then again, I tend to moderate away from extremes.
Basically the police can exist. I think you heard it wrong. The police are there to process and book the suspects, and arrest them, and the courts are there to put them on trial. The libertarian philosophy is in a nutshell, when seconds count, the police are minutes away

Old 02-24-2011, 07:06 AM

45,214 posts, read 26,427,822 times
Quote:
No I do grasp that concept, college educated here Frank. What I don't have a problem with is that we contribute a reasonable portion of our incomes to the government which then in turn provides the services we the people expect, and vote for. When it goes to far or we loose representation and are still taxed is when I'll take to the streets, not because Obama is spending some money on a train.
Maybe you were educated abroad and just returned, but we have a debt crisis on our hands.
What that means is the taxes that were taken from us for certain services were spent on other things.
And it's because of that ongoing theft and mismanagement that Obama has no money to spend on a train, even if we consented to let him.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:06 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,396,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
it is for this reason i would stop taxing gas and i would privatize the roads. if a road can't generate enough revenue to justify its existence, it simply shouldn't be there. perhaps under those conditions some rail might make sense, but definitely not run, funded, constructed or subsidised by the taxpayer
You guys live in a fantasy world of your own. Where Adam Smith and Ayn Rand rule over a utopia where Mr. Smith makes candles and sells them to Mrs. Jones, the baker, who sells her pies to the blacksmith.

Back in "reality," and in a modern economy and society of 310 million and growing every day, most people do not like to cede democratic government control of societal functions to private industry. If private industry wants to compete with government (such as the post office and fed ex) and make their own road, then let them have at it.

Some infrastructure will NEVER be profitable. But the benefits, both tangible and non, outweigh whatever pittance of taxes.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Basically the police can exist. I think you heard it wrong. The police are there to process and book the suspects, and arrest them, and the courts are there to put them on trial. The libertarian philosophy is in a nutshell, when seconds count, the police are minutes away
You might be assuming I'm against having a .45 cal pistol in my nightstand, don't worry I'm not. I'm also for the first part of the 2nd Amendment as well which is a "Well regulated militia" aka the local cops.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:10 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,489 times
Quote:
Apply the same logic to police, fire, interstates, highways, sidewalks, courthouses, post offices, then why not? Nah, I smell tea brewing.

i would, but this is logic that most people cannot understand. the police for example are by and large, hired thugs. that has been my overwhelming experience with them. i wouldn't call them unless i had to report something for insurance purposes. the ideas we libertarians have is that people should learn to fend for themselves. policing should be more of a community function with some hired guns. not a system like uk with all hired guns protecting the unarmed masses. if libraries are so necessary, then why does the govt have to pay for them. the govt doesn't pay for video stores. personally, i don't go as far to say that the courts should be private, but many disputes are handled in that way. binding arbitration is also a lot cheaper and many would say more fair than judges for example
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies