Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 11:25 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,964 times

Advertisements

Court says Illinois student has right to wear anti-gay shirt

Quote:
CHICAGO • An appeals court has upheld the rights of suburban Chicago students to wear T-shirts with the words "Be Happy, Not Gay."

The 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals' ruling Tuesday involves a dispute at Neuqua Valley High School. A teen sued in 2006 after school officials blacked out the words "Not Gay" on her T-shirt. The incident happened the day after a "Day of Silence," which was held to draw attention to the harassment of gay students.
The part that gets me is that this is an APPEAL'S court ruleing, which means the school had already lost in the lower court and decided to appeal the ruling. What a waste of our tax dollars!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 11:28 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
The part that gets me is that this is an APPEAL'S court ruleing, which means the school had already lost in the lower court and decided to appeal the ruling. What a waste of our tax dollars!
I don't think it's a waste of tax dollars at all, especially compared to unnecessary wars in the Middle East.

Defending and upholding free speech laws isn't always easy. Lots of people - both on the left and on the right - would like to suppress free speech. If a case has to go through a couple of courts in order to maintain those laws, that's totally fine with me. I actually think it's an excellent use of our tax dollars. It ensures that free speech rights will continue to be upheld.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:28 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,950,344 times
Damn, in HS I couldn't even wear a "Legallize it" shirt, some BS about educational law and no real free speech in school.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Even with the Schools extra authority and penchant for tyranny the initial action was absurd. The concept of "Free Speech" is meant to cover obnoxious speech.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:11 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,133,832 times
I got sent up to the Principal's office once for wearing a jacket that said "Reagan Hates Me."

The teacher and principal got a crash course in constitutional law that afternoon from my outraged parents...who were called and told to come pick me up because of my "offensive" and "disruptive" clothing.

30 minutes later I was back in class, with jacket, smiling at the Nazi who sent me up.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:18 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't think it's a waste of tax dollars at all, especially compared to unnecessary wars in the Middle East.

Defending and upholding free speech laws isn't always easy. Lots of people - both on the left and on the right - would like to suppress free speech. If a case has to go through a couple of courts in order to maintain those laws, that's totally fine with me. I actually think it's an excellent use of our tax dollars. It ensures that free speech rights will continue to be upheld.
I think you misunderstood. The school was AGAINST freedom of speech/expression here. They were trying to say the shirt was not allowed. They lost and then they still appealed to a higher court (where they lost again). THAT is what I was saying was a waste of tax money. Like you, I also believe freedom is worth defending. I just hope the school had to pay the kid's parents legal fees (and I wish the nitwit admin who started the whole thing had it taken out of his paycheck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I got sent up to the Principal's office once for wearing a jacket that said "Reagan Hates Me."
Why did you think Reagan hated you?

I used to have a shirt that said "He's tanned, rested and ready: Nixon '88". I bought it to get a reaction out of people but, to my disappointment at the time, almost everyone who made a comment was very supporting of the idea and wished he could run again (he couldn't as he had already been elected to two terms).

Old 03-02-2011, 12:20 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,133,832 times
Quote:

Why did you think Reagan hated you?
Honestly I can't recall. But whatever it was, it prompted me to take a Sharpie to my Army-surplus jacket.

Quote:
I used to have a shirt that said "He's tanned, rested and ready: Nixon '88". I bought it to get a reaction out of people but, to my disappointment at the time, almost everyone who made a comment was very supporting of the idea and wished he could run again (he couldn't as he had already been elected to two terms).
LOL

Old 03-02-2011, 12:43 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
I think you misunderstood. The school was AGAINST freedom of speech/expression here. They were trying to say the shirt was not allowed. They lost and then they still appealed to a higher court (where they lost again). THAT is what I was saying was a waste of tax money. Like you, I also believe freedom is worth defending. I just hope the school had to pay the kid's parents legal fees (and I wish the nitwit admin who started the whole thing had it taken out of his paycheck).
No, I understood it. These things happen. The school fought their case, and they were rebuked. The bright side is that because a higher court decided against them, it's less likely that other schools will try the same thing in the future.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:58 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
No, I understood it. These things happen. The school fought their case, and they were rebuked. The bright side is that because a higher court decided against them, it's less likely that other schools will try the same thing in the future.
Very well said, and so true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies