Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 03:13 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Most of the time when people are poor it's either because they are content with being poor, they don't know how to acquire more wealth, they lack the life skills necessary to not be poor, or they have kids that they shouldn't have had.
Food stamps, officially known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, give certain low-income Americans vouchers to buy groceries.

The most recent data show roughly 44.2 million people received SNAP benefits in February, the most recent data available.
PolitiFact Georgia | Cain said food stamp program use up under Obama

That's about 1/6th of the United States population. ~300 million
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 04:13 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Being poor in America is considered being rich in most of Africa and Asia.

That is why REAL poor people fight like dogs to get to America. They see the opportunities that "poor" Americans ignore.
That is just the truth, living on welfare isn't poor compaired to other countries.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:27 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
There are definitely some people who don't mind. Hell there are a few homeless people who think it's perfectly alright. But most probably don't want to be poor.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:31 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Default Do people really think the poor want to be poor?

What is being poor?

What would be poor to you?

Is poor being homeless?

When I look around I'm not sure if we really understand what being poor is, I see people on welfare they live in a house or apartment, they have food, medical care, Tv, cell phones and such, are they poor?

Old 05-24-2011, 04:36 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
The poor can work two our three jobs and not be poor. That is what the uneducated used to do.
nobody stops them from working more or taking advantage of free adult education.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:02 PM

674 posts, read 698,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Being poor in America is considered being rich in most of Africa and Asia.

That is why REAL poor people fight like dogs to get to America. They see the opportunities that "poor" Americans ignore.
Thank you for this.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:34 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
The poor can work two our three jobs and not be poor. That is what the uneducated used to do.
nobody stops them from working more or taking advantage of free adult education.

Where is all this free adult education? Where do I sign up? I can't even find one job (no skills, over 50), where would I find two or three? I don't have a car, how would I get from home to job 1 to job 2 and back home again?

I found a great janitor job at a big tech outfit but it was swing shift and there was no way to get home at the end of the shift because it was 20 miles away and the buses didn't run that late.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:44 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Where is all this free adult education? Where do I sign up? I can't even find one job (no skills, over 50), where would I find two or three? I don't have a car, how would I get from home to job 1 to job 2 and back home again?

I found a great janitor job at a big tech outfit but it was swing shift and there was no way to get home at the end of the shift because it was 20 miles away and the buses didn't run that late.
Well, hopefully you didn't breed.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:47 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,738 times
No one can answer this question because poor people are not a monolithic group. Some are poor because of circumstances and their financial situation may be temporary, so there is a way out for them eventually. Some are poor because they're too unintelligent to solve their problems and so there will never be a way out for them. Some are poor because they are more content doing nothing to improve their life than they would be if they had to take steps to change, so they aren't really looking for a way out.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:48 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Well, hopefully you didn't breed.
Hopefully you didn't either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies